Very scary overtake

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

domtyler

Über Member
Jacomus-rides-Gen said:
That was seriously nasty!! Glad your ok Mag, though you are going to have to do a fair old amount of cycling to get back the time that he took off your life!!!

A horrible reminder of your mortality, perpetuated by yet another moron in a cage.

I'll still bet that you need to go through thousands [or at least hundreds] of close misses to get an actual impact for an experienced cyclist.

domtyler said:
I'll still bet that you need to go through thousands [or at least hundreds] of close misses to get an actual impact for an experienced cyclist.

Is that impact in years removed through fright, or through collision?

My original comment meant that the tonk had taken some time off Mag by giving him such a fright, and because cycling adds time to ones life, he would have to do extra to get back what the moton took away!

Maybe i should just think these things :biggrin:

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
So what's the right way to ride a road like this? I think I would go in primary, but that's not essentially different to Magnatom's strong secondary. I might add a continuous, random and small wobble too, just to scare the drivers away from me.

To be fair though, I don't think you did anything "wrong", but I'm just wondering what might be done better, if anything.

Terminator said:
They always do that.Do a dodgy overtake and then stop at the next set of lights where you catch them up.;)
Yeah either that or they pull out of a side road cutting you (in the words of Nelson, I see no bikes) and then immediately pull off at the next road, usually without indicating.

davidtq

This is the thing with cycling isnt it, we do all we can to avoid incidents and manage to cut them down by doing so but pure stupidity you are never going to be able to stop ;).

Some drivers are capable of running into the back of a double decker bus HGV in broad day light in traffic...

OP
OP
M

magnatom

BentMikey said:
So what's the right way to ride a road like this? I think I would go in primary, but that's not essentially different to Magnatom's strong secondary. I might add a continuous, random and small wobble too, just to scare the drivers away from me.

To be fair though, I don't think you did anything "wrong", but I'm just wondering what might be done better, if anything.

Mike,
I have often asked myself that question with regards to this stretch of road.

I do often have a look back to try and catch the eye of approaching cars, but sometimes you just miss one like this chap. He came at me fast and I didn't see him in my previous look.

I am tempted to go for full primary here. The only thing holding me back is the speed oft the cars. I hit about 18-20mph along here, once I get going (it is slightly uphill, so not too bad!). The speed limit is 30mph, but cars often break this and do close to or just over 40mph. They want to get through the traffic lights at Anniesland cross before they go red, so that they can join the next queue.

As speeding is an issue here I wonder if any traffic calming might help, although I'm not sure what. The road as it is encourages breaking the speed limit so something probably needs to be done. Does anyone have any ideas (I could mention it in my forthcoming interview!;)

OP
OP
M

magnatom

Jacomus-rides-Gen said:
My original comment meant that the tonk had taken some time off Mag by giving him such a fright, and because cycling adds time to ones life, he would have to do extra to get back what the moton took away!

Maybe i should just think these things ;)

I knew what you meant Jacomus! Dom's just a wee bit slow sometimes....;)

OP
OP
M

magnatom

davidtq said:
This is the thing with cycling isnt it, we do all we can to avoid incidents and manage to cut them down by doing so but pure stupidity you are never going to be able to stop ;).

Some drivers are capable of running into the back of a double decker bus HGV in broad day light in traffic...

True, but I suppose there is risk in everything we do. We just have to do our best to minimise that risk.

The best way to minimise risk for cyclists is to get more cyclists on the roads. That's the problem in Glasgow. There are cyclists but far too few to have ann impact on drivers' consciousness.

Janeyb

That was mental - both the overtake and the undertake. What is wrong with people. I must admit.....I have a near miss most days in Cambridge. Despite cycle lanes which I obviously use for their intended purpose, cars think they can just nip round me and pull in to turn or park on the kerb. It's crazy. And it the lovely wind we had last week - I was trying to hold the bike steady in a crosswind and had a lovely bus driver pass me - his tyres cutting accross the white line of the bike lane and then he pulled in at the bus stop and slammed his brakes on. Admittedly around Cambridge some cyclists give us a bad name with their constant flouting of the rules but you can't tar us all with the same brush.
Anyway...I digress....glad you're ok.

the reluctant cyclist

Über Member
I have had that exact overtake done on me - it scared me witless!

The roads were really empty too and I can't understand why the chap cut in so quick on me when he could have just stayed in the outside lane.

I, just like you, caught up with my overtaker later on. It was on a three lane one way system and we were in opposite lanes - I saw him looking over and I was tempted to go over but in the end didn't. I did give him a finger though - idiot!

(In light of recent events in Liverpool I'm now glad!)

I was riding primary - bang smack in the middle of the road and I think that my cyling gear is bright enough. It was a dry, light, clear day and I could see no reason for it.

Sometimes it doesn't matter what you do - still makes me shudder though to think how close he came and for NO reason!

Glad you are okay and well done for staying on - and more calm than I did!!!

Top Bottom