Vintage Falcon road bikes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mandobob

Yes. But it is the early version without the recess for the mounting bolt .

So its definitely a Falcon Professional!

I masked out and sprayed a couple of panels on my frame today. I have placed one of the gold brake calipers on just for show. The original blue would have been much brighter.
There is another strange thing about this frame and that is the gap between the front fork dropouts . It is 9cm. This must have been how they were made . It is not through accident damage. The forks are true . I have tried using a car jack to see if they would move but they are too springy. They just return to their original setting . I will have to get some slimmed down cones and washers.

IMGP2235.JPG

Attachments

• IMGP2237.JPG
    IMGP2237.JPG
    102.6 KB · Views: 3
I have just bought an old pair of Viking forks. The description states that the gap between the dropouts is 96 mm , which don't seem too far off what my frame has . So to me it sounds as though you could get narrower hubs at some time in the past . :wacko:

Is there a way to determine hold old a Falcon is by the serial number. This is probably a 60’s bike

Their numbering system is difficult to unravel. Do you have any pictures of the whole frame as the style of transfers may be able to pin down the year and model .

If there is a transfer on the seat tube with an Eagle with made in Lincolnshire on it it would date it to post 67 . That is when the company moved there .

I just went back some pages to find my Black Diamond post to find that it's frame number begins with C which I think is post 67 as it has the Lincolnshire transfer. So it would seem that the A number pre dates that .

pdkamik

Is there a way to determine hold old a Falcon is by the serial number. This is probably a 60’s bike

Before and after picture. Cleaned it up for a friend whose father used to race it . campagnolo deraileurs.

Attachments

• 9CD26C1A-6393-4E14-9C4D-3BC00D09F1A6.png
    9CD26C1A-6393-4E14-9C4D-3BC00D09F1A6.png
    304.3 KB · Views: 12
  • 09DC41BF-1B2F-43E3-B831-4DF048BE5182.jpeg
    09DC41BF-1B2F-43E3-B831-4DF048BE5182.jpeg
    224.9 KB · Views: 12

Mandobob

I just went back some pages to find my Black Diamond post to find that it's frame number begins with C which I think is post 67 as it has the Lincolnshire transfer. So it would seem that the A number pre dates that .

My current theory is that where there is a prefix letter, the following dates apply. Any thought Illavago?

1667753207116.png

The H would fit in with the Club Special as it was an early model with the Cyclo Benelux rear hanger . The Black Diamond with the C prefix seems to be out as it was fitted with a Simplex Prestige rear derailleur which only went to 1972 . I will check Disraeli Gears . I will also look at some different makes of catalogues as I can remember seeing them fitted to other bikes .

Top Bottom