Very Preliminary Road Bike Research

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

HelenD123

Guru
punkypossum said:
But, but, but mickle....I haven't asked an endless question for ages - you should be thrilled!!!! :rolleyes:

Keep asking Punky!! You're a bit ahead of me in your cycling journey so will save me asking the same questions in a few months...

OP
OP
punkypossum

punkypossum

Donut Devil
HelenD123 said:
Keep asking Punky!! You're a bit ahead of me in your cycling journey so will save me asking the same questions in a few months...

Give me your password Helen, then I can post under your username and it doesn't look as if it's just me being a muppet!!! ;)

rich p

ridiculous old lush
I don't think they're numpty questions at all. I suspect you could buy almost any road bike out there and be relatively comfortable. Some on here will swear by carbon, alu or steel but I like all my bikes and I've got one of each. I was told when I got my first road bike (aluminium) that it would be more comfortable to get carbon forks - so I did. I would recommend a triple to give you lower gears but 30/26 will probably be low enough.
I would also only buy a bike with drop bars personally as I find them much more comfortable and versatile over a long ride and I alsmost never actually use the drops.

domtyler

Über Member
You want a standard road bike with a compact chainset and 23mm road tyres. Don't take half measures and compromises because of some sense of trepidation and then regret it later, it'll end up costing you far more over the long term.

Tynan

Veteran
long rides?

audax frame

comfortable?

steel frame

(fratello from Condor)

takes guards and rack if wanted, relaxed geometry, do fit free

OP
OP
punkypossum

punkypossum

Donut Devil
This is all getting even more confusing...one minute even a triple won't be enough, the next I'll be ok with a compact - argh!!! Buying a mountain bike was so much easier!!!!

I'm pretty sure I would like to avoid steel tho...unfortunately that is for purely aesthetic reasons - just don't like the look of the skinny tubes. I know there is more important things than looks, but still...;)

rich p

ridiculous old lush
punkypossum said:
This is all getting even more confusing...one minute even a triple won't be enough, the next I'll be ok with a compact - argh!!! Buying a mountain bike was so much easier!!!!

:

I prefer triples as they give you the option of lower gears (Ithink).

domtyler

Über Member
rich p said:
I prefer triples as they give you the option of lower gears (Ithink).

You sure 'bout that? Why wouldn't a triple be able to give a very low gear?

PP, keep things simple, that was what I really wanted my earlier message to be.

Don't get involved with all the different options available nowadays, they are mostly for the benefit of the sales and marketing departments than the end user.

Go for a straightforward road bike that fits you perfectly.

Tynan

Veteran
modern steel frames aren't skinny to my knowledge because of the advantages of modern over sized tubing

steel frame soaks up a load of the road buzz, carbon forks/seat post too

Condor.jpg

i think you may be better asking some of the ribble valley crc, or other preston area, women about gearing, most will have done the climbs and areas that you're thinking of riding in .
look on a club as a knowledge base both for bikes and looking after them. lots of free advice and probably help based on experience of the area.
personally when i'm not on fixed i have a triple with 30x26 bottom gear and have used it many times on the longer climbs, including the couple mentioned earlier, round here when it's been windy or i've just wanted an easier climb..

OP
OP
punkypossum

punkypossum

Donut Devil
Good idea, have emailed Ribble Valley CC and now have a phone number to ring for some further info, so will try to milk them for a bit more local gearing knowledge...

I read in the CTC mag that audax bikes often provide more hill-friendly gears, so that is looking more and more like an option...

Still alll very confusing!!!! ;)

Top Bottom