Vibration when using front brake

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mick54

Hi folks,any thoughts on the following problem thats just recently started .
After heading down steep hill,applying the front brake gradually,the bike vibrates excessively to the point of not being able to hold on.

First thought i had a puncture but after releasing the brake it stopped and had to slow down using the rear .

It has happened three times on the same hill but doesn't appear to happen anywhere else.

Nothing is loose on the front end and bike is approx 4 months old with disc brakes

Any feedback appreciated

vickster

Legendary Member
Warped rotor?

Cycleops

Legendary Member
The first thing to do is check the bolts holding the discs are tight or if it’s a centre lock that’s secure. After that spin the wheel and see If the disc runs true. If it’s only just started could be something has worked loose or the disc have taken a knock. Check the pads too, any oily stuff? Could be leaking fluid but you didn’t say if hydraulic or cable, but my money would be on the discs.
If you bought it locally run it back there. Alternatively don’t go down that hill ^_^.

OP
OP
M

Mick54

Warped rotor?
Not sure but hopefully not,but something i,ll check out

OP
OP
M

Mick54

Is it the hill or the speed? Can you get to the same speed somewhere else to see if the vibration happens?
Very good question and its something i,ll have to investigate,i can't recall it happening on any other hill but after the recent event it something i,ll have to be get my finger out and pinpoint the problem as its very dangerous

Reactions: C R

mustang1

Guru
Does the wobble occur when you apply the brakes beyond a certain pressure?
Like the others mentioned, it sounds like warped disks or brake pads not held in place firmly.

Top Bottom