Visa, to Canada?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Arch

Married to Night Train
I know this is the sort of thing I could look up, but it's so much more fun to ask on here....

My Mum's likely to be going to Canada to visit, in the next month or two. Does she need a visa? I'm sure her travel agent will mention it iif so, but I though it might be worth giving her a heads up...

She's had to pysche herself up to all this. My aunt (who lives over there) was diagnosed with Alzheimers some months back, and her husband suggested a visit - partly because my aunt can still talk about long ago stuff, and perhaps partly before it becomes 'too late'. Mum has never flown long haul, has only flown once in the last 40 years I reckon, and it's all a pretty big and slightly intimidating adventure - not to mention the emotional baggage (some classic minor family rift stuff, and my uncle being a bit of an arse). I have to say I'm impressed. I'd be pretty phased by the thought of it all.

She's had to renew her passport for a start. She said "well, I thought when it expired, I wouldn't need it again, but now I'm thinking if I have to renew for this, one day I'd like to just go to Paris on the Eurostar again...". I reckon that's her 75th birthday sorted....

ComedyPilot

Secret Lemonade Drinker
UK Visitors to Canada

International visitors to Canada (not U.S. citizens or U.S. permanent residents) must carry a valid passport and, if required, a visa. Citizens from the United Kingdom, France, Germany, Mexico, Japan, the Republic of Korea, Australia and others do not require a visa to enter Canada. Visit the Citizenship and Immigration Canada website for a complete listing of countries whose citizens require visas to enter Canada.

Eh voila ;)

dan_bo

How much does it cost to Oldham?
Shouldn't be a problem as long as she doesn't take a tool box,IME. The company I used to work for would send us over there at short notice on a tourist visa, i.e. no real messing about to do, ostensibly. Except when you turn up with your tools and a load of samples, they have a tendency to invite you into one of the interview room to explain why your aunt Masie would need a half million pound mass spectrometer fitting in her parlour.

OP
OP
Arch

Arch

Married to Night Train
dan_bo said:
Shouldn't be a problem as long as she doesn't take a tool box,IME. The company I used to work for would send us over there at short notice on a tourist visa, i.e. no real messing about to do, ostensibly. Except when you turn up with your tools and a load of samples, they have a tendency to invite you into one of the interview room to explain why your aunt Masie would need a half million pound mass spectrometer fitting in her parlour.

To analyse her cakes perhaps? BTW, have you recieved your packet in the post yet?

Cheers CP. One less thing to fret about then.

barq

Arch said:
Does she need a visa? I'm sure her travel agent will mention it iif so

Looks like you got your answer, but never assume travel agents will tell you everything. Years ago Thomas Cook accidentally told my Dad he didn't need a visa to go to the USA. An honest mistake but he spent three days locked away with an armed guard because of it! ;) To be fair to the agent they were mortified and compensated him, but it is worth double checking because these things matter.

OP
OP
Arch

Arch

Married to Night Train
dan_bo said:
It got delivered thursday aparrently- I haven't been in to get me hands on it yet ;)

oh, cool. I hope it's ok....

Cheers Barq. I'm sure my Mum will have a long list of questions anyway, she's pretty organised.

What a way to start long haul travel though. Not just Canada, but the other side of Canada! Still, she can get a flight straight through, apparently.

OP
OP
Arch

Arch

Married to Night Train
Speicher said:
I am not trying to complicate things, honestly. ;)

But - if you go to Canada, then visit USA (with a Visa etc), do you then need a Visa to get back in Canada again from the USA?

I'll just tell her not to accidentally visit the US.....

I have no idea...

Hang on, no. Your visa depends on your nationality, not where you've just been. (although I realise in some places, having a visa for one place can rule you out of visiting another).

Speicher

Vice Admiral
About ten years ago, I flew to Toronto, and travelled the rest of the way across Canada by train. After a very short stop in Vancouver, I went by train to Los Angeles to stay for six days, then flew back to Vancouver.
Getting through passport control back into Canada was a nightmare.

I would like to visit Canada again, and perhaps also Boston, USA.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I Can't see how that would happen, as you are/were* always given a visa waiver form on a flight to the US and if you didn't get one there and arrive at the immigration without one they just give you a form to fill in and you have to re-queue.

*now you can buy a 2 yearly ESTA form on line so you don't need to fill in the Visa Waiver, cost $8.00

barq said:
Looks like you got your answer, but never assume travel agents will tell you everything. Years ago Thomas Cook accidentally told my Dad he didn't need a visa to go to the USA. An honest mistake but he spent three days locked away with an armed guard because of it! ;) To be fair to the agent they were mortified and compensated him, but it is worth double checking because these things matter.

Yellow Fang

Legendary Member
I was sent to a TV station in Canada to fix some software. I didn't need to apply in advance for a visa, but I was pulled in by an immigration official. She gave me a bit of a grilling. She asked me what was wrong with the software. I don't know; that's what I'm here to find out. Would you really like me to explain the part of the software I think the problem is likely to be in? I only thought that; I didn't say it out loud. She told me to bring a support contract or some other proof of sale the next time.

gavintc

Guru
Having a Canadian wife, we travel reasonably frequently. Some of the budget flight options will route you through the US. If you are simply flying into Canada - not a problem, but there are some very good deals to be had by bouncing through the States.

OP
OP
Arch

Arch

Married to Night Train
gavintc said:
Having a Canadian wife, we travel reasonably frequently. Some of the budget flight options will route you through the US. If you are simply flying into Canada - not a problem, but there are some very good deals to be had by bouncing through the States.

I think she's not so bothered about deals - the direct flight will be costing about what she expected, and a lack of hassle or changing is what she wants.

Top Bottom