Vuelta - **SPOILER**

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Now, that really is disgusting.
angry.gif

I know that it is a condition of using this board that you have to dismiss everyone almost out of hand that doesn't have an encyclopaedic knowledge of cycling, but if you bothered to read three sentences further into the article, you'd see it says that David Millar was on the podium at the Giro in 1987, and the Vuelta in '85 and '86. Stunning that, at the end of a Vuelta which has two Brits on the podium, there are more posts bemoaning a BBC article than celebrating the result!

I haven't read the BBC article, but if your quotation, in red, is correct, then the journalism is even more 'disgusting'!

It was Robert, not David, Millar on the podium (David Millar was only 10 years old!), but who's worried about accurate journalism?

raindog

er.....
I know that it is a condition of using this board that you have to dismiss everyone almost out of hand that doesn't have an encyclopaedic knowledge of cycling, but if you bothered to read three sentences further into the article, you'd see it says that David Millar was on the podium at the Giro in 1987, and the Vuelta in '85 and '86.
If I'd bothered to read three sentences further into the article to see that it says David Millar was on the podium of the Giro in 1987 and the Vuelta in '85 and '86 I would've been even more disgusted. This was - presumably - written by a professional journalist. If he can't get basic historical facts right, then what's the point?

No it does say Robert not David. I think, as Hlab says, it's just badly written. I think it's referring to having two on the podium together.

Can you not get the BBC news in France Raindog? I know live sport used to be blocked some years ago but I'm not sure if they then made further changes to who could read the site.

I haven't read the BBC article, but if your quotation, in red, is correct, then the journalism is even more 'disgusting'!

It was Robert, not David, Millar on the podium (David Millar was only 10 years old!), but who's worried about accurate journalism?

If it said David, they've corrected it
Robert Millar was the last Briton to have earned a grand tour podium spot, at the 1987 Giro d'Italia.

Scotsman Millar also finished second twice at the Vuelta, in 1985 and '86.

raindog

er.....
Can you not get the BBC news in France Raindog? I know live sport used to be blocked some years ago but I'm not sure if they then made further changes to who could read the site.
Radio news? Probably - I've never tried as I'm happy getting live news from French TV or off the BBC website. I do use the listen again I-player system alot though, as it keeps me in touch with my language and culture, and it's a decent distraction while I'm working. I know some of the sports stuff is geo-restricted though, as I often try to watch the little rugby vids, but they won't work for me.

A pal of mine who is constantly emailing the beeb about their lack of bike racing coverage, got on to them this morning about that caption gaff, so it may well have been modified since.
rolleyes.gif

OP
OP
rich p

rich p

ridiculous old lush
According to the BBC website .......

"Chris Froome and Bradley Wiggins made history as the first Brits to stand on a grand tour podium, finishing second and third in the Vuelta a Espana behind Spains' Juan Jose Cobo. "

:wacko:

Terrible grammar CG, I agree.

It should be Spain's

:whistle:

Buddfox

Veteran
Ha!! Well doesn't that make me look like an idiot?! It said Robert, I just typed it wrong in my haste. Just finished his (David's) book, had it on the brain. It still confuses me that they're not related.

Ha!! Well doesn't that make me look like an idiot?! It said Robert, I just typed it wrong in my haste. Just finished his (David's) book, had it on the brain. It still confuses me that they're not related.

:tongue:

One's Scottish - the other one isn't! ;)

Top Bottom