Very fat bloke needs advice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PpPete

Legendary Member
Cyberdad said:
I live in Chandlers Ford...my daily trip is from Chandlers Ford to Bitterne Manor,

Good distance !

+ 1 for Chandlers Ford. Let me know if I can be of any help on the maintenance. I seem to have a garage full of bike bits & tools at the moment.

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
2.2lbs to the kilo so about 6 1/3kilo to the stone. Easoer to remember is 10kg is about 1 1/2 stones

71kg = 11 stone 3 lbs
85kg = 13 stone 5 lbs (this is what I weigh now!)

In all seriousness, I was too light back in my uni days. I had little muscle. I have more muscle now, but more fat as well, although I think I am closer to my ideal weight now than I was then. 82kg and I would be happy with a bit of change to the muscle/fat ratio as well!

Now I have the new bike, I'll be seeing 82kg shortly......aye right! :blush:

OP
OP
C

Cyberdad

porkypete said:
Good distance !

+ 1 for Chandlers Ford. Let me know if I can be of any help on the maintenance. I seem to have a garage full of bike bits & tools at the moment.

Thanks for the offer Pete, although I have just bought a stand off eBay, and tools I'm not too bad for. :evil:

I went via Woodmill yesterday, and didn't realise the tide was so high :ohmy:. Water on the path was up to the top of the bottom bracket but I didn't realise until I was half way through and had lost momentum. I had to peddle, which resulted in soaking wet feet and shoes, and tea break entertainment for the council workers who were watching from their van!

magnatom said:
71kg = 11 stone 3 lbs
85kg = 13 stone 5 lbs (this is what I weigh now!)

In all seriousness, I was too light back in my uni days. I had little muscle. I have more muscle now, but more fat as well, although I think I am closer to my ideal weight now than I was then. 82kg and I would be happy with a bit of change to the muscle/fat ratio as well!

Now I have the new bike, I'll be seeing 82kg shortly......aye right! :smile:
When I started Uni I was 11st7lb. At the end of the semester I took not well and fell to 9st7lb which was definitely too light. The last time I weighed my self I was 10st7lb but I wouldn't be surprised if I'm heavier than that now; I've been trying the 'feed the cold' technique :smile:

Decani

Hi Cyberdad,

I am inspired by your hard work and dedication to a healthy lifestyle and cycling. I weigh about 22 stone and decided "it's time to get that bike out of the garage". My bike is a Halfords' Apollo Frenzy Mountain bike, it had plenty of dust on it and the tyres were as flat as pancakes. I gave it a good clean, pumped up the tyres and started to cycle around the block where I live (near Romford, Essex). The first evening (last week) was just for 10 minutes, then the next day I cycled 15 mins and tonight I managed 30 minutes. I know that it isn't a great distance, but I am trying to slowly adjust to cycling. I have a free lesson (via my local council) tomorrow evening so that I can gain confidence on the road, then hopefully I will be about to cycle to work eventually (about 9 miles). I read the threads to your post and I noticed the advice regarding slick tyres. I will do that to see if it helps cycling on the road.

Good luck!

Randochap

Senior hunter
Decani said:
Hi Cyberdad,

I am inspired by your hard work and dedication to a healthy lifestyle and cycling. I weigh about 22 stone and decided "it's time to get that bike out of the garage". My bike is a Halfords' Apollo Frenzy Mountain bike, it had plenty of dust on it and the tyres were as flat as pancakes. I gave it a good clean, pumped up the tyres and started to cycle around the block where I live (near Romford, Essex). The first evening (last week) was just for 10 minutes, then the next day I cycled 15 mins and tonight I managed 30 minutes. I know that it isn't a great distance, but I am trying to slowly adjust to cycling. I have a free lesson (via my local council) tomorrow evening so that I can gain confidence on the road, then hopefully I will be about to cycle to work eventually (about 9 miles). I read the threads to your post and I noticed the advice regarding slick tyres. I will do that to see if it helps cycling on the road.

Good luck!

Well, since Cyberdad hasn't been around for a while, let me welcome you to CC. :biggrin:

Sounds like you are approaching things the right way, especially the lessons and the slicks will definitely quieten and improve performance over knobbies.

See if you can gather any tips from the commuting section of VeloWeb.

Ben M

I've nothing to contribute to the intended topic of the thread, but may I just say, hand on heart: Chuffing good for you for trying to change your life for the better. Good luck to you mate :biggrin:

Sheepy1209

Veteran
As another newcomer to this forum, this thread sums up so many things - not just inspiration. It's very noticeable that here was a man riding a bike that wasn't up to the job, couldn't afford better, but was still trying; nobody dived in and criticised his bike, the threads on here seem to be all about cycling in its many forms, not just the bike.
A very welcoming place - keep it up!

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
Most of us here are like that. Sadly there are a few who make a name for themselves by criticising and belittling the efforts and bikes of others. Such is life......

I am very glad that you, as I do, find this forum a welcoming place.
Sheepy1209 said:
As another newcomer to this forum, this thread sums up so many things - not just inspiration. It's very noticeable that here was a man riding a bike that wasn't up to the job, couldn't afford better, but was still trying; nobody dived in and criticised his bike, the threads on here seem to be all about cycling in its many forms, not just the bike.
A very welcoming place - keep it up!

Lisa21

Mooching.............
I love this forum and am so glad I joined-everyone is so friendly and really nice, and helpful too. I belong to another forum too, a horse riding one, and the difference is noticeable-it is very bitchy and competitive and I really cant be doing with all that:sad:

Top Bottom