Vintage Falcon road bikes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

midlife

Guru
Yes, absolutely. They seem to have made many more blue ones than green ones. Difficult colour to match though. Its a pearl green.

Green was considered by many an unlucky colour BITD . My boss at the bike shop in the 70's only kept the bare minimum numbers of green bikes..... Raleigh Superbe, Carlton Corsa and maybe the odd kids bikes, but just the one.

We sold Falcons but can't recall any green ones lol

Also never put red and white stuff together (blood and bandages)

Green was considered by many an unlucky colour BITD . My boss at the bike shop in the 70's only kept the bare minimum numbers of green bikes..... Raleigh Superbe, Carlton Corsa and maybe the odd kids bikes, but just the one.

What was the famous Raleigh racing bike which always seemed to be in green ?

midlife

Guru
What was the famous Raleigh racing bike which always seemed to be in green ?

The green stuff in Hull and around the humber being unlucky was a sailing thing. Ships were never (ever) meant to be painted green and extended to cars, bikes, doors etc. Feathers were lucky though!

Mandobob

My first bike was green, a Raleigh Lenton. It was the last model before Raleigh realised that derailleur gears were the way forward. Four Sturmey Archer hub gears. It got me from Cornwall to Maidstone and back, way back when!

midlife

Guru
My first bike was green, a Raleigh Lenton. It was the last model before Raleigh realised that derailleur gears were the way forward. Four Sturmey Archer hub gears. It got me from Cornwall to Maidstone and back, way back when!

Yep, didn't bother Raleigh one bit lol, they even did a green Chopper at launch..... Don't remember a green grifter though, must check :smile:

Mandobob

Got any side pictures of your new bike ?

Here's a quick photo. Interesting components. It has the original SR Apex chainset which often "disappears". Campag seat pin. Pelissier hubs and one wheel seemingly rebuilt with Mavic MA2 rim and s/s spokes. Suntour Cyclone rear derailleur and changers but shimano front changer (?). Miche pedals (I don't like Miche pedals, they are a bit narrow for me). Took it out for a quick twenty miles and it all works well so the frame is my first priority.

IMG_2775.jpeg

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Here's a quick photo. Interesting components. It has the original SR Apex chainset which often "disappears". Campag seat pin. Pelissier hubs and one wheel seemingly rebuilt with Mavic MA2 rim and s/s spokes. Suntour Cyclone rear derailleur and changers but shimano front changer (?). Miche pedals (I don't like Miche pedals, they are a bit narrow for me). Took it out for a quick twenty miles and it all works well so the frame is my first priority.

View attachment 702971

Works fine for me.
Looks good

Top Bottom