Virtual Cycle Touring Festival

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

IaninSheffield

Veteran
With the live 2020 event inevitably cancelled, the CTF has gone online ... and what's more is it's free! (Charitable donations would be most welcome though). Most 'live' sessions in the form of webinars are this weekend - 25th/26th April, though some are pre-recorded and could therefore be available longer?

If you are joining in, it might be interesting to hear feedback about any sessions you attended - good advice, tips, interesting tours to undertake when circumstances once more allow.

[Edited to put in the correct month. Doh!]

Last edited:

Boopop

Guru
Was just about to post about this, good job @IaninSheffield . This rafting Greenland talk is amazing! 😍

OP
OP
IaninSheffield

IaninSheffield

Veteran
The Cycle Touring Festival is going virtual again this year. They have released the programme today which can be found here:
https://cycletouringfestival.co.uk/whatson/

There is lots going on with a number of live events via Zoom.
Excellent news!
If considering 'attending', which sessions have caught CCers eyes?
I'm drawn towards 'Meet the author: Jack Thurston', 'The Big Record: Capturing the sound of the UK on two wheels', and 'The ethics of cycling on two wheels'

@Cathryn might be interested in the 'King Alfred's Way' session? And contributors to the 'Steel Touring Bike' subforum might find something of interest in 'How to adapt any bike for cycle touring'.

LeetleGreyCells

Un rouleur infatigable
Excellent news!
If considering 'attending', which sessions have caught CCers eyes?
I'm drawn towards 'Meet the author: Jack Thurston', 'The Big Record: Capturing the sound of the UK on two wheels', and 'The ethics of cycling on two wheels'

@Cathryn might be interested in the 'King Alfred's Way' session? And contributors to the 'Steel Touring Bike' subforum might find something of interest in 'How to adapt any bike for cycle touring'.
‘Touring in a time of Covid’ will be interesting I thought as well as the Meet The Author sessions. ’Touring with children’ is also appropriate for myself. Lots of videos available too which I shall be checking out.

mercalia

so the live "view in my time " events use Zoom? Any one want to explain how you do it? DO you just click the event in the webpage and it opens zoom? I have never used zoom before so a few details would help. On a windows desk top pc does it use a browser or is there a program to download?

Last edited:

LeetleGreyCells

Un rouleur infatigable
so the live "view in my time " events use Zoom? Any one want to explain how you do it? DO you just click the event in the webpage and it opens zoom? I have never used zoom before so a few details would help. On a windows desk top pc does it use a browser or is there a program to download?
'View in my time' in this case is a function of the website for users in different time zones to find out when they can access the content in their local time zone.

Last year, events that you could watch whenever you wanted were hosted on YouTube where the link was provided closer to the time via the programme on the website (last year was a PDF, this year it looks like they'll simply update the webpage). They haven't said if this is what they are doing this year, but my guess they will use YouTube or similar service like Vimeo. They could host the videos on their own website, but I find this very doubtful. No matter what, they'll will provide a link to the content.

For the events which are 'live' you'll need Zoom. Download and install Zoom on your PC from here - this standalone app works more efficiently than the in-browser version. You'll be prompted to create a free account (no payment or payment details required as you'll be on the free option). Once you register for the event on the Cycle Touring Website - find the event you want and click register; it'll take you to a Zoom page where you enter your name and the email address you used to create your account on Zoom. On the Thank You For Registering page, they will give you a link which you will need to save with which you can access the event - a few minutes before the event starts, click the link and Zoom should open in the event.

SUN14FEB CYCLING SOLO VS CYCLING AS A COUPLE - VALENTINE'S DAY DEBATE
:laugh:

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Looks good from the above but shame it's zoom, which is unpredictably unstable for me and runs the cpu fan noisily. If they'd used something easier like jitsi, I might have "gone".

The listing on the website is almost blank. Just says "Event Tag"

mercalia

Looks good from the above but shame it's zoom, which is unpredictably unstable for me and runs the cpu fan noisily. If they'd used something easier like jitsi, I might have "gone".

The listing on the website is almost blank. Just says "Event Tag"

oh do you need a powerful modern pc? I still use an old quad core but with a decent video card in it

oh do you need a powerful modern pc? I still use an old quad core but with a decent video card in it
I don't believe you need much horsepower for Zoom. It works on our cheapie laptop at home, and my basic smartphone.
I suspect there is some sort of conflict on mjr's machine? (don't ask me any techie questions!)

Sounds like you can watch any event on "catchup" without using Zoom, as a fallback.

Top Bottom