Vintage Falcon road bikes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mandobob

I would say you are probably about right for the date of the bike, as the seller did send me some detailed pictures when it was up for sale. You can probably get a date code off the Gran Sport chainset?
Interestingly the chrome seems to extend a long way along the top tube under the paint?
Good idea to keep it as original as possible.
I have publications that show the 76 for for sale in 80, 82 and 83. Also an early eighties brochure picture of one. How difficult they would have been to get is another matter lol
The chainset is dated 1981 (although it is a GS not an SR). I have Falcon dealers price lists dated 1 April 1980, 25 June 1980, 15 September 1980 and 5 January 1981. The first three have a San Remo section and none of the four have model 76 on offer. I also have what I think is a 1982 catalogue (the one with the Vigorelli in it) and also the 1983 Elswick Falcon catalogue and neither of them show the 76 either. The last dealers price lists I have with it in are the 1979 Coventry Eagle one and a 9 November 1979 Falcon one.

Can you offer any help? Maybe need to discuss offline?

OP
OP
southcoast

southcoast

Über Member
I’ll have a look for the information and get back to you.

Mandobob

Everything cleaned, polished and greased. Have treated it to new brake hoods, fitted appropriate brakes and rear derailleur. Almost ready for bar tape which I will do after more extensive road testing for comfort and fit.

Pretty pleased with the result - especially the state of the chrome.

midlife

Guru
Fab :smile:

Mandobob

This badge would only have been used between 1958 when Ernie Clements started the Falcon marque working for Roberts Cycle Industries (RCI) and early 1958 when the company, including the Falcon marque, was bought by Coventry Eagle.

It has the same 2 - 1/4" hole spacing as the later badges.

The 1959 catalogue shows a black and white design for a similar badge to mine but with CEC (Coventry Eagle Cycles) instead of RCI. I have not seen a real one like that.

By 1963 their catalogue shows a black and white design with the Ernie Clements signature at the bottom which was slightly altered to become the metal badge that adorned Falcon head tubes until about 1978. At that time Elswick Hopper bought Ernie Clements out and made him a Director of EH. After that date they used foil adhesive head badges - probably as a modernisation / economy measure.

Chris2021

This badge would only have been used between 1958 when Ernie Clements started the Falcon marque working for Roberts Cycle Industries (RCI) and early 1958 when the company, including the Falcon marque, was bought by Coventry Eagle.

It has the same 2 - 1/4" hole spacing as the later badges.

The 1959 catalogue shows a black and white design for a similar badge to mine but with CEC (Coventry Eagle Cycles) instead of RCI. I have not seen a real one like that.

By 1963 their catalogue shows a black and white design with the Ernie Clements signature at the bottom which was slightly altered to become the metal badge that adorned Falcon head tubes until about 1978. At that time Elswick Hopper bought Ernie Clements out and made him a Director of EH. After that date they used foil adhesive head badges - probably as a modernisation / economy measure.

Thank you Mandobob, very informative!
I have been on the lookout for a head badge that would match the 1-1/2 hole spacing on my old falcon, now I know it isn't an RCI or CEC style badge.

Top Bottom