Vodafone launches rear smart light.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
1623160195654.png

Vodafone has launched a smart light which includes a tracker and takes a sim card:
https://cyclingtips.com/2021/06/vodafone-curve-bike-light/

Brandane

Legendary Member
Sounds good - in theory. I would like to know more about the claim that it is "attached to round seatposts with theft-resistant hardware".
Theft resistant then, hmmmm! Even if a thief can't remove the base unit, the easy way round that is obviously to remove the seatpost; no great hardship to ride the bike to the waiting van without a saddle and seatpost. But it's a step in the right direction and could be interesting. They might even waive the £3 monthly fee to existing Vodafone customers if we're lucky.

winjim

Smash the cistern
Saw the thread title and thought 'I bet it's got a brake light'. It's got a brake light. It's a toy.

HMS_Dave

Grand Old Lady
Sounds good - in theory. I would like to know more about the claim that it is "attached to round seatposts with theft-resistant hardware".
Theft resistant then, hmmmm! Even if a thief can't remove the base unit, the easy way round that is obviously to remove the seatpost; no great hardship to ride the bike to the waiting van without a saddle and seatpost. But it's a step in the right direction and could be interesting. They might even waive the £3 monthly fee to existing Vodafone customers if we're lucky.
It looks like it secures around the seat post with a single allen (security bolt).

vity-subscription-fee-www.vodafone.co-4-1-1340x754.jpg

image001_6_.jpg

Unless im missing something, Im not sure that it really justifies its claims that it uses "theft-resistant hardware" unless the target thieves are primary school children.

It has some nice features though.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
those who talk out of their arses?

or when calling Trump

It looks like it secures around the seat post with a single allen (security bolt).

View attachment 592876
View attachment 592877

Unless im missing something, Im not sure that it really justifies its claims that it uses "theft-resistant hardware" unless the target thieves are primary school children.

It has some nice features though.
i didn't notice the theft resistant claim.
how's about unclipping your rear cateye when you walk away from the bike?

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
More seriously the sim will be for the tracking bit to talk over a data connection to a Vodafone server or some such. So it can update its location when out and about. No doubt set via an app or some such.

winjim

Smash the cistern
How could it alert you to the theft of your bike, if it's not attached to your bike?

The light bit does come off, and the base bit goes woo woo and phones you up if your bike gets nicked.

Drago

Legendary Member
Even the dumbest tea leaf will know to remove that - any blunt isntrument, or even the same grinder they used to cut the lock, will remove that in an instant. Even the dumbest tea leaf knows that Vodafone has worse customer services than either British Gas or the British League of Fascists.

The whole lot is about as useful as a solar powered torch, or a rain powered towel.

HMS_Dave

Grand Old Lady
That is possible by the looks of it, but i would assume that the part of the "sensing movement" GPS feature wouldn't be useful anymore. My take on that is that it designed to send an alert to the bike owner if someone is messing about with your bike so they can return just in time to find the light in bits on the floor with the bike missing...

Top Bottom