Vintage Reynolds 531 frame

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gb155

Fan Boy No More.
Here you go Gaz, (you lucky frigger :tongue:) AASHTA, this tells you about spacing. I've just had to re-space my Peugeot winter build. It's dead simple to do tbh, just one of those softly, softly type of jobs.

Its ironic I was reading that the other day, must have been the gods telling me something :biggrin:

Baggy

Cake connoisseur
If it's got 120mm spacing you might want to think about getting the framebuilder to re-set the stays when it's re-painted, rather than do it yourself.

pubrunner

Legendary Member
I'd SOOOOOOOOOOO Love a project like this

As a previous owner of this frame, it would be great to see a pic or two of the finished article.

If it's really nice, you might be able to sell it back to me - at a vastly inflated price ! :biggrin:

I hope that you do something with it . . . . . . . I've too many other bikes/frames - I won 'brownie points' by taking it to Al-Fresco's. I'm well-pleased that it is going on to a good home . . . . . . . it is a good lightweight steel frame.

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
If it's got 120mm spacing you might want to think about getting the framebuilder to re-set the stays when it's re-painted, rather than do it yourself.

I used the Sheldon method on one of my frames, it works fine if you're careful.
I had to use 47 x 97mm though as you can't get 2 x 4" any more! :smile:

gallery_3629_9_35140.jpg

PpPete

Legendary Member
I used the Sheldon method on one of my frames, it works fine if you're careful.
I had to use 47 x 97mm though as you can't get 2 x 4" any more! :smile:

Disgraceful !

I have to say that it's very easy to overdo it with Sheldon's method.

I now have a length of M10 threaded rod, nuts, and some monster washers*. Just wind it out slowly, and keep measuring. You can also use a piece of string around the head tube and tied to the rear drop-outs to check that it's moving symmetrically. (Revert to Sheldon's method if one stay isn't moving)

The springiness of 531 is such that you often have to go to beyond 140mm so that the spring-back takes it to 130 mm

* same can be used as a headset press.

pubrunner

Legendary Member
Disgraceful !

I have to say that it's very easy to overdo it with Sheldon's method.

I now have a length of M10 threaded rod, nuts, and some monster washers*. Just wind it out slowly, and keep measuring. You can also use a piece of string around the head tube and tied to the rear drop-outs to check that it's moving symmetrically. (Revert to Sheldon's method if one stay isn't moving)

The springiness of 531 is such that you often have to go to beyond 140mm so that the spring-back takes it to 130 mm

* same can be used as a headset press.

That reminds me; the frame takes a headclip headset. The headset is potentially a hiccup, but be patient, either a full set will turn up or I believe you can use the cupped bearings ( again if you can get them ) with normal spacers and headset lock nuts. This was fairly common on frames of that period - the frame is Sun Super Vitesse.

It is a plain 531 frame with Sun's own cutaway lugs and 70 degree seat angle, 71 degree head angle. The 'S' in the serial number indicates 1951/2. A bit older than you, Gaz.

gb155

Fan Boy No More.
That reminds me; the frame takes a headclip headset. The headset is potentially a hiccup, but be patient, either a full set will turn up or I believe you can use the cupped bearings ( again if you can get them ) with normal spacers and headset lock nuts. This was fairly common on frames of that period - the frame is Sun Super Vitesse.

It is a plain 531 frame with Sun's own cutaway lugs and 70 degree seat angle, 71 degree head angle. The 'S' in the serial number indicates 1951/2. A bit older than you, Gaz.

It's almost double my age :smile:

Can't wait to get it yo recapture it's former glory - it's not gonna be a quick project ala the carbon build but it's gonna be awesome and I'll post piccys ( yes Gaz, big piccys :smile:)

stephec

Legendary Member
Whereabouts in Shropshire are you?

I'm working in Telford on Thursday so could possibly pick it up.

Gaz, remember me, Altura race cape? I could drop it of at your office sometime.

+1 for PpPete's threaded rod method, gives total control in how far you go. Don't forget to go a bit past to allow for spring back, maybe 5mm.

I used this method to re-space the Peugeot frame I've just built into my winter bike. Take your time and keep measuring and you can't 7uck it up really, especially with a steel frame, I had to be more careful as I my frame is alu, so I made sure to clamp the bridges and take it slow :thumbsup:

pubrunner

Legendary Member
Whereabouts in Shropshire are you?

I'm working in Telford on Thursday so could possibly pick it up.

Al-Fresco (who currently has the frame) lives in North Shropshire; inbetween Chirk & Oswestry. He lives only about 1.5 miles off the A5.

I'll pm him to ensure that he reads this thread in full.

Top Bottom