Vittoria Corsa fitting nightmare

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cupotea

***Apologies, I posted this in the wrong section***

Good morning all.

I've been giving my bike a spring treat to some new tyres and ordered some Vittoria Corsa G2.0 700c 28 but for the life of me I cannot get them on the rim, which is a Mavic Kyserium Elite (2015 model I think) even without a tube and liberal use of levers and force. I can't find anything online to say they are known to be difficult and normally I can get any tyre on these easily with my thumbs.

I'm starting from opposite the valve and making sure the bead is seated as deep into the rim as possible. I've only tried one so far as they're blummin tan walls and as much as I'd like to try the other one to see if it's manufacturing variance it will definitely mark it and make returning impossible. Has anyone else had problems with these?

Last edited:

Heigue'r

Veteran
I have them on some campagnolo wheels,a slight bit more difficult than gp4000 eg but have done what you have done above...the first side went easy but the second side,I had to have both sides in the well and work around some slack..kind of like push it in opposite the valve and work both hands around without letting go of it...I did have to use a tyre lever to get the last bit over..first tyre Ive ever had to do this as can usually do with thumbs only...it shouldnt mark the tyre popping the last bit over with the lever

raleighnut

Legendary Member
***Apologies, I posted this in the wrong section***

Good morning all.

I've been giving my bike a spring treat to some new tyres and ordered some Vittoria Corsa G2.0 700c 28 but for the life of me I cannot get them on the rim, which is a Mavic Kyserium Elite (2015 model I think) even without a tube and liberal use of levers and force. I can't find anything online to say they are known to be difficult and normally I can get any tyre on these easily with my thumbs.

I'm starting from opposite the valve and making sure the bead is seated as deep into the rim as possible. I've only tried one so far as they're blummin tan walls and as much as I'd like to try the other one to see if it's manufacturing variance it will definitely mark it and make returning impossible. Has anyone else had problems with these?
I always state and finish 90 degrees from the valve.

OP
OP
C

Cupotea

I've just managed to get one on without a tube and a lot of swearing. It still seems incredibly taught on the rim. I'll leave it for a few hours and see it it stretches at all. At the moment even if I could get a tube in I wouldn't dare ride them in case I got a puncture and couldn't change it.

The tread as "Tubeless Ready" moulded in which is odd as the packaging makes no reference though it may explain the obscenely snug fit.

fossala

Guru
I've just managed to get one on without a tube and a lot of swearing. It still seems incredibly taught on the rim. I'll leave it for a few hours and see it it stretches at all. At the moment even if I could get a tube in I wouldn't dare ride them in case I got a puncture and couldn't change it.

The tread as "Tubeless Ready" moulded in which is odd as the packaging makes no reference though it may explain the obscenely snug fit.
I won’t use tubeless tyres with tubes for this reason. One system or the other.

OP
OP
C

Cupotea

I won’t use tubeless tyres with tubes for this reason. One system or the other.
Nor would I but the advert and packaging makes zero reference to it. I will have to order something else and argue the toss about returning the one I've installed. £48 a go is too much to just bin. My lust for tan wall got the better of me!

fossala

Guru
Nor would I but the advert and packaging makes zero reference to it. I will have to order something else and argue the toss about returning the one I've installed. £48 a go is too much to just bin. My lust for tan wall got the better of me!
Your rim not tubeless?

I managed to get a tubeless vitoria corsa speed on no problem but couldn't get it to seat after a couple of days trying I took it to a lbs. They couldn't get it to seat either, it was just too light and soft. In the end I bought another brand of tyre, it seated instantly :-/

You may have just come across a rim/tyre combo that isn't happy,I would be expecting a modern 28c tyre to be a tight fit on someyhing like the Mavics;just had fun fitting Schwalbe Duranos on to some older Mavic Kyseriums.

Oh and Marathon pluses will fit nice and easy on some rims but can be a pain on others(like 25c's on narrow roadie rims:wacko::wacko:).

Ajax Bay

Guru
If you try to finish opposite the valve, then the tyre beads at the valve cannot drop down into the rim well as they are prevented from so doing by the valve stem. ETA: This makes getting the final section of bead into the rim more difficult.
both sides in the well and work around some slack . . .
This. I'd recommend starting by getting the bead in place beside and each side of the valve (pushing the valve in as necessary), and work round to finish at 90 degrees to the valve.

Last edited:

andrew_s

Legendary Member
Tyres do vary, even if they are meant to be the same.
I had the same problem when replacing a Conti GP4season 28 (fairly loose fit) by another. The new one was so tight it needed a lever for the first side, before the tube went in. In the end, I had to give up and use a different tyre.
I did eventually manage to get it on a spare wheel which had thin rim tape and using a bead jack, and left it stretching at 160 psi until the alternative tyre had worn out, by which time it was merely normal tight rather than bastard tight.
The tyre had come cheap from the bargain basket at the LBS, and in retrospect, I think someone else must have returned it as an impossible fit.

Top Bottom