Vintage Falcon road bikes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mandobob

And here is an update with the refurbished head badge.

And here is an update with the refurbished head badge. View attachment 595578

Wow,
Great job!!
Looks awesome

Brummagem

New to this forum. I have picked up a 1963 San Remo, will hopefully be able to post some pictures soon. When did the old Falcon downtube decal end? My bike has the wrong decals.

Brummagem

Is yours like this one? Found this on the net.
View attachment 600397
Mine has been over painted. The previous owners says it was dark blue with Chrome forks (like the 1960 catalogue). Frame number is unclear. Last number maybe a 3. He bought it in 1963. Dark blue was the old racing colour. Not sure when they changed their racing colour to sky blue. Anybody know?

Attachments

• photos 009 (1152x1280).jpg
    photos 009 (1152x1280).jpg
    141.4 KB · Views: 17

Brummagem

Here is my bike. 5 speed. 1963.
1 former keeper.
26.4 seat tube.
I love to know the history of a bike....Derek the owner is a retired MOD scientist, who lives in Worcestershire. He bought the bike new when he was 16. It cost £30 (checking adverts at the time, he's correct!). The money was given to him by his grandmother. Turns out that he used to live in Kings Heath, Birmingham (where I live) and his family lived on Woodthorpe Rd, which is the road parallel to me, so it's come home!!! Interestingly, Falcons were made in various places, including Birmingham. He said the bike was bought from a shop in Balsall Common, and he thinks the shop owner was called Brown ( I need to find out the shop's details). Unfortunately I had to pay for the bike, which was advertised as frame only.
When I arrived, the Brooks saddle was still on it, and the seatpost was loose. Derek had found the original Weinmann quick release brake levers (costly in themselves) , and Weinmannn Vanquer 999 brakes. The stem was stiff, but now free
Derek had the bike resprayed in the seventies. He said it used to be dark blue, with chrome forks. Decals are not correct and there is no badge.
I figured I could make money by breaking the bike, but with nearly everything there, and the history, I think it will be a keeper.
Not seen a headset like it. Wheels and hubs are mismatched. My guess is the front has been changed - looks like it's a Weinmann alloy badged as a Milremo.
Dark blue was the old racing colour. When did it change?

Attachments

• IMG_20210723_3110.jpg
    IMG_20210723_3110.jpg
    176.9 KB · Views: 34

Brummagem

1960 photo with the dark blue coloured racing bikes

Attachments

• photos 004 (694x1280).jpg
    photos 004 (694x1280).jpg
    118 KB · Views: 20

Mandobob

1970 pro team photo. They were dark blue in 1963/4.

ALBERT HITCHEN ON THE COVER OF THE SPORTING CYCLIST MAY 1964

Magazine is dated May '64 but when the photo was taken is not recorded, it could have been earlier that year or more likely in '63.
1627061874181.png

The frame is probably in the darker blue finish and has chrome headlugs and fork crown, fitted with Campag Record headset (notice the small Campagnolo label sewn onto his jersey) and no braze-ons except for a 'stop' on the down tube to prevent the gear levers slipping down. Looking at the scratches on the headtube just behind the top lug it would appear that the chroming went some way along the top tube.

As Campag didn't have their brakes yet he is using Weinmann centre pulls with the quick-release style levers and the big cable adjusters.

Brummagem

View attachment 600612
1970 pro team photo. They were dark blue in 1963/4.

ALBERT HITCHEN ON THE COVER OF THE SPORTING CYCLIST MAY 1964

Magazine is dated May '64 but when the photo was taken is not recorded, it could have been earlier that year or more likely in '63.
View attachment 600613

The frame is probably in the darker blue finish and has chrome headlugs and fork crown, fitted with Campag Record headset (notice the small Campagnolo label sewn onto his jersey) and no braze-ons except for a 'stop' on the down tube to prevent the gear levers slipping down. Looking at the scratches on the headtube just behind the top lug it would appear that the chroming went some way along the top tube.

As Campag didn't have their brakes yet he is using Weinmann centre pulls with the quick-release style levers and the big cable adjusters. View attachment 600612
View attachment 600613
That is a great picture. I like the later sky blue racing colour, but really, my bike needs to go back to original - dark blue. I just need more pictures of the decals, especially on the seat tube. I have looked at the Weinmann Vanqueur 999 brakes and they say 63. Brakes are like the ones in the picture, and so are the forks. I might even copy that decal on the top tube!
I desperately need a head badge.

Attachments

• PHOTO_20210724_103055.jpg
    PHOTO_20210724_103055.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 9

Mandobob

Here is the 1964 team with Albert Hitchen on the left with what looks like that same jersey. Can't really see the frame colour but it seems darkish to me.

1627131081561.png

Brummagem

A Falcon for a bag of sand.
Searching for a headbadge for my 1963 Falcon, I saw this. You can't save them all... 531 frame of unknown vintage.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210727-220852.png
    Screenshot_20210727-220852.png
    124.2 KB · Views: 40

midlife

Guru
Long seat stay caps remind me of a Super Pro with replacement forks, the design and rake of the are not typical of a "racing bike"

Top Bottom