Views on (Fend) / folding bicycle helmets

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
I've never worn any kind of helmet for the sort of riding you're intending to use one for. Very occasionally, I use a cheap conventional one for MTB riding in woods, as I don't enjoy accidentally bashing the top of my nut on low branches, 'cause it ****ing hurts!

hatler

Guru
The conservative approach would surely be to cycle in a manner where you won't get knocked off / fall off. Think of all the money and space you save by taking that option.

icowden

Veteran
The park and diamond helmet looks interesting and seems* to be backed up by some science in that they demonstrate impact distribution.

*only scientific data provided by the company making the product though

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
By far the most useful and functional aspect of my helmet is, that when I stop at a shop to buy some drinks and snacks it doubles up as (rather small) basket. I can also put my GPS in there while I'm in the shop. Folding is incompatible with this use and therefore I am not interested in one.

Not that anyone asked/cared but there it is.

OP
OP
S

snazpizaz

thanks folks:

1. Avoiding being knocked off bike = leave my home town of London - not an option.
2. Not wearing a helmet on urban flats. Well that's also something i've done all my life to date. However, now i'm in my mid-50s, bashing the head in any type of collision comes with risk of greater consequences. I'm inclined to think that it's wise to wear a helmet if you're over 50 in London.
3. Basket case - I can see the attraction of using a helmet as a basket. Correction tho - a folding helmet can also be used as a basket AND has the added feature of being folded away.

I've located samples to view:
The Overade Plixi is available at Condor Cycles in Greys Inn Rd, London.
https://www.condorcycles.com/collections/overade
The Hedkayse is sold by Push in Newington Grn but samples are held at Brompton: Covent Garden/ Westfield.
https://www.hedkayse.com/pages/stockists
The FEND and Diamond and Park are both NYC based so viewing isn't an option. I'll let you know how i got on.

s:tongue:

classic33

Leg End Member
Doesn't fold that small it seems

https://thingsthatfold.com/fend/

OP
OP
S

snazpizaz

I thought the FEND fold design and fold size was good, the former poss a better solution than the Overade Plixi . Also it's design is the least cheesy on the head of the solid construction types. I'm not so sure about the vents/vent straps. In British weather that's a lot of ventilation maybe.
That review must be a little old - i've been in touch with FEND and got a 30% discount code off them too. Supply isn't currently an issue. But there's a 20% VAT duty to pay for importing it from NYC to UK.

classic33

Leg End Member
I thought the FEND fold design and fold size was good, the former poss a better solution than the Overade Plixi . Also it's design is the least cheesy on the head of the solid construction types. I'm not so sure about the vents/vent straps. In British weather that's a lot of ventilation maybe.
That review must be a little old - i've been in touch with FEND and got a 30% discount code off them too. Supply isn't currently an issue. But there's a 20% VAT duty to pay for importing it from NYC to UK.
Try getting it classed as PPE, VAT is zero on it.

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
I expect this has already been posted, but that is a solution to a problem that doesn’t exist. There’s no benefit to that helmet over any other, you’ve still got to schlep the thing around.

Drago

Legendary Member
Would you buy the following with hinges built into them:

Condoms.

Safety boots.

Cricket box.

Bullet proof vest.

Motorcyclists spinal armour.

Motorcycling gloves.

This answer is now, because it's a stupid idea. So why all of a sudden would you consider a helmet with hinges in it? Safety equipment is either designed with the performance of its safety characteristics as its overriding priority, or it isn't.

Top Bottom