Vintage Colnago Classic

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

classic33

Leg End Member
looks like any old banger to me, a BSA maybe :smile:
I don't think anyone posts in this section with the intention of other than trying to help the person asking the questions. We'd all like to to find something rare, whatever we collect. Coming on an and calling it an "old banger" wasn't the most helpful of posts. The OP has already been hit once(it doesn't appear to be what he thought it was). In trying to help, for that is what nearly all who post do, there can be knocks taken. None are intentional, but its part of the process.

I know where there's a 60+ year old bike, that's only been ridden four times. Those in the first week of ownership. Owner lost his foot to a mower, farming accident, and it's been on a wall of his family's house & his house since. Two speed single-speed racing bike. I've a 30 year old one off. Built as a prototype.. How do I put a value on either. If I'm lucky, I may get the one off the wall, along with the receipt and everything else that came with it. That could be classed as an "old banger", but I'd not baulk at being given it. Cost was something like £13 17s 36d.

If I'm wrong about people posting trying to help, I'm sure they'll say so.

To bring this thread back to the nice place we all know cyclechat (vintage) to be.... @jwills regardless of what it is, it still has a value, either complete or -shudder- broken for parts. It may not be as quantifiable or as valuable as if it was a genuine colnago, but it would certainly be enough to get your yellow Raleigh (you still haven't told us what that is) up to scratch.
I'm sure there must be someone out there who would want to ride a copy, people buy fake rolex's and vuitton bags after all! Just don't sell it as the real deal is all, cos the new owner will probably find his way to here or retrobike and be a bit unhappy with you :gun::cry::laugh:

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Or alternately whip the bits off, use them to fix up the Raleigh (that 105 drivetrain is very good, I've got one) and flog the frame to someone in that there London (who'll probably end up fixieing it) just advertise it as a 'vintage steel frame' ideal for fixed conversion.
Personally I'd keep it after all it used to be your Grandads bike.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
looks like any old banger to me, a BSA maybe :smile:
Oi! Not so fast with the insults ....

image.jpeg

Gatters

I wasn't serious when I said BSA that's why I put a nice smiley in there, yeah sorry I said that I can see it wasn't welcome but I was just saying that to me (for what it's worth) that doesn't seem like the quality of colnago.

classic33

Leg End Member
Also posted on Retrobike "How much thread" ............ be curious as to what they think?

Shaun
So far the only poster has, answering, has questioned the lugwork. New sign on required, old one not recognised!
One posted there, showing the lug on the downtube.
IMG_3733.JPG

Last edited:
OP
OP
jwills

jwills

Thanks for all the help guys! Really impressed with how you've all come together to give me sound advice :smile:

To bring this thread back to the nice place we all know cyclechat (vintage) to be.... @jwills regardless of what it is, it still has a value, either complete or -shudder- broken for parts. It may not be as quantifiable or as valuable as if it was a genuine colnago, but it would certainly be enough to get your yellow Raleigh (you still haven't told us what that is) up to scratch.
I'm sure there must be someone out there who would want to ride a copy, people buy fake rolex's and vuitton bags after all! Just don't sell it as the real deal is all, cos the new owner will probably find his way to here or retrobike and be a bit unhappy with you :gun::cry::laugh:

I think the above will be the best option as I've ridden it and prefer my Raleigh.

Sorry I've not posted my Raleigh yet, I'll get it up asap. Not sure if the parts from the 'Dubious Colnago' will fit my Raleigh... And I'm just starting on the amateur bike mechanic journey. Best way to learn is to do I suppose. I'm going to ebay it as a vintage steel bike with shimano 105 parts and see what happens. I really just want to restore the bike I like and get on with it for summer. I've Posted in Retro bike but had no response, just tried again on the whats it worth page.

I'll post my Raleigh soon as I'm interested in finding out about it as well. Another one gifted to me but by an ex-stepfather this time! I think I've been quite lucky with these bikes!

classic33

Leg End Member
Thanks for all the help guys! Really impressed with how you've all come together to give me sound advice :smile:

I think the above will be the best option as I've ridden it and prefer my Raleigh.

Sorry I've not posted my Raleigh yet, I'll get it up asap. Not sure if the parts from the 'Dubious Colnago' will fit my Raleigh... And I'm just starting on the amateur bike mechanic journey. Best way to learn is to do I suppose. I'm going to ebay it as a vintage steel bike with shimano 105 parts and see what happens. I really just want to restore the bike I like and get on with it for summer. I've Posted in Retro bike but had no response, just tried again on the whats it worth page.

I'll post my Raleigh soon as I'm interested in finding out about it as well. Another one gifted to me but by an ex-stepfather this time! I think I've been quite lucky with these bikes!
Sorry the end result wasn't quite what you were hoping for. We all hope for that one find.

Next time....

Top Bottom