Wahoo question

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Ooooh, got another question. I do like Garmin Connect where I have all my rides uploaded, will it allow a Wahoo to upload rides? Or will I have to use a different site?

You can set a Wahoo to upload directly, and automatically, to Strava and RideWithGPS. It will also do the same for a wide range of fitness apps. Most people I know go with Strava.

I'm not very familiar with the Roam. What I can is this.i find the Elemnt black and white screen very easy to read and use. I would not go back a colour screen as I had on my Garmin.

The "Get me Started" function could be useful for getting to the start of a ride when in an unfamiliar area.

The reroute when off track? Well I suppose it has benefits but a flashing red LED for a quarter mile after missing a turn is adequate for me. This is already in the Elemnt.

"Route to Start" to get back to your starting point is useful. I thought but have never used it this could be achieved on the Elemnt by selecting the reverse route option?

I would highly recommend the Elemnt. Mine has never faltered. My experience of Garmin 810 is it became so complex the device would almost confuse itself and constantly fail. Poor set up by the user, I was guilty, made it very difficult to use and the directions as to how to do this very poor. I would not buy another Garmin.

My concern with Wahoo is the Roam could be the start of a road leading to ever more complex devices which become difficult and bloated to use. The beauty of Wahoo is simplicity.

D

Deleted member 26715

Ooooh, got another question. I do like Garmin Connect where I have all my rides uploaded, will it allow a Wahoo to upload rides? Or will I have to use a different site?
There is another program whose name alludes me currently which synchronises all the apps so whichever you upload it to the others get a share, it will backfill garmin connect if you want.

Used the original Elemnt for a couple of years with no issues. Nice big screen thats easy to read even in direct sunlight, good battery life and good enough navigation. I do sometimes wish there were more navigation options available without the companion app but I guess the relative simplicity is part of why it's so reliable. I looked at the Bolt but didn't like the screen as it was too small and too low contrast for me.

The only point of caution I'd raise it that whenever you update the firmware, make sure you take it outside straight away and give it time to get a stationary GPS fix before your next ride. I've had a few occasions where I've updated just before a ride and then not been able to get a GPS fix for a good 10-15 mins while moving, which is annoying as you lose that part of your ride/workout.

I do sometimes wish there were more navigation options available without the companion app

Curious about this bit.
You can connect your Wahoo directly to a P.C. and transfer files directly, bypassing the app. You can do the same with a bit more effort on a phone or tablet (but only really useful in rare situations).
You can also use other routing apps on the fly, sync and be able to use those routes on your unit. I find the Wahoo "Take me to" functionality to be very poor, but there are simple alternatives once you're online, and even other alternatives if you're offline.
Or have I completely misunderstood?

The only point of caution I'd raise it that whenever you update the firmware, make sure you take it outside straight away and give it time to get a stationary GPS fix before your next ride. I've had a few occasions where I've updated just before a ride and then not been able to get a GPS fix for a good 10-15 mins while moving, which is annoying as you lose that part of your ride/workout.
Good advice for any gps device. It seems nowadays that there are very few "updates" that don't mess with something. And if planning a long ride, do a short one first just to test functionality.

I meant that it would be nice to be able to amend a route from the device itself - as with Garmin - rather than being dependent on the phone app or other external source of data.

And that's always been the biggest point of differentiation between Garmin and Wahoo on paper. From a features perspective, Wahoo's navigation experience really doesn't compare favourably to Garmin; in real world use though and in terms of doing what it should when it should and not crapping out every other time, the Wahoo beats Garmin most of the time, in my experience.

Be keen to see how the 830 does in the longer term though as it looks like a nice unit, on paper.

I meant that it would be nice to be able to amend a route from the device itself - as with Garmin - rather than being dependent on the phone app or other external source of data.

And that's always been the biggest point of differentiation between Garmin and Wahoo on paper. From a features perspective, Wahoo's navigation experience really doesn't compare favourably to Garmin; in real world use though and in terms of doing what it should when it should and not crapping out every other time, the Wahoo beats Garmin most of the time, in my experience.

Be keen to see how the 830 does in the longer term though as it looks like a nice unit, on paper.
Gotcha! I agree.
My only interest is in navigation and I dropped a Garmin in favour of a Wahoo simply because the Wahoo does what it is supposed to.
There are better route planners too than Garmin, so I just use them, typically cycle.travel. Linking that to the unit is technically (slightly) more involved than with Garmin, but the routing is better.

tom73

Guru
@Domus Enjoy it not much more to say my Wahoo has never missed. Works out the box simple to use and to set up. Sync's with most things without issue the few times it has gone funny just turn off and then back on and off you go again.

OP
OP
Domus

Domus

Guru
Been out for a short spin to test the Bolt, one issue arose, I have set the top LEDs to HR and my resting heart rate at 60 BPM and a max of 180 BPM but the LEDs just show 5 red lights all the time even though my HR was up and down during the ride. Any ideas?

Everything else seemed OK, will test the navigation tomorrow.

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
Been out for a short spin to test the Bolt, one issue arose, I have set the top LEDs to HR and my resting heart rate at 60 BPM and a max of 180 BPM but the LEDs just show 5 red lights all the time even though my HR was up and down during the ride. Any ideas?

Everything else seemed OK, will test the navigation tomorrow.

Definitely an issue with your actual heart. I would get it changed ASAP Frankenstein.

Top Bottom