Vintage Colnago Classic

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Don't know how, or where, the bike shop got the £700 figure from. Too much work required and parts requiring replacement.

Might explain why your Raleigh feels smoother to ride as well.
I dunno, Colnago do have a reputation/fan base, I wouldn't pay £700 for it but some fool might (I'd much sooner have a 531 Raleigh)

midlife

Guru
No it doesn't have any of the clovers on it... Does anyone have an idea on what it's worth?

To work out what it is worth you really need to nail what the bike is. Sorting out "what Colnago is what" is a bit of a mare but if memory serves it should have fluted and panto'd seat caps and panto'd cutout lugs and top of fork crown plus only 2 top tube cable guides......... which doesn't seem to match your frame. Especially the complete lack of panto work and flat seat stay caps.

Colnago did do some lower end "Club" frames with less fancy work but I'm not really an expert. Someone like "Colnagolover" over on Retrobike might be more helpful

Shaun

classic33

Leg End Member
To work out what it is worth you really need to nail what the bike is. Sorting out "what Colnago is what" is a bit of a mare but if memory serves it should have fluted and panto'd seat caps and panto'd cutout lugs and top of fork crown plus only 2 top tube cable guides......... which doesn't seem to match your frame. Especially the complete lack of panto work and flat seat stay caps.

Colnago did do some lower end "Club" frames with less fancy work but I'm not really an expert. Someone like "Colnagolover" over on Retrobike might be more helpful

Shaun
I assume you mean something like this(From the 83 link)
11_9.jpg 29_2.jpg

classic33

Leg End Member
I agree, they are the 2nd version of 105 but if they were replacements for what was fitted originally (I.E. same level of kit)
Frame & Fork Colnago Super - Columbus SL
Front Derailleur Campagnolo Super Record
Rear Derailleur Campagnolo Super Record pat. 83
Headset Campagnolo Super Record
Crankset Campagnolo Super Record; 172.5mm
Bottom Bracket Campagnolo Record
Stem 3ttt 100mm pantographed
Stem Bar 3ttt 400m
Shifters Campagnolo Record
Brakes Campagnolo Record
Brake Levers Campagnolo Record pantographed
Hubs Campagnolo Record - 6 speed 13/23
Rims Ambrosio Montreal 700C Tubular
Tires New Vittoria Rally 622/23
Seat Post Campagnolo Record pantographed
Seat New Selle Italia Turbo
Chain NOS chain
Handlebar Tape Original Almarc Leather Cover
Pedals not included

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Frame & Fork Colnago Super - Columbus SL
Front Derailleur Campagnolo Super Record
Rear Derailleur Campagnolo Super Record pat. 83
Headset Campagnolo Super Record
Crankset Campagnolo Super Record; 172.5mm
Bottom Bracket Campagnolo Record
Stem 3ttt 100mm pantographed
Stem Bar 3ttt 400m
Shifters Campagnolo Record
Brakes Campagnolo Record
Brake Levers Campagnolo Record pantographed
Hubs Campagnolo Record - 6 speed 13/23
Rims Ambrosio Montreal 700C Tubular
Tires New Vittoria Rally 622/23
Seat Post Campagnolo Record pantographed
Seat New Selle Italia Turbo
Chain NOS chain
Handlebar Tape Original Almarc Leather Cover
Pedals not included
So what are you saying @classic33 , you think it's a wrong un.
I must admit that the 'over the BB' cable guides look a lot earlier than 83 and agree that an Italian bike would be far more likely to have all Campagnolo components.................but...............I fitted almost exactly the same transmission to my 67 Carlton Clubman in about 89 and they're still on it today (they were the best 'bang for buck' kit at the time) so maybe the owner had replaced a bunch of worn out bits.

So...basically the bike's worth whatever someone's willing to pay for it. And since it was free, that's all profit.
Or you could spend a couple of hundred more to replace the bits with older bits and not recoup the extra outlay.

I'm interested to know why the Raleigh rides better, what sort of Raleigh is it? Please don't say "orange" :rolleyes:
Edit: sorry, "yellow" (just reread OP)

Last edited:

classic33

Leg End Member
So...basically the bike's worth whatever someone's willing to pay for it. And since it was free, that's all profit.
Or you could spend a couple of hundred more to replace the bits with older bits and not recoup the extra outlay.

I'm interested to know why the Raleigh rides better, what sort of Raleigh is it? Please don't say "orange" :rolleyes:
This one has been sat. Grease will have dried out/thickened up. I'd say at least replace that and then make a comparison.

classic33

Leg End Member
The Shimano kit is 1986, 600 and 105. I would say the frame is older than 83 with the above BB chain guides and square fork crown.

The frame will be worth a few bob to a collector.
Two other years that particular frame was in production, 1971 & 1973. But then the frame doesn't match either year.
if Tony is prepared to back that valuation with money, take it.
So would I

Top Bottom