Very Fat bloke looking for advice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

richtea78

Theres no point mincing about with niceties, I am massively overweight and extremely unfit. I have done very little exercise for several years and nothing regular for at least 10.

Im not making excuses, I eat too much and dont do much but I decided to do something about it. I got a bike a couple of weeks ago and have been out on it most days but so far I can only manage 2 miles and thats really hard.

Ive cut down the crappy foods I used to eat, and dont drink much alchohol. I gave up smoking 6 weeks ago.

I am looking for some advice on getting a bit fitter and what I can and cant do, if any one knows any good books that would be a real help. I dont want to over do it as really I must be a heart attack just waiting to happen! But I dont want to be fat for ever, its just a case of finding a balance between too little and a heart attack!

I look forward to hearing from any advice.

gb155

Fan Boy No More.
WELL DONE on the 2 miles !

Now Read this

http://theamazing39stonecyclist.wordpress.com/about/

Then ask me ANYTHING , I want to help you out !

potsy

Rambler
Hardest part is actually making the decision to do it,which you have already done.
GB155 will give you all the advice you need,you'll wish you'd started years ago though I know I did.
Good luck.

Bayerd

Über Member
I'd say just try and push a boundary every time you go out on the bike, it could be trying to go faster than before, further than before, hillier than before etc.

You'll be surprised at how quickly you improve.

Oh, and what GB said!

NormanD

Lunatic Asylum Escapee
Need we say any more, the very man himself Gaz (gb155) is an inspiration to us all and can offer advice / help / support :blush:

2 miles is a stepping stone to many more miles, you didn't just manage the 2 miles, you achieved that 2 miles from your own determination and for that you are to be congratulated.

I wish you the very best in what you aim to achieve in weight loss ... cycling is one of the best methods IMHO you could ever employ in improving weight loss and fitness.

best wishes
Norm

gb155

Fan Boy No More.
dan_bo said:
If you enjoy being outside and riding a bike, don't worry about it too much. Ride your bike, be outside, enjoy yourself. It will come.

Here Here, Thats how it started with me, now its snowballed !:blush::biggrin::biggrin:

gb155

Fan Boy No More.
NormanD said:
Need we say any more, the very man himself Gaz (gb155) is an inspiration to us all and can offer advice / help / support :blush:

2 miles is a stepping stone to many more miles, you didn't just manage the 2 miles, you achieved that 2 miles from your own determination and for that you are to be congratulated.

I wish you the very best in what you aim to achieve in weight loss ... cycling is one of the best methods IMHO you could ever employ in improving weight loss and fitness.

best wishes
Norm

Blush Blush :biggrin:

Arch

Married to Night Train
A friend of mine reckons once you can do a distance relatively comfortably, you can then add a third to it.

So, your 2 miles becomes 2.6 and then 3 and a half, then 4 and a half etc etc. The better you get, the faster you'll improve.

But take it easy. Like the others say, you've done the hard bit, deciding to change. Also, slow steady weight loss is easier to maintain than any crash diet, so keep at it, and make your new habits easy to stick to.

Well done!

Congratulations on the non-smoking too

Like you I gave up and have weight "issues". It's been 2 1/2 years since I packed in now and the difference really hit home a couple of weeks ago.

I struggled with a cold, and cycling up a hill which I normally now stand on the pedals and climb, I was so out of breath (and painful breathing) in the lowest gear doing about 3-4mph. Then it hit me that I used to pay about £9 per day just to feel that bad!!

It will take a while for your lungs to get back to anywhere like they should be, that's a mountain in itself to climb while your lungs recover but they DO recover and it IS wrth it!

nosherduke996

Just stick with it, Honestly you will notice that after about 4 weeks of going out twice a week you will notice that the hills are becoming easyer and before you know it you will ride your first 20 plus.
And well done you are not going to regret it

nosherduke996 said:
Just stick with it, Honestly you will notice that after about 4 weeks of going out twice a week you will notice that the hills are becoming easyer and before you know it you will ride your first 20 plus.
And well done you are not going to regret it

That's definitely how it works - "before you know it"

You won't set a target, you'll just one day randomly feel like doing it. And you'll do it and be really happy about it

adds21

Rider of bikes
As others have said, stick with it, and remember that your 2 miles is an excellent achievement. I stopped smoking about 2 years ago, and starting cycling about 18 months ago. I remember very well the first few weeks on the bike when I did 1, or maybe 2 miles a night. I now just cycle without thinking about the distance, but certainly wouldn't think twice about 30 miles (and have a 70 mile ride planned in a couple of weekends). I'm lucky in as much as I was never massively overweight, but I was still a good 15kgs over my ideal... Now I'm just 5kgs over, and that's just by cycling, I eat the same as I always have (more actually since stopping smoking).

The bottom line is that enjoy cycling, and feel cheated on the rare occasions I have to drive to work rather than cycle (I would never have believed that of me 2 years ago! - Exercise was something other people did!).

Keep it up!

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Been outside for last hour, just read this thread, first thoughts GB155 or Gaz - he's the expert.

You'll get hooked. Make it part of your life, i.e. commute by bike where possible, cos you'll get fit, and the weekend 'fun' stuff will be sooooo much easier = enjoyable.....

Weight loss will come, but getting fit is the fist hurdle.

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
Probably worth having a word with your doc about it then just get out and ride the bike whenever you can.

I lost 4 stone in less than a year just by cycling and cutting back on junk foods.lots of us on here set out initially to lose a bit of weight then got hooked on cycling so carried on.

Good Luck keep us posted with your success.

Top Bottom