VW camper vans

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I see about 4 around here being driven regularly. One is fluorescent green,one's fluoro orange,one's metallic purple and one is chrome silver . Disregarding the over value aspect of these vehicles they look absolutely :becool:!

bianchi1

Guru
I've got a T5 combi, not converted to a camper but has side windows and 5 seats etc.

It's getting on for 10 years old now and relatively high milage but I'm asked about once a month by strangers if I'm looking to sell. A few weeks ago I came out of my house in the morning to find a hand written note stuffed under the wiper offering to buy it!

New ones are so expensive and 2 hand sales are rare so they hold their value I guess.

Brains

Legendary Member
I had a K reg (1972) one for about 5 years in the late 80's, I seem to remember I flogged it for the same price as I bought it, £400!

Very solid, top speed of 62mph, which meant on a 2,000 mile German autobahn trip in 1989 the only vehicles I could overtake were the East German Trabants that were flooding into West Germany at the time

tyred

Legendary Member
If I had the cash I'd buy one, get as much use out of it possible and sell it on when I get bored. Buy sensibly in the first place you could do that without losing money as they will hold value.

MarkF

Guru
The originals are totally gorgeous, a guy runs a rat one near me that looks about 3" off the floor.

It's like 2CV's, bubble cars and vintage scooters, or buying a house in Skipton, you've always wanted one but by the time you've got around to buying, demand had exceeded supply and the owners can ask whatever.

I wanted a 2CV when you could hardly give them away, now look at the prices. As for bubble cars it's like the Dutch tulip mania.

Smudge

Veteran
The 'Run To The Sun' Newquay used to be a mecca for Vee Dubs every year. Living down here, i would often see a fair few broke down at the side of the road on the M5 or A30.

Chris S

Legendary Member
I see about 4 around here being driven regularly. One is fluorescent green,one's fluoro orange,one's metallic purple and one is chrome silver ...
A pink one would be even camper :smile:

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Must admit a massive residual affection for the things - I used to hitchhike a lot, and when you saw one coming, you'd think 'Yes!' - no other vehicle came close for prospects of a pickup.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
I had a type 2 van which I fitted out with furniture from my previous Commer. Admittedly I used it commercially for nearly 100,000 miles but tbh it was a pile of rubbish. Forever breaking down. Went through heat exchangers as well as cylinder heads cracking with new exhausts regularly and a new gearbox after I stopped the sliding door falling off. The gear linkage was a nightmare and I remember coming back from Wales overnight with a blown heat exchanger in October. Maximum speed was about 55 to 60 mph and fuel consumption was rubbish.Sounded nice tho’.

Top Bottom