Vintage Falcon road bikes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
The net must be running as slow as my brain .

midlife

Guru
Smart :smile:. MA2 some of my fave rims as they look quite like tubs :smile:.... Much better than the Elan / Module E.

Usual massive array of braze ons as usual for a Falcon :smile:

Astral

Here's a quick photo. Interesting components. It has the original SR Apex chainset which often "disappears". Campag seat pin. Pelissier hubs and one wheel seemingly rebuilt with Mavic MA2 rim and s/s spokes. Suntour Cyclone rear derailleur and changers but shimano front changer (?). Miche pedals (I don't like Miche pedals, they are a bit narrow for me). Took it out for a quick twenty miles and it all works well so the frame is my first priority.

View attachment 702971

That's a good size and it looks well even with the scabby paint. Love the colour - even though it has faded a little I guess? What are you going to do about the CroMo sticker? Look forward to seeing it sorted, but take plenty of pics of it in that state because you can't go back and it has character that will be lost..

Mandobob

That's a good size and it looks well even with the scabby paint. Love the colour - even though it has faded a little I guess? What are you going to do about the CroMo sticker? Look forward to seeing it sorted, but take plenty of pics of it in that state because you can't go back and it has character that will be lost..

Cr-Mo sticker being replicated. I managed to get it off the frame intact, thanks to an old school razor blade and immense patience!

satkin

I finished my restoration of my Black Diamond a while back and forgot to share. Here’s how it turned out.
IMG_6267.jpeg

More pics at https://falconrestorebike.wordpress.com/

Hi, I'm brand new to the forums here, still in my probation period for posting pics or attachments.

I picked up an older Falcon road bike last year and have been using it as my main ride ever since. I hadn't heard of Falcon before and they don't seem to be terribly common, but here in this little corner of the internet at least, they seem to be rather well-loved. Seems like a great place to learn some things about it!

Here are some details I can describe and can eventually post pics as needed:
- Reynolds 531 frame, solid red color
- Shimano 105 rear derailleur
- downtube shifters
- side-pull brakes
- "BioPace" slightly oblong front sprockets. I recall looking down at the front-and-back movement thinking something was wrong until I looked them up...

Where should I look to find other identifying info such as serial number, etc.?

Hi, I'm brand new to the forums here, still in my probation period for posting pics or attachments.

I picked up an older Falcon road bike last year and have been using it as my main ride ever since. I hadn't heard of Falcon before and they don't seem to be terribly common, but here in this little corner of the internet at least, they seem to be rather well-loved. Seems like a great place to learn some things about it!

Here are some details I can describe and can eventually post pics as needed:
- Reynolds 531 frame, solid red color
- Shimano 105 rear derailleur
- downtube shifters
- side-pull brakes
- "BioPace" slightly oblong front sprockets. I recall looking down at the front-and-back movement thinking something was wrong until I looked them up...

Where should I look to find other identifying info such as serial number, etc.?

Hi and :welcome:.
We are a friendly lot .
Mandobob is the authority on Falcons .
They have quite a long lineage and started back in the 50's by Ernie Clements an Olympic cyclist . Clements became the works manager for Coventry Eagle and convinced them to concentrate on lightweight sports cycles to his own design. Clements became the MD and Falcon became the main brand.
The frame number should be stamped into the bottom bracket .
There might be a date stamped into the back of the brake calipers .

Thanks!

Bottom bracket has a kinda stylized FC then the numbers 486

Calipers show:
BR-1050 Japan (or possibly BK-1050?)
Max 57 47 Min VIA
Shimano

There's no specific model name on the frame, only the label Falcon of England on the downtube
Is this enough for anyone to identify this one more specifically (year, model, comments, whatever)? I'll post some pics when I'm able.

The style of graphics , head badge and seat tube transfers can help . Block lettering spelling Falcon either side on the seat tube came in in the late 70's onwards . Made in Lincolnshire also came in in the late 70's. Designed by Ernie Clements was dropped after he left which I think was the late 70's.

Thanks!

Bottom bracket has a kinda stylized FC then the numbers 486

Calipers show:
BR-1050 Japan (or possibly BK-1050?)
Max 57 47 Min VIA
Shimano

There's no specific model name on the frame, only the label Falcon of England on the downtube
Is this enough for anyone to identify this one more specifically (year, model, comments, whatever)? I'll post some pics when I'm able.

It's not a Route 66 is it ? Page 30. There is a picture of one with a description of the components.

Top Bottom