Viking, to buy or not to buy?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Foxstro

Regular
I'm looking to upgrade from an old mountain bike that I have been running on the road to a roadbike/fixie.

As this is something completely new to me, does this look reasonable and suitable for long (5-50 miles), flat terrain distances?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. :biggrin:

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
In all honesty for £148 it looks not bad and not a hell of alot different from some branded bikes. However I still reckon you get what you pay in the end. For what you plan probably be ok if you were going to be doing hills I`d look for something lighter and stiffer.

OP
OP
F

Foxstro

Regular
In all honesty for £148 it looks not bad and not a hell of alot different from some branded bikes. However I still reckon you get what you pay in the end. For what you plan probably be ok if you were going to be doing hills I`d look for something lighter and stiffer.

I've heard some people say things about cheaper fixies that the cogs on the back wheel will break and not work, I was wondering, what kind of price would I be looking at to replace this?

Jim55 (of the forum) has just bought the Viking Fixie, you could ask him what he feels about it. IMO (but not based on experience) they seem a tad heavy but good vfm. Angelfishsolo (formerly of this place) has a geared one and he has done 1000s of miles on it, IIRC he's had to replace the rear wheel but he has been very happy.

phil120867

Über Member
looks ok to me but the fun of fix'd is building your own, it may cost a bit more but you can spec out all the parts, starting with a decent stiff and lighter frame. IMHO. But for £148 you could run it into the ground and buy another in 6 months. choices eh?

Top Bottom