Vintage Falcon road bikes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Before and after picture. Cleaned it up for a friend whose father used to race it . campagnolo derailleur
Your bike also has a metal head badge which also seems to imply an earlier date . They switch to a tape style badge later on .

midlife

Guru
As you say the bike looks older . The Nervex lugs would seem to point to the 60's. Are there any date stamps on the back of the brake calipers ?

Nervex lugs used to pop up from time to time in all sorts of places. The 70's Carlton Clubman had Nervex lugs and also came in the then slightly out of fashion Eau de Nil colour :smile:

countyparkfan

New to the forum. User andyscherer linked me to this thread from another forum as I was trying to date a Falcon Professional I purchased this past year, thanks Andy!
I've enjoyed reading through this entire thread and seeing all the photos. After a discussion on another other forum, I'm pretty sure my Falcon Professional is a '79 or '80, but I'm always open to other opinions. The foil headbadge (as I learned reading this thread) dates it later than '78. The Campy date stamps on the bike are from '79.
Anyway, thought you'd appreciate photos of another Falcon. Doesn't appear to have many miles on it, so I'm guessing it's the original build or close to it. I don't have enough posts to attach photos here, but hopefully this Google album link is OK to share.
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/19eQefIo4TDvv1OXvD1u1dESAhU0GJ1J-

New to the forum. User andyscherer linked me to this thread from another forum as I was trying to date a Falcon Professional I purchased this past year, thanks Andy!
I've enjoyed reading through this entire thread and seeing all the photos. After a discussion on another other forum, I'm pretty sure my Falcon Professional is a '79 or '80, but I'm always open to other opinions. The foil headbadge (as I learned reading this thread) dates it later than '78. The Campy date stamps on the bike are from '79.
Anyway, thought you'd appreciate photos of another Falcon. Doesn't appear to have many miles on it, so I'm guessing it's the original build or close to it. I don't have enough posts to attach photos here, but hopefully this Google album link is OK to share.
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/19eQefIo4TDvv1OXvD1u1dESAhU0GJ1J-

Welcome to the forum .
We enjoy looking and talking about different bikes .

Mandobob

Hi Countyparkfan. That's a beautiful Falcon Professional you have. It hardly looks used at all. I have a Superpro which shares the same frame and the same 1979 marked Campagnolo rear derailleur and I came to the same 1979 or 1980 conclusion as you. The 1982 and 1983 Falcon catalogues show it with a drilled chainset, which can be a clue to a later model. It is not in the 1984 catalogue.
Enjoy your ride!

Mandobob

P.S. Could you share the frame number please which I can add to my database of Falcon frame numbers? The factory records no longer exist, so I am pulling together as much information as I can for the Vintage Cycle Club library.

Mandobob

P.P.S. a copy of the 1986 catalogue entry. Have just noticed it has the drilled chainset - so ignore my earlier remarks! Memory lapse!
Screenshot 2023-02-03 at 22.00.07.png

countyparkfan

Hi Mandobob, interesting that the Superpro and Pro shared the same frame. What set the 2 apart then, just the components?
The frame number on my Pro is 25150. Curious if that is close to yours given that they are likely from the same year.

I was just looking at the two bikes on the brochure more closely. It looks like the green one has a plain fork crown as opposed to sloping .
It also confirms that mine would have originally had Weinmann brake calipers, mine being gold anodised . :wacko:

Mandobob

Hi Mandobob, interesting that the Superpro and Pro shared the same frame. What set the 2 apart then, just the components?
The frame number on my Pro is 25150. Curious if that is close to yours given that they are likely from the same year.

Hi Countyparkfan

My SuperPro frame number is 25390 - only 240 frames apart from yours.

From a dealer's price list dated 25th June 1980 the Professional cost £199.95 and the Super Professional £250.00, some 25% more! (by 15th September of the same year they were £214.95 and £268.95 respectively - an interesting illustration on extreme inflation at the time).

It must have been the difference in components that differed the two models. Everything that can be on my SuperPro is Campagnolo (including brakes, pedals and seatpin) with Mavic rims and tubs, Regina close ratio freewheel and it has chrome forks.

I have had to put on a more forgiving freewheel and a 41 tooth chainring to be able to get up some of the hills in the nearby Mendip Hills!

I would be interested to hear what components Illavago has on his Professional. Clearly his gold anodised brakes were not standard equipment.

Hi Countyparkfan

My SuperPro frame number is 25390 - only 240 frames apart from yours.

From a dealer's price list dated 25th June 1980 the Professional cost £199.95 and the Super Professional £250.00, some 25% more! (by 15th September of the same year they were £214.95 and £268.95 respectively - an interesting illustration on extreme inflation at the time).

It must have been the difference in components that differed the two models. Everything that can be on my SuperPro is Campagnolo (including brakes, pedals and seatpin) with Mavic rims and tubs, Regina close ratio freewheel and it has chrome forks.

I have had to put on a more forgiving freewheel and a 41 tooth chainring to be able to get up some of the hills in the nearby Mendip Hills!

I would be interested to hear what components Illavago has on his Professional. Clearly his gold anodised brakes were not standard equipment.

Sorry but that was all that came with the frame that I bought off Biggys . I'll check it for a frame number .

Top Bottom