Visit to Addison Lee

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

her_welshness

Hi Chaps

I had an incident with an Addison Lee driver a while ago now and after a request from myself to visit their Driving Training School I have an appointment with them tomorrow. They are going to show me around Addison Lee and then I get an opportunity to sit in on their driver training.

Do you guys have any feedback that I can pass on to them?

Diolch yn fawr
thumbsup.gif

rb58

Enigma
Hello. For what it's worth, I find Addison Lee cabs consistently the worst drivers in London. I keep a close eye on them in the same way as I do red buses. They seem to have a blind spot for cyclists.

And I still shiver when I recall the Addison Lee coach that passed me at a pinch point in Selsdon earlier this year with just a few centimetres to spare. It's the only time I've ever chased down a vehicle and berated a driver - in front of all his passengers too. All he could say was "there was loads of room"!

Be interesting to hear your report of how sympathetci to cyclists their training is.

Enjoy!

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
I was shocked into near speechlessness a couple of times recently when I experienced some good driving from two Addison Lee drivers. Most of the time I treat them like homicidal maniacs, giving a wide berth and getting out of the way, and justifiably, in my experience.

Bicycle

I applaud you for seeking the meeting and I applaud them for playing ball.

This is the sort of action that can produce the benefits that just another complaint or prosecution often cannot.

You sound as if you know what you're doing, so I will just say something you doubtless already know:

Constructive criticism is most effectively given to a receptive audience. If you thread any slightly negative constructive observations you may have into generally positive language, they are more likely to be taken on board.

Once again, well done for looking for a dialogue that will provide a potentially positive platform for improvement.

Too often, when cyclists have an issue with an employer it just sounds like a slightly self-indulgent moan to impress their pals.

:biggrin: The smile is genuine; A billion snotty letters, self-aggrandising posts on a web forum and moans to the Police do not have the potential for improvement that your action does.

I wish you well in your endeavour.

martint235

Dog on a bike
Hello. For what it's worth, I find Addison Lee cabs consistently the worst drivers in London. I keep a close eye on them in the same way as I do red buses. They seem to have a blind spot for cyclists.

And I still shiver when I recall the Addison Lee coach that passed me at a pinch point in Selsdon earlier this year with just a few centimetres to spare. It's the only time I've ever chased down a vehicle and berated a driver - in front of all his passengers too. All he could say was "there was loads of room"!

Be interesting to hear your report of how sympathetci to cyclists their training is.

Enjoy!

+1.

I don't have that many problems with them anymore but it is only because I now give them so much room and expect them to do something unbelievably stupid. They rarely disappoint on that count.

Something just clicked as I received an email from Greenwich Cyclists that now ties two separate names together! :thumbsup:

LazyCat

Addison Lee taxis are a bit like potholes. If you don't see them in time and take evasive action you will come of second best. They are the most consistently bad drivers in London. I say that as a motorist, cyclist, skater and pedestrian.

The only thing worse than an Addison Lee taxi is an Addison Lee delivery driver on a motorcycle.

OP
OP
H

her_welshness

I applaud you for seeking the meeting and I applaud them for playing ball.

This is the sort of action that can produce the benefits that just another complaint or prosecution often cannot.

You sound as if you know what you're doing, so I will just say something you doubtless already know:

Constructive criticism is most effectively given to a receptive audience. If you thread any slightly negative constructive observations you may have into generally positive language, they are more likely to be taken on board.

Once again, well done for looking for a dialogue that will provide a potentially positive platform for improvement.

Too often, when cyclists have an issue with an employer it just sounds like a slightly self-indulgent moan to impress their pals.

:biggrin: The smile is genuine; A billion snotty letters, self-aggrandising posts on a web forum and moans to the Police do not have the potential for improvement that your action does.

I wish you well in your endeavour.

Thank you Bicycle and for your great advice :hello: .

I was inspired by Magnatom to do this after I read his blog and how he had approached his local Bus company. He had a very positive meeting with them and I am hoping to do the same tomorrow.

I will let you know how I get on. Thank you all for your very useful feedback so far - please keep it coming!

Addison Lee taxis are a bit like potholes. If you don't see them in time and take evasive action you will come of second best. They are the most consistently bad drivers in London. I say that as a motorist, cyclist, skater and pedestrian.

The only thing worse than an Addison Lee taxi is an Addison Lee delivery driver on a motorcycle.

I agree. I've had far too many close calls with Addison Lee, and abusive comments from their drivers (you were too close, you nearly hit me - shame I didn't, one less cyclist etc etc). I'm always on my guard when I see them now (in fact I think there should be warning signs on Boris Bike stations to alert people to Addison Lee's incompetance!).

flogster

Addison Lee are, in my experience, the single worst collection of drivers on the road.

I've yet to come across one on my commute that has caused me to think "they're not all bad after all". To me, they are.

With Buses, Black Cabs, motorists, bikers, Lorries and even coaches, I've had positive experiences where these drivers have shown consideration and common sense re cyclists.

The other lot....nothing more than outright selfishness and general disregard for the safety of others - me in other words.

angry.gif

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
Hi Chaps

I had an incident with an Addison Lee driver a while ago now and after a request from myself to visit their Driving Training School I have an appointment with them tomorrow. They are going to show me around Addison Lee and then I get an opportunity to sit in on their driver training.

Do you guys have any feedback that I can pass on to them?

Diolch yn fawr
thumbsup.gif
stupid, inconsiderate drivers who don't know their way around London

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
You know me more then most on here Katie and you know that very little phases or bothers me on the road whilst on a bike.
Addison Lee make an exception. Their drivers are some of the worst that I have the misfortune to share the roads with as 'Share' is something that Addison Lee drivers know or care very little about.
They seem to regard cyclists as a nuisance to bully and harass at will.

Jezston

Über Member
Well, her_welshness, I look forwards to hearing about the staff at Addison Lee's reaction to you passing on the opinions that have been shown in response ;)

Top Bottom