Very Preliminary Road Bike Research

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Chris James

Über Member
punkypossum said:
Also, my mountain bike weighs 28 pounds and most of the audax ones seem to be around 24 or more - I would like to lose weight by switching to a road bike, but will 4 pounds or so really make much difference?

Yes, a massive difference between any road bike and a mountain bike. But not due to the weight difference particularly. My brother in law has a very expensive mountain bike that probably weighs less than my audax bike (his wheels alone cost £500). We went for a ride together (and swapped bikes half way round). The audax bike was at least 4 mph faster. Presumably down to the lower rolling resistance of the tyres and the lack of energy loss while pedalling due to the absence of suspension?

I was surprised how dramatic the difference was, as soon as I applied any effort my brother in law disappeared backwards and I had to wait for him. But when I was on his bike I couldn't get anywhere near him so the difference was definitely the bike and not the rider!

Second all the good advice already given and add that it does sound like you want an Audax bike, they are more comfortable than an out and out rode bike and whilst not as responsive as a race bike are not as slow as a tourer, so a half way house you can use for both. They are also generally more upright a position.

You need to ride a few more, maybe even hire a road bike somewhere for the day, get used to it and then you'll start to feel the difference. Remeber how your mtn bike suddenly felt short as you got used to it, so the stretched feeling on a road bike will go when you adjust ot it.

OP
OP
punkypossum

punkypossum

Donut Devil
Just had a look at some of the stuff going on ebay to get a better idea what is out there and came across this:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=190229894618&ssPageName=ADME:X:RTQ:GB:1123

Would something like that be a good idea? I had a look at some reviews and they all state that the geometry is quite upright and the reach fairly short (and it fulfils my wish for a sloping top tube). I know it's an older model that appears to be no longer made and I won't put a bid in anyway as I can't try it, but just wondered if it is generally a good bike and if so, is there maybe some "modern day" equivalent...

Danny

Legendary Member
In general I think you will find that pure road bikes are not really designed for riding in a more upright position, so you need to be certain that you can set up any given bike in the way you want.

Having said that the Sequoia Elite on eBay does look like it would allow you to ride fairly upright.

For a current equivalent what about a Specilized Dolce which is "designed by women for women". More generally Edinburgh Bicycle Co-op seems pretty clued up on the needs of women cyclists so it might be worth you paying a visit to their Manchester branch.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Dannyg said:
More generally Edinburgh Bicycle Co-op seems pretty clued up on the needs of women cyclists so it might be worth you paying a visit to their Manchester branch.
If you do end up around Manchester, and want a poke at an SCR2, mine is just down the road from the Edinburgh Bike Co-op most weekdays (Large frame).

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
I'd second looking at a Giant SCR2.
Slightly more relaxed riding position, nice frame, Tiagra, will take full mudguards and a rack for Audax/very light touring. Lighter wheels and tyres would make it a real screamer. The riding position seems very good with plent of adjustment bar-wise. Worth a test-run.
Cara in C+ tested the womens version and rated it highly. Good value for money.
Agree, you'll need a "mens" version for your size, but that's no issue.

A more expensive choice would be the Salsa Casserole at around £800, a sprightly Cr-Mo frame suitable for zipping around and also light Touring/Audax duties. Old-fashioned horizontal dropouts means could be converted to fixed duties for the winter (we used to do that back in the old-days!). The casserole is on my "I want one of those list". Also given top marks by C+

http://www.salsacycles.com/casserollComp08.html

How beautiful is that!

Finally, my other current fave is the Condor Fratello.... Mmmm
http://www.condorcycles.com/audax.html

Choices choices!

OP
OP
punkypossum

punkypossum

Donut Devil
Fab Foodie said:
I'd second looking at a Giant SCR2.
Slightly more relaxed riding position, nice frame, Tiagra, will take full mudguards and a rack for Audax/very light touring. Lighter wheels and tyres would make it a real screamer. The riding position seems very good with plent of adjustment bar-wise.
Worth a test-run.
Cara in C+ tested the womens version and rated it highly. Good value for money.
Agree, you'll need a "mens" version for your size, but that's no issue.

A more expensive choice would be the Salsa Casserole at around £800, a sprightly Cr-Mo frame suitable for zipping around and also light Touring/Audax duties. Old-fashioned horizontal dropouts means could be converted to fixed duties for the winter (we used to do that back in the old-days!). The casserole is on my "I want one of those list". Also given top marks by C+

http://www.salsacycles.com/casserollComp08.html

How beautiful is that!

Finally, my other current fave is the Condor Fratello.... Mmmm
http://www.condorcycles.com/audax.html

Choices choices!

