Views/opinions/insights please?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

betty swollocks

large member
I will try and keep it brief.
Last year (august) I bought a beautiful Focus Izalco Max from a well-known bike shop (shopP) 100 miles from where I live.
Beautiful ride, but it soon developed creaks. I eliminated these by greasing the headset and bb assembly - it has one one these one-piece bb axles and spider - two dead easy jobs. But I also had a great deal of trouble getting the rear RAT thru axle in and out, which made me think the holes for it in the drop outs were slightly miss-aligned. All of these made me think it was not terribly well made or assembled.
Three weeks ago, I was out on it and it suddenly starting making dull clinking noises, one per revolution.
When I got home, I found the whole bb assembly, including the bearings was completely loose and was rotating in the bb shell.
Took it to my (very friendly and helpful) LBS, who had the correct tools to dis-assemble the bb: they found that the rotation of the whole bb assembly and my cycling action had ovalised the bb shell.
As the shopP is such a way away, I let my LBS handle it.
After many phone calls and the sending of photos and videos from the LBS to shopP, shopP after consulting with the Focus rep and Focus in Germany have decided to replace the frame. LBS have retained the frame and taken all the bits off, ready to fit on replacement frame.
Yesterday, after getting very impatient, I rang shopP to ask where my replacement frame was: they said it had arrived and they would ship it to LBS. It would be the frame only, without forks and that the fault had arisen because the bb shell was the wrong size!!
I went round to LBS to tell them and they said, yes, they'd had a call to that effect from shopP.
LBS also said that one of the conditions shopP stipulated before ordering my replacement frame was that the defective frame be chopped up to prevent re-sale and they showed me the bb shell hacksawed out of the old frame, a picture of which they'd had to send to shopP. I was pretty shocked that MY bike had been hacksawed in two without either shop asking me first..... but I didn't say so.
Thought I'd ask for opinions first.....if you've got this far.

MY LBS is not a Focus dealer.
In letting LBS handle it, I'd hoped to save myself several 100 mile journeys.
My insights so far:-
a) always buy from your LBS.
b) don't assume that because the bike you've bought is a premium brand, it's going to be well-made or carefully assembled.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I have little general faith in bike warranties, so well done for getting a replacement frame which seems a fair resolution.

Seems to me the LBS has taken a risk chopping your frame before the new one is in their hands.

If it doesn't turn up, they are into you for a new one.

Looks like the original shop has acted reasonably well so far, so it's likely they will send the frame and all should - eventually - be well.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
I can understand them wanting to prevent resale of the frame, but without getting into points of law it would have been common courtesy to advise you what was needed and to get your agreement first.
Ultimately, while it is your bike and they should have asked, what would you have said? If you'd refused to allow the destruction of the old frame it's highly unlikely that they'd have shipped the new one.

Edit to add - that's why I bought my bikes locally (admittedly from a big name), so that in the event of anything going wrong the shop is a couple of miles away and the bike can be easily taken to them to sort out. I'm not saying that distance buying is a bad thing, but I wasn't personally comfortable with it in those circumstances.

S-Express

Interesting spelling of the word 'shopP'...

Warranty returns usually do get destroyed, or prevented from being re-sold in some other way. It's normal.

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
I'd be unhappy about not be informed but probably wouldn't put a jihad on them as long as the problem gets sorted. It's difficult to get too stroppy with the LBS because I'm not sure how they're covering costs for their time.

Since when did Focus become a premium brand?
The moment Betty swung his leg over the frame. :becool:

Interesting spelling of the word 'shopP'...
Wiggle!

I will try and keep it brief.
Last year (august) I bought a beautiful Focus Izalco Max from a well-known bike shop (shopP) 100 miles from where I live.
Beautiful ride, but it soon developed creaks. I eliminated these by greasing the headset and bb assembly - it has one one these one-piece bb axles and spider - two dead easy jobs. But I also had a great deal of trouble getting the rear RAT thru axle in and out, which made me think the holes for it in the drop outs were slightly miss-aligned. All of these made me think it was not terribly well made or assembled.
Three weeks ago, I was out on it and it suddenly starting making dull clinking noises, one per revolution.
When I got home, I found the whole bb assembly, including the bearings was completely loose and was rotating in the bb shell.
Took it to my (very friendly and helpful) LBS, who had the correct tools to dis-assemble the bb: they found that the rotation of the whole bb assembly and my cycling action had ovalised the bb shell.
As the shopP is such a way away, I let my LBS handle it.
After many phone calls and the sending of photos and videos from the LBS to shopP, shopP after consulting with the Focus rep and Focus in Germany have decided to replace the frame. LBS have retained the frame and taken all the bits off, ready to fit on replacement frame.
Yesterday, after getting very impatient, I rang shopP to ask where my replacement frame was: they said it had arrived and they would ship it to LBS. It would be the frame only, without forks and that the fault had arisen because the bb shell was the wrong size!!
I went round to LBS to tell them and they said, yes, they'd had a call to that effect from shopP.
LBS also said that one of the conditions shopP stipulated before ordering my replacement frame was that the defective frame be chopped up to prevent re-sale and they showed me the bb shell hacksawed out of the old frame, a picture of which they'd had to send to shopP. I was pretty shocked that MY bike had been hacksawed in two without either shop asking me first..... but I didn't say so.

MY LBS is not a Focus dealer.
In letting LBS handle it, I'd hoped to save myself several 100 mile journeys.
My insights so far:-
a) always buy from your LBS.
b) don't assume that because the bike you've bought is a premium brand, it's going to be well-made or carefully assembled.

Opinions on what? You haven't asked us any questions!

Dirk

If 6 Was 9
Opinions on what? You haven't asked us any questions!
An opinion does not necessarily have to be an answer.;)

Assuming the original store or Focus is going to pay your LBS labour costs, I can't think of a better outcome from the situation. Everyone has behaved honourably (OK, maybe a little slowly) and you are getting what you are entitled to.

I was pretty shocked that MY bike had been hacksawed in two
Um, no. Once you accepted the warranty replacement that frame is no longer yours.

OP
OP
betty swollocks

betty swollocks

large member
I think its fair enough, they are providing a new frame so its only right that the other is destroyed in order to prevent someone selling it on and an unsuspecting person potentially getting injured. It would have been no good to you so why would you have wanted to be asked?
Because until I get a replacement, it still belongs to me, damaged or not.....or so I thought!

Last edited:
Top Bottom