Vintage Falcon road bikes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mandobob

Hi, I'm brand new to the forums here, still in my probation period for posting pics or attachments.

I picked up an older Falcon road bike last year and have been using it as my main ride ever since. I hadn't heard of Falcon before and they don't seem to be terribly common, but here in this little corner of the internet at least, they seem to be rather well-loved. Seems like a great place to learn some things about it!

Here are some details I can describe and can eventually post pics as needed:
- Reynolds 531 frame, solid red color
- Shimano 105 rear derailleur
- downtube shifters
- side-pull brakes
- "BioPace" slightly oblong front sprockets. I recall looking down at the front-and-back movement thinking something was wrong until I looked them up...

Where should I look to find other identifying info such as serial number, etc.?

Hi Casual Oldtimer.
You have yourself a really nice Falcon there. It looks in very good condition indeed.

In terms of identifying it, there are several clues to help us. First the brakes. Shimano 105 SLR were announced late 1986 for the 1987 model year. They are one of the best road bike brakes you can get. SLR stands for Super Linear Response I think and should be very smooth and effortless to operate.

The Biopace chainset were introduced in 1983 and were fitted for about ten years. So we are looking at mid 1980s.

The interesting part is the "Made in England" addition to the down tube "Falcon" transfer with the union flag on top. This had been used for a number of years before the mid 80s but in 1986 Falcon published a USA catalogue with some different models and that is when they started to add the "Made in England" to their machines.

The head tube badge is the classic foil badge that started to be used when Ernie Clements left the company in 1982 and it continued in use until the mid 80s - I have not been able to pin down an exact date when it was superseded.

So in terms of year, I would say it is probably 1986 or possibly 1987.

The use of Reynolds 531 tubing - which is excellent - is interesting because by 1986 the British catalogue shows Falcon using Reynolds 531c, 501 or cr-mo for its best bikes. However, the 1986 USA catalogue shows the Triathlon 105 with 531 tubing and forks. It has Shimano 105 throughout including the biopace chainset.

It appears that as you are in the states, so I would say the Triathlon 105 is what you have.

Wow, thanks Mandobob for the sleuthing and background info! Thanks also to Illaveago who pointed me toward a very similar model on page 30 of this thread even before I could post any pics! Indeed I am in the states, makes sense why they added explicit labeling "of England" that I didn't notice in other pics in this thread.

Out of curiousity, how would you rank this compared to other Falcon models / styles from that time frame? It's fun to find out more about this accidental find of mine! My uneducated guess would be somewhere in the upper-lower to middle-middle realm, but would rather hear from someone with actual knowledge.

Mandobob

Wow, thanks Mandobob for the sleuthing and background info! Thanks also to Illaveago who pointed me toward a very similar model on page 30 of this thread even before I could post any pics! Indeed I am in the states, makes sense why they added explicit labeling "of England" that I didn't notice in other pics in this thread.

Out of curiousity, how would you rank this compared to other Falcon models / styles from that time frame? It's fun to find out more about this accidental find of mine! My uneducated guess would be somewhere in the upper-lower to middle-middle realm, but would rather hear from someone with actual knowledge.

I will send you a scan of the spec of the models in the catalogue when I can and you can make your own mind up!

It looks nice . It looks like it resembles a Falcon Triathlon 105 which was one from the Route 66 series . There is a picture and description from a brochure a few pages back on page 30 .
I finished my restoration of my Black Diamond a while back and forgot to share. Here’s how it turned out.
View attachment 708067

More pics at https://falconrestorebike.wordpress.com/

It is looking nice .

I would have put it at the upper end as it has Reynolds 531 tubing which a lot of people prefer.

Is that a straight red or is it a red pearl?

Mandobob

Here are a couple of scans from the catalogue. Enjoy!

Falcon USA 1986 catalogue Specs .jpg

Falcon USA 1986 catalogue Triathlon 105.jpg

Top Bottom