Vintage Falcon road bikes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mandobob

Shame to spoil a 531 frame. You could get money for that. There are plenty of non-Reynolds frames from their lesser models about. The same metal badge you need was used from 1958 to about 1978.

OP
OP
southcoast

southcoast

Über Member
That’s an unusual bike with that mix of seat stay cap and long stays. Looks long wheelbase if the forks are original.
Would be surprised if it has a metal head badge.

Last edited:
OP
OP
southcoast

southcoast

Über Member
The seat tube, which looks original, is just like the very late 70s very early 80s Super Tourist - hence the frame shape? It could easily have had drops fitted.

Good call on Super Tourist. That would also tie up with the wheelbase and 531 sticker.

Mandobob

So, I have (yet another) a new project!

Mandobob

Nice, I saw that for sale and was tempted myself. You got a bargain there.:smile:
I certainly did. I took the chance on it and facilitated a city break in Lincoln with my partner to pick it up!

The frame is a little ropey but I think I will just treat the rust patches and wax it, so its still original. It is cleaning up nicely and I have some Super Record brakes to go on it. The chrome isn't too bad and the crumpled cooking foil technique has brought it up beautifully. The wheels are not original but I will keep them as they are.

It has "brev Campagnolo" dropouts which date it to probably 1978/79. My dealer price lists show the last time it was included on a price list was November 1979, so it seems quite a late one.

OP
OP
southcoast

southcoast

Über Member
I certainly did. I took the chance on it and facilitated a city break in Lincoln with my partner to pick it up!

The frame is a little ropey but I think I will just treat the rust patches and wax it, so its still original. It is cleaning up nicely and I have some Super Record brakes to go on it. The chrome isn't too bad and the crumpled cooking foil technique has brought it up beautifully. The wheels are not original but I will keep them as they are.

It has "brev Campagnolo" dropouts which date it to probably 1978/79. My dealer price lists show the last time it was included on a price list was November 1979, so it seems quite a late one.

I would say you are probably about right for the date of the bike, as the seller did send me some detailed pictures when it was up for sale. You can probably get a date code off the Gran Sport chainset?
Interestingly the chrome seems to extend a long way along the top tube under the paint?
Good idea to keep it as original as possible.
I have publications that show the 76 for for sale in 80, 82 and 83. Also an early eighties brochure picture of one. How difficult they would have been to get is another matter lol

midlife

Guru
Chrome platers just dunked the front end in the solution, they were more picky mid 70's when the price of chrome went up and many makers like Holdsworth stopped.

Top Bottom