Video guide: How To Adjust The Limiter Screws On A Rear Derailleur.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

screenman

Legendary Member
No.
I don't have a tool to adjust alignment and figured as the bike is brand new and has had no knocks it's more likely to be an issue of the cables settling in and derailleur needing re-indexing than the hanger having been bent. More naivety on my part?
How would I check the alignment? Just using a straight edge and my eyes?! It is supposed to hang at precisely 90 degrees (as in from the bike staright down towards the floor with no hint of a diagonal)?

I suppose there will be a way without the correct tool, but they are well worth the investment, I have never once checked as bike and I have checked a lot of them that did not need tweeking. Even my bikes that never get knocked go out of alignment after a couple of thousand miles.

OP
OP
leonardodaforce

leonardodaforce

Thanks for the helpful videos :smile:

One quick naive question - when you say to "ensure that it's turned about 3 quarters of the way clockwise" - do you simply mean turn it 3/4 of one whole revolution clockwise from wherever it currently sits (not sure how this would make sense as I don't see how everyone's barrel adjusters would will be positioned equally to start with)? Or 3/4 of the way along the cable (does it move back and forth along the cable as you turn it clockwise/anti-clockwise)? Only I can't see any markings on the barrel or the cable to denote degrees of movement....

I've done just over 200 miles on my new bike (Shimano Tiagra like in your video) and am experiencing some slippage in two of the middle gears on the rear cassette so want to get used to adjusting them myself but am fearful of making matters worse. Thanks for your help.
Hi there EasyPeez, I just mean to have the barrel adjuster turned clockwise before you start making the adjustments. It gives you the maximum amount of anti-ckockwise (basically cable tension) adjustment when you do start. Good luck and I hope you manage to sort it out.

Top Bottom