Vintage Falcon road bikes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

midlife

Guru
As mentioned the forks are from a track bike and are not original to the frame unless Falcon played its usual trick of using whatever was lying around at the time lol

andyscherer

I suspect the latter. They came with the bike and match this description from a 1972 magazine review, down to the fender eyelets:
https://www.velo-pages.com/main.php?g2_itemId=13967
https://www.velo-pages.com/main.php?g2_itemId=13971

midlife

Guru
Is that an American publication. ? I don't ever recall a Falcon UK road frame with track forks. It was trendy at the time to have TT frames with round track forks. Not good with heavy front braking though. Thank goodness we never intended on braking and had the Weinmann 500's to prove it lol.

andyscherer

Is that an American publication. ? I don't ever recall a Falcon UK road frame with track forks. It was trendy at the time to have TT frames with round track forks. Not good with heavy front braking though. Thank goodness we never intended on braking and had the Weinmann 500's to prove it lol.
Yes, this is American... "Bicycling" magazine. "Send it to the States, they'll buy anything!"

Mandobob

Yes, this is American... "Bicycling" magazine. "Send it to the States, they'll buy anything!"
Falcon had a massive sales drive to the states in 1971 to 1973 and that article, which I have a copy of, was in the middle of that period. Looking at a later USA catalogue ( I don't have one for this period) the specs for USA bound bikes are a little different from the english spec. It was mainly their top and middle quality ranges that were offered in the US.

andyscherer

To check if it is a model 76 San Remo measure the seat pin. If it is 27.2 it will be a San Remo and if it is 26.6 then it will be a model 78 Olympic or a model 80 San Remo frame.

I still can’t locate my calipers so I measured the post as 27mm by using an adjustable spanner, and then there’s this. So that points to model 76, or at least 531 butted tubing.

Mandobob

That's a great sign. It definitely, in my opinion, makes it a San Remo. The seat pin being Campagnolo, as is the seat pin tightening bolt, shows it has a real high quality spec.

To further confirm its origin, the hubs look like Campagnolo and the lock nuts for the bearings should have a year date on them. Also, the brakes look like weinmann so on the back of the arms there will also be a date of manufacture. It's probably easier to dismantle the brake rather han the hub cones so I would do that first.

I seriously suggest you do check those dates because you mentioned it may have been resprayed. My theory is that it could be a an even rarer 1960s model 90 San Remo MkII, for which I have evidence that it was in production between 1963 and 1970 and which which did have the round tube wrapover seat cluster detail like yours. It was also sold with clincher wheels, which yours seems to have.

I would be interested to hear how you get on!

andyscherer

This is exciting news! I'm not familiar with the Mk II/III variants, what else can you share about them? Based on what I've read I also have a sense that the frame is older than 1970's. I have copies of older photos of this bike over the decades that I'll upload. It has different components in some of them so it's uncertain what's original to it right now. The owner also mentioned somewhere that it may have been silver originally.

I'm keeping it along with other bikes at our house in upstate New York, there's little room for it here in Manhattan. That said, once the winter sets in, I expect to bring it here to strip it down for cleaning and tuning so I'll be able to get a close look at date codes then. I feel like the hubs are probably original so that may be helpful when I get to them.

Cheers,
Andy

andyscherer

If these older photos shed any light on which model my Falcon may be...here they are.

This photo is dated 1976 and I believe it shows the original livery and components. Too bad the pump and drilled chainwheels didn't make it through the years.
Falcon 1976.jpg

Too fuzzy for much detail, also dated 1976 atop Mt. Washington in New Hampshire, USA. Same transfers, bigger rear cluster!
FSR Mt Washington 1976.jpg

Undated. Presumably after a respray with different transfers, sidepull brakes and different wheels. Looks like Nuovo Tipo hubs.
13630850395_4f99237e11_o.jpg

Closer look at the front end and fork.
13630848815_3e01e60c34_o.jpg

The seat cluster lug points show careful tapering in this 2016 photo taken when the current transfers were applied. They appear to be closer to the originals.
25640251341_5c79153e27_o.jpg

Astore

I'm keeping half an eye open for a Falcon Majorca. I had one brand-new when I was at College (1979 - 81) which replaced a new Peugeot Sport that was so badly built I rejected it under guarantee. The Majorca was a brilliant bike in comparison and after College it took me to my first 2 real jobs and was used for a lot of weekend touring. It did get a few upgrades along the way with gearing better suited to my hilly commute, Suntour BL GT derailleurs and a Sanyo Dynapower. I eventually traded it in for a Carlton Super Course.

How it looked when I got it...
hqmKpql.jpg

How it ended up...
IwODz6X.jpg

I currently have a "gas pipe" Falcon Eddy Merckx that was given to me recently. Not sure if it will see the road again as it's been subjected to some spectacular bodgery at some time which may make it an uneconomical proposition.

Last edited:

Mandobob

I'm keeping half an eye open for a Falcon Majorca. I had one brand-new when I was at College (1979 - 81) which replaced a new Peugeot Sport that was so badly built I rejected it under guarantee. The Majorca was a brilliant bike in comparison and after College it took me to my first 2 real jobs and was used for a lot of weekend touring. It did get a few upgrades along the way with gearing better suited to my hilly commute, Suntour BL GT derailleurs and a Sanyo Dynapower. I eventually traded it in for a Carlton Super Course.

How it looked when I got it...
View attachment 625001

How it ended up...
View attachment 625002

I currently have a "gas pipe" Falcon Eddy Merckx that was given to me recently. Not sure if it will see the road again as it's been subjected to some spectacular bodgery at some time which may make it an uneconomical proposition.
I wouldn't be too dismissive of the Falcon Eddy Merckx bikes as some of them were well built and reasonably specc'd. The
Model 102: SUPER COMPETITION Eddy Merckx and the Model 104: GIRO D'ITALIA Eddy Merckx were both built with Reynolds double butted 531 and the Model 106: KERMESSE Eddy Merckx Model 108/109: CLUB SPECIAL Eddy Merckx were both Reynolds 531 plain gauge.

I don't know what model you have but it could be worth doing up. Don't tar all of the Eddy Merckx models withthe same brush!

Top Bottom