Voodoo Limba - sizing

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fortunatemango

Afternoon all,

Come across a Voodoo Limba that’s about half an hour from me and priced decently given the current climate.

The only issue is, is that it’s a size Large (57.5cm). I’m 5’11 tall and had size Medium embedded in my mind as the most appropriate size for me. When buying a Marin Fairfax a couple years back, I was between M and L and advised to go for the M by the salesman.

Does any body have or has had the bike in question and can offer some advice? Best bet is to prob go and size it out but if it definitely won’t fit I’d rather not make the hour round journey.

Also, (roughly), how much will it cost to convert from mechanical disks to hydraulic?

Thanks in advance

vickster

Legendary Member
According to halfords, you’re at the top of the M and bottom of the L. Usually the advice would be to go smaller but only you can really tell, you could always shorten the stem if a little stretched

https://www.halfords.com/bikes/adve...enture-bike---52-54.5-57cm-frames-445554.html

What’s wrong with mechanical disc brakes? On a road bike, you’ll need different shifters and brakes, £400 for new parts? Better mechanical disc brakes like TRP Spyre around £120-150 for new calipers (or buy used from eBay)

Last edited:
OP
OP
F

fortunatemango

According to halfords, you’re at the top of the M and bottom of the L. Usually the advice would be to go smaller but only you can really tell, you could always shorten the stem if a little stretched

https://www.halfords.com/bikes/adve...enture-bike---52-54.5-57cm-frames-445554.html

What’s wrong with mechanical disc brakes? On a road bike, you’ll need different shifters and brakes, £400 for new parts? Better mechanical disc brakes like TRP Spyre around £120-150 for new calipers (or buy used from eBay)

Is shortening the stem as simple as taking away one (or more) of the spacers underneath the handle bars?

I’ve heard quite commonly (especially with Halfords bike - Boardman, Carrera and Voodoo), that the mechanical disks require adjusting a lot. Would like the brakes to be as hassle free and require as little maintenance as possible.

vickster

Legendary Member
Is shortening the stem as simple as taking away one (or more) of the spacers underneath the handle bars?

I’ve heard quite commonly (especially with Halfords bike - Boardman, Carrera and Voodoo), that the mechanical disks require adjusting a lot. Would like the brakes to be as hassle free and require as little maintenance as possible.
No, you’re adding a shorter handlebar stem, the bit that joins the bars to the fork. It’s still an easy job, stems start under £20
TRP Spyres only require an infrequent turn with an Allen key, takes a minute. All calipers need some adjustment anyhow as the pads wear. Hydraulic brakes also need setting up and some maintenance

OP
OP
F

fortunatemango

No, you’re adding a shorter handlebar stem, the bit that joins the bars to the fork. It’s still an easy job, stems start under £20
TRP Spyres only require an infrequent turn with an Allen key, takes a minute. All calipers need some adjustment anyhow as the pads wear. Hydraulic brakes also need setting up and some maintenance

Ah, I see what you mean. That looks like it would be simple enough.

I will def take a note of the TRP Spyres in case I decide the stock brakes are naff.

Cheers Vickster

OP
OP
F

fortunatemango

Good news - bought the bike and it turns out it was a medium (54.5cm) after all!

Bad news - one of the clipless pedals won’t come off... any ideas?

OP
OP
F

fortunatemango

Are you turning it the right way?

Yes, definitely. The gent I bought it from gave it a good few go’s which were also to no avail.

OP
OP
F

fortunatemango

Where are you based ?

As there might be a local cc'er who might be able to help you or suggest a good shop

For what it's worth i rate the Limba's and used one myself for a while , so enjoy it

Based in Leeds - hopefully someone can recommend an LBS. I might make a trip to the one that is closest to me according to Google - Drake’s cycles.

I have been reading further in to the issue and can see a few people in the past have advised (and tried) using a pedal spanner which has worked a treat. Unfortunately for me there are no spanner flats on the actual pedals, I can only remove them using an Alan key on the end.

Glad to hear the positive feedback! Didn’t initially give Limba’s much thought but yesterday a very decent example came up for an even more reasonable price (Given the current climate) and it was hard to say no.

vickster

Legendary Member
Based in Leeds - hopefully someone can recommend an LBS. I might make a trip to the one that is closest to me according to Google - Drake’s cycles.

I have been reading further in to the issue and can see a few people in the past have advised (and tried) using a pedal spanner which has worked a treat. Unfortunately for me there are no spanner flats on the actual pedals, I can only remove them using an Alan key on the end.

Glad to hear the positive feedback! Didn’t initially give Limba’s much thought but yesterday a very decent example came up for an even more reasonable price (Given the current climate) and it was hard to say no.
Just take to the LBS, they'll be able to do it very easily (hopefully)
What are the pedals?

DRM

Guru
You could try a pair of stilsons or mole grips on the shaft if you’re not bothered about saving them, don’t forget to turn them the right way, remember back off, turn towards the rear of the bike on both sides to unscrew the pedal from the crank, when you replace them use a little copper slip if you have some, or grease to prevent your new pedals seizing in place

Top Bottom