Viking Boat Found

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Unkraut

Master of the Inane Comment
According to the BBC, a Viking boat appears to have been found under a pub car park in the Wirral. They are hoping to excavate it if funds can be found, but are not sure how it got there.
I would have thought the answer to that is obvious. The Vikings dragged the boat along to the car park, and then went into the pub for a pint or two of mead. When they came out, they simply forgot the boat. It can happen.
I am sure Arch will confirm this, seeing as how she knows a lot about archaeology, the Vikings, and drinking copious amounts of mead. :blush:

Tim Bennet.

Entirely Average Member
Or . . . . while they were in the pub for a pint or two, a bunch of scallys from across the Mersey nicked the stereo, the oars, the mast, the sail, shields, etc

The Vikings phoned the police who said they would be round 'directly'. But unfortunately the call coincided with shift changeover and before they had a chance to 'respond' the Vikings had died out, the Normans had invaded, time moved on and the boat simply got buried when they built the pub in 1867.

However the police are planning to go round and take some DNA samples so they can finally close this case and move up the league table for solving outstanding crimes against minorities.

Aint Skeered

It will not be long before the inhabitants of the Wirral, start laying flowers and messages of sympathy for those lost in the shipwreck;)

bonj2

I think it's probably a fake. I think Liverpool just wants a bit of fame. Vikings didn't come over from Ireland did they! They came over from Norway. Why would they have gone right round scotland and gone to the west coast?
Smells a bit fishy to me.

Aint Skeered

bonj said:
I think it's probably a fake. I think Liverpool just wants a bit of fame. Vikings didn't come over from Ireland did they! They came over from Norway. Why would they have gone right round scotland and gone to the west coast?

They could have been using one of the early Halfords Sat Nav's.

Tim Bennet.

Entirely Average Member
Vikings went to Ireland and Iceland and Greenland and France and Spain and Sicilly and on into the Black Sea. So a night out in the Wirral doesn't seem too implausible..

It's not as if there aren't any Viking (Norse) influences in the Northwest. Well, apart from the way the locals count, and names like Wasdale or Tilberthwaite and ...

Elmer Fudd

Miserable Old Bar Steward
Aint Skeered said:
It will not be long before the inhabitants of the Wirral, start laying flowers and messages of sympathy for those lost in the shipwreck;)

We also need a public enquiry into whether it was an accident or was it.......... a conspiracy

bonj said:

The Norwegian Vikings actually founded Dublin!
But why should bonj be interested in historical facts?
Of course, no one alive today saw them there, so it can't really be true, then, can it?

jonesy

Guru
when did you last try to do coast to coast dragging a huge boat?

Don't be silly Mr Paul. The vikings could have put it on a trailer in Hull and driven it over the Pennines on the M62.

Top Bottom