Vuelta - **SPOILER**

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
What would happen if they went into Madrid with only a 2 or 3 second gap?

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
What would happen if they went into Madrid with only a 2 or 3 second gap?
All hell would break loose.

As I've said about the final stage of Le Tour, the stuff about riders having a gentlemen's agreement not to attack on the last stage is just a myth. The reason the final stage of a GT is run at an easy pace is because they are flat and 99% of the time the leader has a big enough gap to make it virtually impossible to be overhauled on that type of stage.

But if he was within reach the gloves would be off.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Oh well, all a bit of an anticlimax today. The pace was generally too high for significant attacks.
Anti-climatic from a British perspective, but quite a decent watch for a flat stage.

It's been a great race for us, 2nd and 3rd on GC and a new star with what should be a great future ahead. We're in the golden age of British cycling so let's enjoy it. As an Irishman I can tell you it may not last and soon becomes ever more ancient history
sad.gif

Willo

Only saw the last 10km or so. What were Harman and Kelly talking about re Froome making a mistake? Got the impression from their comments that he sprinted to a 'KM to go' kite mistaking it for an intermediate sprint that was actually further down the road?

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Only saw the last 10km or so. What were Harman and Kelly talking about re Froome making a mistake? Got the impression from their comments that he sprinted to a 'KM to go' kite mistaking it for an intermediate sprint that was actually further down the road?
That's about it.

It was only worth a couple of seconds though.

Well 2nd and 3rd and a mtn top finish. So, over 20 years to emulate Robert Millar. Puts his eforts into perspective, given what's behind team Sky.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
Well 2nd and 3rd and a mtn top finish. So, over 20 years to emulate Robert Millar. Puts his eforts into perspective, given what's behind team Sky.
Wasn't Sky's objective a podium place in a GT sometime before the end of next year, on the way to winning the TdF by 2014? To achieve two seems like a pretty good step.

Wasn't Sky's objective a podium place in a GT sometime before the end of next year, on the way to winning the TdF by 2014? To achieve two seems like a pretty good step.

Oh I'm not belittling them, quite the opposite, I think it's a fabulous achievment and I'm excited to see it. I was just putting it into perspective in the historically recent. No doubt Hilldodger could point to some more successful British cyclists but not the way we recognise the sport today. I certainly didn't mean to sound negative but I am a fan of Millar. Probably because he was racing at his prime when I first started following cycle racing.

Keith Oates

Janner
It is a good result for Sky and I for one am very pleasantly surprised that Wiggins is in 3rd place and hopefully will finish on the podium. I didn't think that was possible and just goes to show how wrong I was. Froome would seem to have a great future and could well be the rider to get Sky a TdF win!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cheddar George

oober member

According to the BBC website .......

"Chris Froome and Bradley Wiggins made history as the first Brits to stand on a grand tour podium, finishing second and third in the Vuelta a Espana behind Spains' Juan Jose Cobo. "

:wacko:

According to the BBC website .......

"Chris Froome and Bradley Wiggins made history as the first Brits to stand on a grand tour podium, finishing second and third in the Vuelta a Espana behind Spains' Juan Jose Cobo. "

:wacko:

They are definitely not the first, Millar done it in 85, however this was the first time a pair of British rider were there, Millar was on his own; perhaps that what they mean.

Buddfox

Veteran
I know that it is a condition of using this board that you have to dismiss everyone almost out of hand that doesn't have an encyclopaedic knowledge of cycling, but if you bothered to read three sentences further into the article, you'd see it says that David Millar was on the podium at the Giro in 1987, and the Vuelta in '85 and '86. Stunning that, at the end of a Vuelta which has two Brits on the podium, there are more posts bemoaning a BBC article than celebrating the result!

Top Bottom