Video : Red light jumper near miss

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Norm

Indeed, Halo might have scratched her new Secteur and that would have been a very bad thing. :smile:

Jayzuz keryst on a crutch, my snippet valve was in danger of venting, and I was a spectator!!
I can only assume that peds watching an approaching cyclist think "ah, it's only a bike" as in, if he hits me it won't hurt much. I I could remember half the physics I was taught I'd be able to work out, with your mass and that of the bike, how much potential energy was barelling along the road towards them!
The rider of that bike (gender uncertain) at least had the good grace to look slightly shocked when they finally saw you.
I'd love to sit in a car with a regular RLJer in the passenger seat and jump every red light I saw. You can bet your bottom dollar they'd say summat!

nich

Crikey, my heart started racing then :biggrin:

I can only hope that they learnt a valuable lesson from this and won't do it again :

Texas_rp

It still surprizes me that so many cyclists jump red lights. Do they not care about their safety? Or that of others? It doesn't help when representatives of certain cycling campaigns say live on the BBC it's safer for cyclists to jump reds!!! In 16 years of cycling, I've only been knocked off 3 times and the worst was when I was hit by a RLJ. Completely destroyed my front wheel and she still shouted it was my fault as it was her right of way. Unbelievable. Unfortunatey, can't stop the jaywalkers as it's not illegal in the UK though cycling through red lights is, not that some cyclists know or care.

Great swerve out of the way though.

SimonC

potsy said:
Wow that was a close one Halo:ohmy: great look of surprise on his face on the slow-mo:smile: You'd like to think he's learnt his lesson,but sadly I doubt it.
Hopefully all those who do RLJ will watch this vid and have a think about what they're doing.

Unlikely, cos they are brainless, thoughtless w*****s, who dont consider other peoples safety, only the importance of not wasting a few seconds of their self-important time.

Rant over.

I hate RLJ'ers and feel embarrassed as a cyclist when I see it.

Rant really over.:ohmy:

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
A fair quote...

SimonC said:
Unlikely, cos they are brainless, thoughtless w*****s, who dont consider other peoples safety, only the importance of not wasting a few seconds of their self-important time.

Rant over.

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
SimonC said:

Rant over.

Nice Rant 10/10 Totally agree

Does anyone else deliberately position their bike at an awkward angle at a RL if you know you're going to be stopped for a while just to discourage/annoy other cyclists thinking about RLJing?

In my experience most RLJs tend to filter down the inside of traffic so scooting the rear wheel round towards the kerb at least forces them to slow down and swerve round the outside of me.

martint235

Dog on a bike
Years ago I used to see the same RLJer at the same set of lights each morning. One morning after a quick peek behind to make sure he was on his way, I had a really good stretch and yawn, arms out wide. There was a lot of squealing of brakes and cursing to which I responded "Sorry but surely you were stopping anyway as the light is red!"

:smile:

Ste T.

Guru
What a tit.
It wasn't helped by the fact that everybody was crossing on red so he was blindsided by the crowd. This is a good example of the sort of herd mentality that goes on at crossings. People who may be more tuned in to whats coming if they were crossing on their own ,switch off a bit in a crowd.
Several years ago now I was waiting to cross on a pelican on Lord St Southport , It's a wide road with a central refuge. It was on green for the traffic and there were some cars coming along, but being the young agile 40 yearold I was ,I decide that I had time to reach the middle so I quickly trotted over. As I got to the centre I heard a screech of tyres and turned around thinking it was some driver over reacting. It wasn't.
A little old dear who saw me cross and asumed the lights had changed, followed me out. It was only the quick reactions of the driver that saved her life.
Sitting here now, ten years on, I still feel sick whenever I think about it. I've never seen such a near miss and how she never had a heart attack with the shock I don't know.
At the time I thought she had been lucky, but the truth is that Iwas the lucky one.
I would have found it very difficult coming to terms with what happened, even though
I didn't know she was there and I think many people would say it wasn't my fault.
It taught me a very important lesson. When we're going about our busy lives we tend to go around in a little bubble. Thinking about picking the kids up...mustn't forget to pay that bill, what shall I make for tea tonight.
The lesson, for me, was to think about others at crossings. It's easy done and doesn't take much effort. Now ,on my bike, it's given me a good insight to the seemingly stupid things that people do...
But the guy in the film is still a tit.

GrasB

Veteran
On the other hand though you're not responsible for the actions & decisions of others around you. At some point the person who chose to do that needs to take the responsibility of those actions.

When I'm crossing or pulling onto a busy road on my bike I know how fatigued my legs are & thus how fast I can accelerate (which can be seriously quick) I don't know about the person behind me so how can I decide if it's safe for both of us to go?

Top Bottom