Virtual touring

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cathryn

Legendary Member
I'm hankering for a bit of touring so this week, I created my own virtual tour. (This is either genius or tragic, but I'm very happy about it).

My tour is from Calais to Annecy. That's the ride I'm dreaming about doing in the summer. Heaven only knows if I'll make it happen.

I got the route from cycle.travel and have plotted it on mapmyride. Now, every time I ride my bike, I add those miles to my spreadsheet, see how far I've got, and have a look on google maps to see what it looks like where I ended my ride.

I'm currently just outside Calais, in a tiny place called Pont d'Ardres. I can almost smell the croissants.

I know it's a bit silly, but it's bringing me a lot of joy right now. Anyone else 'virtual touring' from lockdown?

A similar topic from a while ago....
https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/an-interesting-idea-for-those-missing-touring.265831/

Personally, I think it's a brilliant idea, no end to the possibilities except imagination.

Totally missed that - sorry to bring it up again :smile:
Jeez! If we could only talk about new things this place would be full of tumbleweed^_^

But, to make you feel suitably abashed here's a pic from my not so virtual ride yesterday ^_^

Solocle

Über Member
I started trying this, and I'm currently failing. Miserably.

Here's the epic route I plotted (advantage of the trainer: you can ride on water).
1611336180177.png

Here's how much I've done.
1611336162851.png

It's just a question of motivation really - the Kickr will simulate the gradients and everything, but I don't get the views and the outdoors.

I started trying this, and I'm currently failing. Miserably.

Here's the epic route I plotted (advantage of the trainer: you can ride on water).
View attachment 570158
Here's how much I've done.
View attachment 570157
It's just a question of motivation really - the Kickr will simulate the gradients and everything, but I don't get the views and the outdoors.
When you get to the U.S. put something on one side of you very, very close that randomly makes lots of noise and belches smoke at you, on the other side a recording of ravenous wild dogs - then it'll be realistic!^_^

Solocle

Über Member
When you get to the U.S. put something on one side of you very, very close that randomly makes lots of noise and belches smoke at you, on the other side a recording of ravenous wild dogs - then it'll be realistic!^_^
Given that I'm initially hitting Canada I was thinking bears and wolves... the cat will have to do.

snorri

Legendary Member
- the Kickr will simulate the gradients and everything, but I don't get the views and the outdoors.
I think it's better not to get the views.
It would spoil it if you did the actual tour and repeatedly got that "I've been here before" feeling for a few seconds before remembering that you'd been sitting at home on your laptop the last time you'd seen that particular view.:smile:

Given that I'm initially hitting Canada I was thinking bears and wolves... the cat will have to do.
I may be wrong, but I think the bears are more central and western Canada, but..... The Nova Scotia accent descends (closely) from Irish, so stick on a few episodes of Father Ted!^_^

For inspiration...... the Atlantic, somewhere south of Greenland (I don't recommend cycling there!)

cwskas

Über Member

:laugh:
Only parts are like that! But I do dread the noisy roads and so far I have not experienced any 'wild dogs' but have had a few nip at me unsuccesfully. But I do have the luxury of riding almost all the time on rural roads.

Willie

:laugh:
Only parts are like that! But I do dread the noisy roads and so far I have not experienced any 'wild dogs' but have had a few nip at me unsuccesfully. But I do have the luxury of riding almost all the time on rural roads.

Willie
Very true, Willie! You're in Texas where high speed limits and lots of fences mean fewer dogs. Oh! And there's all those guns!^_^

In the cold light of morning I realise (my tongue in cheek) post may be seen as negative. Apologies, these things do happen, but the overall US experience washes the negatives away.
There is a scale to the place that is very, very different. In landscape and in the people. Don't believe everything you see on the TV!

Too busy? There's (nearly) always a backroad!

Eziemnaik

Über Member
Not really a touring, but putting on touring vids makes the misery of turbo trainer more bearable - just crank up the heating and imagine you are in the tropic forest:laugh:

Top Bottom