Video : Red light jumper near miss

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
HaloJ

HaloJ

Rabid cycle nut
Crankarm said:
Looking at the footage 53 seconds in, at the rider, they might not be a man, but a woman.

Aye I think you're right. At the time my eyes were fixed firmly on the edge of the front wheel hoping to hell my pedal was going to miss it.

Cripes maybe it was the girl I admonished earlier and she teleported to a point later in my commute to take me out! :biggrin:

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
Certainly was close. If (s)he chooses to RLJ against a couple of tons of metal then its her lookout, but risking your safety is not good.

OP
OP
HaloJ

HaloJ

Rabid cycle nut
BentMikey said:
One suggestion - the first 30s of that clip could have stayed on the cutting room floor.

Suggestion taken and accepted. Thought it would help to show that I was potentially the last vehicle in the line of traffic.

Norm

BentMikey said:
One suggestion - the first 30s of that clip could have stayed on the cutting room floor.
Aye, but our Halo does have a scary turn of speed which is impressive to watch. :biggrin:

Halo, does your video editor have the option to slow the video without affecting the audio? You sound a little, ahem, butch in the slomo version. :biggrin:

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Yes, if that was my video I would also be extremely tempted to leave in that first 30s. It's very good speed, but it's not too relevant to the incident itself.

OP
OP
HaloJ

HaloJ

Rabid cycle nut
Norm said:
Aye, but our Halo does have a scary turn of speed which is impressive to watch. :biggrin:

Halo, does your video editor have the option to slow the video without affecting the audio? You sound a little, ahem, butch in the slomo version. :wacko:

Not sure about that. I just use Windows Movie Maker which I'm still getting to grips with. I've always thought the cams microphone made me sound butch. :laugh: I was going to joke about reverse "Magnatomism" :biggrin:

Speed wise my stats were up today with a 14.8 average and a 33 max and I really, really love my new bike! Even if it has got Cherry Active spilt on the frame due to forgetting to seal the bottle. :biggrin:

Notsoblue

What a close shave! That must have been quite a shock.

Having had plenty of near misses (and even one fairly serious collision) with pedestrians who have just blindly walked out into the road, I can understand your shock and indignation. Especially when you're going along at a nice pace, and are trying to beat the lights. That bit of road is part of my daily commute and it can be pretty dicey. I guess I just accept the fact that people cross the road like sheep in some parts of London and adjust my cycling accordingly.

Bit churlish to pick out the cyclist from that big group of pedestrians for special vitriol though. :wacko:

Sh4rkyBloke

Jaffa Cake monster
HaloJ said:
Not sure about that. I just use Windows Movie Maker which I'm still getting to grips with. I've always thought the cams microphone made me sound butch. :wacko: I was going to joke about reverse "Magnatomism" :laugh:

Speed wise my stats were up today with a 14.8 average and a 33 max and I really, really love my new bike! Even if it has got Cherry Active spilt on the frame due to forgetting to seal the bottle. :biggrin:
You can simply mute the sound on the section which is speeded up/slowed down, it's what I do as it sounds rather odd otherwise.

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
Notsoblue said:
Bit churlish to pick out the cyclist from that big group of pedestrians for special vitriol though. :wacko:

To be fair the peds could see the OP and planning to pass behind him. The idiot red light jumper could not and had assumed the road was clear

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
Crankarm said:
LOL the fecking idiot is wearing a hi-viz gilet and trainers :laugh:! I would have turned around, gone after him and given him some major abuse for such dangerous cycling. Unbelievable. A name and shame website for RLJers would be a good idea. I'm all for the police standing on junctions catching these menaces to boost their coffers. £100 a time seems appropriate. I had one almost take me out when I was on a controlled ped crossing in Cambridge. I would happily ram a rolled up umbrella through their spokes :wacko:.

Not really seeing the expected 'calming' of the Crankytrain following your exit from cycling here. But you will need to explain the problem with a hi-viz gilet and trainers.

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
MacB said:
Not really seeing the expected 'calming' of the Crankytrain following your exit from cycling here. But you will need to explain the problem with a hi-viz gilet and trainers.

The helmet, gilet (and mirror FFS!) are all part of the theatre of safety that cyclists are encouraged to wear by the HC. The trainers are just a dreadful fashion faux pas........:smile:

gouldina

Crikey that was close. The "encroaching pedestrian" thing is quite annoying too though I think. It's less of a problem when there's one or two of them but sometimes on my trip to work it's a bit like Frogger and I struggle to keep track of all their trajectories and whether they look like they've seen me or not.

Top Bottom