That's what I liked about the SCR when I first looked at it, but then got all confused by some people saying it might be overgeared for the local hills...

And don't all the SCR's creak like hell?

That Fratello is gorgeous!!! (Well, it is at the moment, haven't seen the price tag yet :angry:)

Tynan

Veteran
my Fratello is on the stand with new pads as I type

haven't got one bad thing to say about it

£799 inc guards and rack, be wrn3d though that it was a five week order time when I did it

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Tynan said:
my Fratello is on the stand with new pads as I type

haven't got one bad thing to say about it

£799 inc guards and rack, be wrn3d though that it was a five week order time when I did it

Bargain IMO! (no not jealous really... much, at all... bastard :angry:)

yenrod

>punkypossum

Sounds like you have longer legs than upper body.

Cycling - off the peg wise, caters for your body type most often than the reverse.

You shouldnt have a prob. with finding a comfortable road bike than MTB's generally which have a longer TT.

Whereas roadybikes have shorter T.Tubes ! generally

I dont study MTB's now - but I do know that Orange back in their day kicked off short top-tube model bikes.

I feel though the Americans (as they marketed and pretty much invented the MTB) realised the fact that you cant extend the position of the MTB and made the TT long and its better for balance anyway.

I feel if you get a bunch of cyclists together you'll find quite a lot aren't on the correct sized~bike..its difficult as you may like a certain bike paint-scheme and componentry etc...yet the sizing will be well off your dimentions.

All the best on your choice.

Tynan

Veteran
Fab Foodie said:
Bargain IMO! (no not jealous really... much, at all... bastard :angry:)

people say they're overpriced but It was exactly what I wanted I think

do bear in mind that I was flogging a ten year old cheap junker in the final stages of collapse for six months waiting for the insurance to settle

PP - I have the answer to your question

Specialized WSD. Obvious enough, but founded on personal observation

Mrs L, who is not fit, not skinny, and is 48 years old (makes plans to move into shed - after having constructed shed) has moved from a hybrid direct to a Specialized Ruby Pro. The geometry is fantastic. The ride is fantastic. The saddle is microscopic, but she says it's very comfortable. She doesn't need bit for racks - she has a husband (albeit one who will shortly be living in a shed). It has 20 gears, with a 50/34 on the front - and that is fine for her, and should be for you. Now - the price is something else (you can still get a 2007 model for under £2k) but Specialized make a variety of versions from the Dolce (leave well alone) to the Ruby Pro. It's a question of checking what you can get for what you want to spend. Any shifter system from Ultegra up is going to be fabulous, and long-lasting. The more carbon the better.

The largest frame size is 56, which is about 1cm under the ideal for your height, but, given your long legs I'd have thought a test ride would be well worth while. You might need a longer stem, but then again you might not. You'll probably need a longer seat post, but there's a lot of length on Mrs Ls seatpost.

Good luck.

OP
OP
punkypossum

punkypossum

Donut Devil
simon l& and a half said:
PP - I have the answer to your question

Specialized WSD. Obvious enough, but founded on personal observation

Mrs L, who is not fit, not skinny, and is 48 years old (makes plans to move into shed - after having constructed shed) has moved from a hybrid direct to a Specialized Ruby Pro. The geometry is fantastic. The ride is fantastic. The saddle is microscopic, but she says it's very comfortable. She doesn't need bit for racks - she has a husband (albeit one who will shortly be living in a shed). It has 20 gears, with a 50/34 on the front - and that is fine for her, and should be for you. Now - the price is something else (you can still get a 2007 model for under £2k) but Specialized make a variety of versions from the Dolce (leave well alone) to the Ruby Pro. It's a question of checking what you can get for what you want to spend. Any shifter system from Ultegra up is going to be fabulous, and long-lasting. The more carbon the better.

The largest frame size is 56, which is about 1cm under the ideal for your height, but, given your long legs I'd have thought a test ride would be well worth while. You might need a longer stem, but then again you might not. You'll probably need a longer seat post, but there's a lot of length on Mrs Ls seatpost.

Good luck.

Thanks again for all your help guys...:smile: Simon, what is wrong with the Dolce??? Quite liked the look of the elite....:wacko:

Chris James

Über Member
punkypossum said:
Thanks again for all your help guys...:smile: Simon, what is wrong with the Dolce??? Quite liked the look of the elite....:wacko:

Perhaps it isn't expensive enough for Simon to consider?

I have 105 shifters on my bike and they are smooth and I have had no problems with them. So I would take issuse with his comment about Ultegra and upwards only to be considered.

Top Bottom