Vintage Reynolds 531 frame

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gb155

Fan Boy No More.
It wouldn't be my choice - too many hills around here . . . . . . . why limit yourself ?

Mind you, it'd make it easier to get the frame back on the road - which is the most important thing imo.

I'll be honest that was my first thought - getting it back up and running after stripping and spraying it - plus I do enjoy my current SS quite a lot and suspect this would actually ride much better !

Manny

Due to suddenly being reminded of my first ever two wheeled cycle I came across this thread. It was the Sun Super Vitesse which was originally made in a very dark blue with fully chromed forks and I don't think you have one as it was not built with 531 tubing. If my memory is good enough I got mine in 1948. The only Sun cycles at that time built with 531 (I think) were the variations of the Sun Wasps.

pubrunner

Legendary Member
Due to suddenly being reminded of my first ever two wheeled cycle I came across this thread. It was the Sun Super Vitesse which was originally made in a very dark blue with fully chromed forks and I don't think you have one as it was not built with 531 tubing. If my memory is good enough I got mine in 1948. The only Sun cycles at that time built with 531 (I think) were the variations of the Sun Wasps.

Hi Manny,

The Sun Super Vitesse is a plain gauge 531 frame with Sun's own cutaway lugs and 70 degree seat angle & 71 degree head angle. In the Sun Catalogue, it sat under the Manx TT, Wasp, and Manxman.

The serial number on this frame 'S' indicates 1951/2, and within a 1951 Sun Catalogue is the Super Vitesse.

In 1951, a Sun Wasp was made from Reynolds DB 531 tubing and would have cost £30 & 2 shillings; by comparison, the Super Vitesse cost £20 & 11 shillings.

In 1951, the racing style bikes that Sun produced were : Sun Manx TT, Sun Wasp Massed Start, Sun Wasp, Sun Manxman, Sun Super Vitesse, Sun Mist, Sun Club.

Did you race or time trial on your bike ?

Top Bottom