Voodoo Bizango 2016, correct crankset?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cyrill666

Hi,

I need to replace the outer chainring on a voodoo bizango (2016), I suspect this means replacing the entire crankset. The current crankset is a Suntour XCM 36/22, it has various numbers stamped on it but I can't seem to find a definite match online.

The closest I've found is this - but I'm not 100% sure if it's a match.

For info, the numbers stamped on the current crankset are CRG732-36T / CTA 434 / 583-22N

Can anyone confirm?

Thank you.

Last edited:

Jenkins

Legendary Member
Why not just source a compatible outer chain ring? It's only held on by four bolts.

iluvmybike

Über Member
The one you have linbked to has the same number of teeth as your existing one - the link states it is for an Octalink bb - you need to check you have the octalink one and not square taper or you would have to change the bb as well

OP
OP
Cyrill666

Cyrill666

Cheers folks. Existing BB is definitely an octalink, I have the crank off ^_^.

Seems like Suntour chainrings aren't readily available as separate items, which is a shame as I have 3 identical bikes (MTB family thing). I've bought a chainring with the same dimensions (BCD, teeth etc), so once that's arrived I'll see if it fits. If not, I'll chalk it up to experience and buy the full crankset.

Thanks for your help. :notworthy:

Dawlish Peddler

What specific chainring did you buy, Gary?

I too am experiencing the same issue with my Bizango.

Cheers

Craig

coliin

My Bizango has a Suntour XCM 38/24t crankset. I tried to replace the damaged 38t with a Shimano FCM617. I got it to fit with a bit of persuasion, but found that the spacing was just a bit too wide and the chain has a tendency to get stuck between the rings. The issue seems to be that the original chainring had a plastic moulding on the inner face (it's the bit that got damaged on mine), which effectively makes it thicker than the Shimano.

It occurs to me that spacing the ring with some washers would reduce the gap - but I assume this wouldn't be a satisfactory solution. Is there anything else I should try before resorting to a new cahinset? Failing that, could anyone recommend a similar (38/24t octalink) replacement? The XCM appears to be available (and relatively inexpensive) but in addition to the damage and lack of ring availability, it was liable to chain suck - so I'd be keen to find something more reliable if possible.

Thanks,
Colin.

C R

Guru
My Bizango has a Suntour XCM 38/24t crankset. I tried to replace the damaged 38t with a Shimano FCM617. I got it to fit with a bit of persuasion, but found that the spacing was just a bit too wide and the chain has a tendency to get stuck between the rings. The issue seems to be that the original chainring had a plastic moulding on the inner face (it's the bit that got damaged on mine), which effectively makes it thicker than the Shimano.

It occurs to me that spacing the ring with some washers would reduce the gap - but I assume this wouldn't be a satisfactory solution. Is there anything else I should try before resorting to a new cahinset? Failing that, could anyone recommend a similar (38/24t octalink) replacement? The XCM appears to be available (and relatively inexpensive) but in addition to the damage and lack of ring availability, it was liable to chain suck - so I'd be keen to find something more reliable if possible.

Thanks,
Colin.
Is the ring asimmetric by any chance? Turn it around to see if that reduces the gap. Otherwise, I think spacers might be ok.

coliin

The ring is asymmetric - but it has a metal pin that sticks out behind the pedal, so I don't think it could be reversed. I didn't know that spacers were a legitimate option - so thanks for the feedback. I'll give them a try. I was worried that the screws might not be long enough - but I guess I could get some longer ones if this appears to be the case.

Reactions: C R

C R

Guru
The ring is asymmetric - but it has a metal pin that sticks out behind the pedal, so I don't think it could be reversed. I didn't know that spacers were a legitimate option - so thanks for the feedback. I'll give them a try. I was worried that the screws might not be long enough - but I guess I could get some longer ones if this appears to be the case.
I personally have no experience with spacers, but have seen people using them. As long as the bolts are long enough to hold properly it should work.

Top Bottom