Vintage Falcon road bikes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
If that's a William's crank then it will be date coded using this https://www.classiclightweights.co....-williams-crank-and-chainring-identification/

The rear derailleur was made from 1955-1973 and the Reynolds 531 transfer is 1952-1973. By 1974 most of the better Falcon models had cotterless cranks and these are cottered. So latest date is about 1973. The graphics for the Falcon name on the down tube and the omicron band on the seat tube are on 1970 literature (and later). I have a gap in my catalogues and adverts for this model between 1963 and 1970, during which time the graphics changed. So, overall it's probably about the turn of the decades 1960s/1970s.

If anyone can help with evidence of the date of change in font style, I would be really grateful to see it.

As all you Falcon appreciators know, the frame number is no help whatsoever!!

I can remember a Falcon Black Diamond in purple at school which had Omicron on the cross bar and seat tube , that would be about 1967. I can always remember that bike as it looked stunning in purple, black and chrome .

Mandobob

I would have thought that the colour scheme and graphics would place it in the 60's. :wacko:

So, after much cleaning and searching on the Williams chainwheel I eventually found their EBW and trademark sword. Underneath are the year letters ZH which makes it a model C1200 made in 1967 (the last year that model was made). So you were right. Bike possibly built 1967/8.

So, after much cleaning and searching on the Williams chainwheel I eventually found their EBW and trademark sword. Underneath are the year letters ZH which makes it a model C1200 made in 1967 (the last year that model was made). So you were right. Bike possibly built 1967/8.

I just thought it looked like 60's colour scheme . What are the seat stays like ? Are they pencil thin ?

So it could have been made just before their move to Lincolnshire ?

It is a bit of a puzzle . Should it have the long spear point lugs ?

andyscherer

I've stripped my mystery early 1970's(?) 531 frame for a respray, thought I'd share these pics of the bare frame and round section fork before it's covered up again.

Attachments

• Falcon frame.jpg
    Falcon frame.jpg
    420.4 KB · Views: 9
  • falcon stripped bb stays.jpg
    falcon stripped bb stays.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 6
  • falcon stripped bb.jpg
    falcon stripped bb.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 7
  • falcon stripped head.jpg
    falcon stripped head.jpg
    105 KB · Views: 10
  • falcon stripped seat cluster .jpg
    falcon stripped seat cluster .jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 10
  • falcon stripped seat rear.jpg
    falcon stripped seat rear.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 9
  • falcon stripped seat side.jpg
    falcon stripped seat side.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_5983.JPG
    IMG_5983.JPG
    142.2 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_5987.JPG
    IMG_5987.JPG
    108.6 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_5988.JPG
    IMG_5988.JPG
    74.5 KB · Views: 9

Not a C1200, which has a large BCD. Trouble is C34 which I think that is went out of production in the very early 60s. Perhaps a frame fitted with the buyer’s own parts? Nicklin cranks fitted with Williams chain wheel?

ren531

Über Member
Here's my Falcon, definitely not high end, but an 70s-80s cro-mo 10 speed "Streak" had the frame in my attic decades don't even remember were I got it only kept it because its a very useful to me 25inch frame and I decided to make a single speed /fixed wheel bike with it, couldn't believe how well it scrubbed up and it's also a very nice ride too.

Attachments

• IMG_20220929_173456.jpg
    IMG_20220929_173456.jpg
    266.2 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_20220929_173554.jpg
    IMG_20220929_173554.jpg
    259.8 KB · Views: 13

Mandobob

Here's my Falcon, definitely not high end, but an 70s-80s cro-mo 10 speed "Streak" had the frame in my attic decades don't even remember were I got it only kept it because its a very useful to me 25inch frame and I decided to make a single speed /fixed wheel bike with it, couldn't believe how well it scrubbed up and it's also a very nice ride too.

That's made a nice ride! I would date it to the end of the 1980s. They were usually made of Falcon 770 steel but if yours has a Cr-Mo label then it's unusual.

Top Bottom