Wahoo question

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Domus

Domus

Guru
Do you get turn by turn for free? :eek:

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
Komoot needs a one off investment of £30, and RWGPS needs a subscription either monthly or annually. Which is the best value? Leaning towards the one off Komoot.

Depends. Komoot has some pretty major software issues which can corrupt your routing causing you to get lost. Then it doesn’t work in the field wh3n you need it most. I am after 100% reliability so stopped using Komoot. It is also Jurassic when it comes to downloads. The routing to campsites is about the only thing I would ever use it for.

For easy touring cycle.travel is good. For slick uploads, advanced routing and avoidance of NCN routes, canal paths etc I am a paid up subscriber of RWGPS.

Nomadski

I Like Bikes
Against my better judgement I bought a Garmin edge 830 and after quite a few rides I can safely say it's exactly what all their other units should have been.

They've clearly (finally) significantly updated the processor as it's incredibly fast when zooming in and out of maps, is far faster at calculating routes uploaded (as in, it's done a 50 mile ride in less than 13 seconds).

The font is much cleaner and easier to read, it's got the appearance almost of a Kindle with the backlight on. The route is much cleaner on the map and had been easy to read even cycling in Spain these last few days.

The screen is also much better at reacting to touch, apparently it's much better with gloves now too though I haven't tested that yet. I also haven't tested wether rain affects it in any way, I know some had issues with the 820 with this.

My biggest issue with the 820 was battery life. With everything turned off save for gps, speed and cadence sensors my battery would run out while navigating within about 6-7 hours. 2 replacements hardly faired better.

I did a 6 hour ride yesterday in 30 degree heat with GPS and GLONASS on, speed cadence sensors connected and my phone's Bluetooth connected and I finished the ride with 84% battery life remaining.

I can't stress how much of a step up Garmin have made with this product. Imo the 800 was ok tho had fits occasionally, froze a couple of times and took ages with loading routes. The 810 my mate had seems to be a complete mess all round. The 820 was beyond frustrating with touch issues, small screen that was either hyper sensitive or lacked sensitivity depending on it's mood, slow performance on maps and loading routes and ridiculous battery life.

I'll try upload a video when I get home on Saturday of this things speed, but I'd recommend for those wanting a navigation bike computer to go in a shop and try it out, it's really very very good.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Good to read your 830 is performing so well, it sounds very impressive.

I think the difficulty Garmin have is they have pissed off so many potential customers with rubbish products for years. Personally I will never buy another Garmin product and I'm quite happy to tell anyone who asks how significantly superior the Wahoo is. Plus it's around £150 cheaper.

Word of mouth is both the best and worst advertising. Garmin got it very, very badly wrong for the last five years in my opinion.

Nomadski

I Like Bikes
Good to read your 830 is performing so well, it sounds very impressive.

I think the difficulty Garmin have is they have pissed off so many potential customers with rubbish products for years. Personally I will never buy another Garmin product and I'm quite happy to tell anyone who asks how significantly superior the Wahoo is. Plus it's around £150 cheaper.

Word of mouth is both the best and worst advertising. Garmin got it very, very badly wrong for the last five years in my opinion.

I certainly wouldn't disagree with you. It's such a shame after so many missteps they do come up with something so good, it will miss a lot of potential customers.

Their own fault, but I'm very happy I took the plunge.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
I certainly wouldn't disagree with you. It's such a shame after so many missteps they do come up with something so good, it will miss a lot of potential customers.

Their own fault, but I'm very happy I took the plunge.
I am genuinely pleased you have a good device which you are clearly very happy with.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
Thank you. I never play enough with these things. I'll try it out on Sunday when I'm on the club ride - we are doing a route I know like the back of my hand. I'll do "Take me to" "home" at the cafe and see what happens.
I've used 'take me to' for the first time this morning. As said, tap the + in Routes. I then just dropped a pin on the map at a random crossroads, tapped the arrow, and it loaded onto my Elemnt.
I'll probably use it a lot more often now I know it works. Only trial & error will discover whether it tries to route me on unsuitable roads.

OP
OP
Domus

Domus

Guru
Bolt worked superbly on the York to Hull night ride. Excellent battery life even with backlight on all night.
The turn by turn worked a treat on the ride to Victoria Station. I put in a short cut to the main road. The red lights flashed and the beeping sounded but stopped and picked up when I turned onto the correct road, all be it 1 Km further on.

Very pleased

OP
OP
Domus

Domus

Guru
RWGPS route of 30Km just tried.
Worked very well, would prefer a direction arrow at roundabouts, not easy reading “third exit” but not the end of the world.
One more question, where is the distance remaining field?

Top Bottom