Vuelta - **SPOILER**

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

oldroadman

Veteran
They know nothing. There are now just 13 seconds between the top two. With the way the time bonuses work and intermediate sprints, these are going to be an incredibly nervous last few days with both Sky and Geox trying to cover everything, all the time. There are so many chances for a slip that allows a surgical attack to gain just a second or two (like today), that with bonus times can turn in to 10 seconds or more and then... who knows?

Sky have clearly let Froome off the leash now, and Brad is going to have to help him as best he can, whilst at the same time watching out for Mollema, who is now close enough to take his third place, and climbing better too.

Certainly agree with that, the ITV4 commentators are hopeless. They even make Liggett and Sherwen look great. If you can possibly manage it, Eurosport is the one. Harmon and Kelly, excelllent and passionate commentary from someone who loves the sport, and analysis from a man who knows what it's like at the top.

Taking a step back: When was the last British mountain top winner in a grand tour. When, if ever, did we hold two positions on the podium with a chance still of the top place. It's astonishing really. Even 5 years ago I never thought to see British riders dominating racing news headlines.

Rob500

Also he rode a 34×32, didn't he?
ohmy.gif
while everyone else looked to be using 34×28. better choice of gears!?

The finish today was fantastic.

Hi Rocky. What does 34x32 etc mean? :blush:

Keith Oates

Janner
Froome is really giving all he's got and to take that win was great. Now we just have to hope that he and Wiggins can both be on the podium with one of them on the top step!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

iLB

Hello there
what sort of position do we think this leaves Brad in regarding future tdf's? arguably he wouldn't be anywhere near where he is on GC without considerable help from Froome, who is now pulling away from him at will on the tougher climbs, surely leaving some question marks over his leadership in future. Not forgetting of course the broken collar bone, but it's hard to know how much fitness and endurance Wiggins has lost whilst recovering from the injury.

montage

God Almighty
I think Wiggins will have another shot at the TDF in 2012 as leader and Froome will go for the Vuelta/Giro, and then a reverse next in 2013. Froome still has a few years until he hits his peak, whereas Wiggins must be more or less there. Don't forget the signing of Richie Port who is arguably good enough to be a GC contender - and remember how impressive Uran was in the TDF - I don't think Bradley will be short of domestiques in the mountains if Froome targets another race.

However...I can't see anybody beating team Radioshack-Nissan-Trek next year, too many superstars

Rob500

34 teeth on the smallest chainring and 32 teeth on the largest sprocket.
Brad was on 38x32.

Thanks Raindog. Does that mean that the pro cyclists change the chainrings
to suit the Stage? (replacing them I mean, not just moving to the small one)

montage

God Almighty
Who knows!.. but back the to Vuelta....many chances for Froome to take back time do we think?

If Froome does win this Vuelta, there is a good chance it will be the closest GT in history. There look to be a few intermeadiate sprints that he has a good chance of taking should the breakaway be in check.

Also, where has Lofvust been? Yes I understand that he has been doing all the teamwork...but he still should be featuring more, surely?

Top Bottom