Vintage Reynolds 531 frame

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

al-fresco

Growing older but not up...
Courtesy of Pubrunner I have a 1951/52 vintage 23" Sun (Super Vitesse we think) frame and forks in Reynolds 531 tubing. It's shabby and pitted and will definitely need shot blasting and painting. But it's beautifully light and would make a great project (but not for me because I'm only 5'7"). We'd like it to go to a good home. So it's free to anybody that can collect it from North West Shropshire.

gb155

Fan Boy No More.
I'd SOOOOOOOOOOO Love a project like this

Sadly you are too far, tho I'd be MORE than happy to pay postage if you were so inclined ?

Would you not consider posting it? Royal Mail Standard Parcels would be about £12, and a courier a little cheaper at about a tenner.

I'd be happy to send you £15 by PayPal gift, (no fees), if you'd be kind enough to do this.

Go on, you know you want to......................................................................PLEASE :whistle: :biggrin:

gb155

Fan Boy No More.
Would you not consider posting it? Royal Mail Standard Parcels would be about £12, and a courier a little cheaper at about a tenner.

I'd be happy to send you £15 by PayPal gift, (no fees), if you'd be kind enough to do this.

Go on, you know you want to......................................................................PLEASE

Oi - if the very very kind member will post, then I beat ya to it :smile:, op, I am of course happy to pay the costs plus a little extra for your time

Oi - if the very very kind member will post, then I beat ya to it :smile:, op, I am of course happy to pay the costs plus a little extra for your time
Sorry Gaz, I wasn't trying to muscle in, (well maybe a little :whistle: ). Of course if the exceptionally kind OP would be so amazingly accommodating as to post the amazing sounding frame, then you Sir do of course have first dibs :tongue:

However, if you then decide it's too much like hard work, (it's not like buying a shiny new CCF you know :whistle:), then may I suggest you PM me before doing anything else.

OP
OP
al-fresco

al-fresco

OK - no fighting! I do pop up to Manchester occasionally (sometimes I even cycle there but not carrying a spare frame!) so I'll look into postage or see if we can arrange to meet somewhere - how do you go about packaging something like a frame?

how do you go about packaging something like a frame?
Just ask your LBS for a frame box, simples :biggrin: I've never met one yet that won't give you one, (unless they haven't got one!).

Alternatively any old box will do, supermarkets usually have some big one, bit of old bubble wrap around the dropouts and Robert's your Dad's Brother :biggrin:

Just try to 'chock' between the rear dropouts in case it gets squashed, a piece of wood works just fine :thumbsup:

OP
OP
al-fresco

al-fresco

OK I'll see if I can blag a box. Gaz has first dibs as long as he undertakes to find a suitable home for it if he decides not to go ahead with the project.

gb155

Fan Boy No More.
OK I'll see if I can blag a box. Gaz has first dibs as long as he undertakes to find a suitable home for it if he decides not to go ahead with the project.

MANY THANKS

The project WILL go ahead mate, I have a box full of "Off casts" just waiting for a frame :0)

gb155

Fan Boy No More.
Sorry Gaz, I wasn't trying to muscle in, (well maybe a little :whistle: ). Of course if the exceptionally kind OP would be so amazingly accommodating as to post the amazing sounding frame, then you Sir do of course have first dibs :tongue:

However, if you then decide it's too much like hard work, (it's not like buying a shiny new CCF you know :whistle:), then may I suggest you PM me before doing anything else.

Of course mate, you have yourself a deal !

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Just try to 'chock' between the rear dropouts in case it gets squashed, a piece of wood works just fine :thumbsup:
Do the fork dropouts too. Go to your LBS and ask for a cardboard bike box and a pair of the plastic spacer 'chocks' that are fitted to protect new bikes when they are delivered. Whenever I've asked, my LBS has been happy to oblige - less stuff for them to dispose of!

MANY THANKS

The project WILL go ahead mate, I have a box full of "Off casts" just waiting for a frame :0)

Don't forget, that age of frame will have different spacing for the dropouts at the rear and need a quill stem or a quill Ahead adaptor. I had a 1950's Rotrax frame, 531, lovely ride. Look up cold setting dropouts if you don't already know all about it.

gb155

Fan Boy No More.
Don't forget, that age of frame will have different spacing for the dropouts at the rear and need a quill stem or a quill Ahead adaptor. I had a 1950's Rotrax frame, 531, lovely ride. Look up cold setting dropouts if you don't already know all about it.

Thanks for that, I'm uber excited about this next project :smile:

Top Bottom