Wahoo question

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Domus

Guru
Looking to ditch the Garmin Edge Touring, never lost data but the thing freezes and switches off randomly.

The Wahoo Bolt comes in a bundle with heart rate strap, cadence sensor and speed sensor. What is the speed sensor for? Is it more accurate than the GPS unit? Or am I barking up the wrong tree?

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
You can use the the cadence sensor for a wheel-on turbo.

That said I have heard that the old magnet/spoke bike computers are more accurate than any gps. I can’t verify that though.

You’ll love Wahoo. I haven’t looked back since chucking my Garmin.

bluezelos

I'm hanging on for the overpriced Elemnt Roam, strangely 5 reviews on the website, some a month old, yet the thing hasn't been made for sale yet as far as I'm aware.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
They have the Roam in the US. If you have not read DCRainmakers extensive review you should. He is not impressed.

I have the Bolt and it is excellent. I would like it to recalculate a route if you go off track. But that is my only complaint. In 2 years it has never gone wrong.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
To answer the question, the speed sensor supplements the GPS and should improve your distance/speed accuracy, especially in areas with poor quality GPS reception.

bluezelos

They have the Roam in the US. If you have not read DCRainmakers extensive review you should. He is not impressed.

I have the Bolt and it is excellent. I would like it to recalculate a route if you go off track. But that is my only complaint. In 2 years it has never gone wrong.

Yeah, read the review, it's pretty thorough, also seen his clip on youtube. I think his main gripe is he doesn't think it's worth the money for what it does. He also thinks some of the features seem a bit dated. I quite like the size of the roam, it has a bigger screen than my garmin. Would you say the bolt is a better value buy? Is the screen size similar to the roam?

CXRAndy

Guru
Looking to ditch the Garmin Edge Touring, never lost data but the thing freezes and switches off randomly.

The Wahoo Bolt comes in a bundle with heart rate strap, cadence sensor and speed sensor. What is the speed sensor for? Is it more accurate than the GPS unit? Or am I barking up the wrong tree?

Speed sensor is more accurate, especially if riding slowly. The larger Elemnt is nicer to look at, but that's me with failing eyes

OP
OP
Domus

Domus

Guru
I saw the YouTube review, the extra £100 for the Roam does not look like good value to me.
Been out this morning very early, 57 Kms and the Garmin behaved perfectly. :wacko:
I fancy the cadence and HR monitor gubbins so may well bite the bullet and get a Bolt bundle.
Thanks for all the replies. :okay:

I saw the YouTube review, the extra £100 for the Roam does not look like good value to me.
Been out this morning very early, 57 Kms and the Garmin behaved perfectly. :wacko:
I fancy the cadence and HR monitor gubbins so may well bite the bullet and get a Bolt bundle.
Thanks for all the replies. :okay:

I understand the Roam is not being sold due to a problem with the mount - it breaks.

I've tested an (older) touring model and returned it after a few weeks. I use a Wahoo Elemnt and it is great. Has never let me down, although I only use it for navigation.

I too have seen the Roam reviews and it does nothing for me, which surprised me because the Roam is all about navigation.

As with all these types of things, I've found it's important to think about what I want a unit to do before looking at what is available.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Yeah, read the review, it's pretty thorough, also seen his clip on youtube. I think his main gripe is he doesn't think it's worth the money for what it does. He also thinks some of the features seem a bit dated. I quite like the size of the roam, it has a bigger screen than my garmin. Would you say the bolt is a better value buy? Is the screen size similar to the roam?
I dont know what size the Roam screen is. But screen size is not important with the Wahoos. You can easily navigate with the beeps and leds.

13 rider

Guru
Wahoo bolt user . Love it . Big difference in the new roam and the elmnt and bolt is the cloud screen which sounds nice but having used the black and white screen bolt for 2 years would I upgrade answer no .
Speed sensor is more accurate and instant . My battery went in the speed sensor I knew this as the head unit was slow hoping the speed when I accelerated but it's not essential if your looking to save money

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
I dont know what size the Roam screen is. But screen size is not important with the Wahoos. You can easily navigate with the beeps and leds.

A good point. I went for the larger screen on the Elemnt as it is easier to read at night, but like you say, you can set it up so LEDs direct you ‘straight, left or right’.

Bare in mind though, that it’s not just a larger screen: It is a larger battery too. (Same software etc and you can add more fields to view, but I like it simple so opt for less anyway)

OP
OP
Domus

Domus

Guru
Ooooh, got another question. I do like Garmin Connect where I have all my rides uploaded, will it allow a Wahoo to upload rides? Or will I have to use a different site?

My wahoo bolt started freezing on longer rides. I do not know whether it was because it had just had an update, but when it got to just over 200 miles it had a screen freeze, then just turned itself off and restarted itself. On rides shorter than this it has been perfect, unlike my garmin which threw hissy fits at will!
The screen size is quite small, but the def is very good. I struggled to follow the route on a garmin 800, especially in bright light. No such problems with the wahoo. My mate can even read it while riding next to me.
If you want to have a look at the Bolt, let me know, I am just around the corner from Radcliffe.

Top Bottom