Wahoo question

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Domus

Domus

Guru
Found it. Didn't realise some data fields are hidden and need searching for. More playing required.

Gotcha! I agree.
My only interest is in navigation and I dropped a Garmin in favour of a Wahoo simply because the Wahoo does what it is supposed to.
There are better route planners too than Garmin, so I just use them, typically cycle.travel. Linking that to the unit is technically (slightly) more involved than with Garmin, but the routing is better.
Would you mind explaining the steps to get a cycle.travel planned route into an Elemnt such that turn by turn navigation is possible please?
My 810 has found two new ways to taunt me and it's on borrowed time.

Against my better judgement I bought a Garmin edge 830 and after quite a few rides I can safely say it's exactly what all their other units should have been. <Big snip>
I'm genuinely pleased your 830 is working so well. When my 810 is working properly, it is brilliant - OK, not as quick as you describe the 830 to be, however it navigates well and saves data as it should. Trouble is, it is prone to sulking. It seems to me that when considering a Gormin device, you have to decide if you feel lucky. If I heard nothing but good things from many people I'd consider another Gormin unit, however spent a week cycling with my brother last week. My 810 switched off twice, froze once, randomly changed fields on the display once, refused to pair with my phone. Brother's Elemnt worked perfectly. Sorry to rant a bit.

Edited to add, Gormin deliberately mis spelled to prevent this website turning the Gormin word in to a link against my wishes.

bluezelos

Would you mind explaining the steps to get a cycle.travel planned route into an Elemnt such that turn by turn navigation is possible please?

To get a planned route on to my Wahoo Elemnt Bolt, I simply go to Ride With GPS site on my laptop, plan my route and save it. Make sure your Wahoo Elemnt app is synced with Ride With GPS then simply open the Wahoo App on your phone, turn on your wahoo device, pair it with your phone, and thats it, it automatically downloads the route to your device, simple as that. It automatically gives you turn by turn navigation when using Ride With GPS.

I had a Garmin 820 Explore, I changed to the Wahoo, will never go back to a Garmin.

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog

Without actually physically doing it while I write this, because that would be more accurate and how my brain works: I remember you need to export the cycle.travel route to Dropbox, then I think you import it from there. You need to set up your Elemnt so it has permission to access Dropbox.

These days though I am tending to plan directly into RWGPS which links straight to the Elemnt. Just quicker and simpler. Even when sat in a campsite planning your next leg.

To get a planned route on to my Wahoo Elemnt Bolt, I simply go to Ride With GPS site on my laptop, plan my route and save it. Make sure your Wahoo Elemnt app is synced with Ride With GPS then simply open the Wahoo App on your phone, turn on your wahoo device, pair it with your phone, and thats it, it automatically downloads the route to your device, simple as that. It automatically gives you turn by turn navigation when using Ride With GPS.

I had a Garmin 820 Explore, I changed to the Wahoo, will never go back to a Garmin.

Thanks @bluezelos. My brother has an Elemnt and that's the process he follows. I'm afraid I prefer the routing that cycle.travel produces so if I were to move to Wahoo, being able to use cycle.travel is an absolute must have.

To further confuse matters, I created a route in cycle.travel, then manually replicated it in my RWGPS account - so there was no electronic linkage. My brother copied my route to his account, synched as described and guess what, no turn by turn instructions. It seems even the most minor departure from the normal process throws up challenges. I'm not having a go at Wahoo by the way, just illustrating how minor departures from the normal process can mess things up.

Without actually physically doing it while I write this, because that would be more accurate and how my brain works: I remember you need to export the cycle.travel route to Dropbox, then I think you import it from there. You need to set up your Elemnt so it has permission to access Dropbox.

These days though I am tending to plan directly into RWGPS which links straight to the Elemnt. Just quicker and simpler. Even when sat in a campsite planning your next leg.
Thanks, the dropbox step I wouldn't have guessed. Can you remember which file format you use to export from Cycle.Travel please, and do you use the option given in C.T to announce turns in advance?

Sorry to ask for such detail. My aim is to understand the process in sufficient detail so I can write it up then get my brother, who lives overseas, to trial it. He created a route in RWGPS when we were together last week and it routed us through a farmyard and onto an impassable footpath. C.T produced a perfect route.

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
Thanks, the dropbox step I wouldn't have guessed. Can you remember which file format you use to export from Cycle.Travel please, and do you use the option given in C.T to announce turns in advance?

Sorry to ask for such detail. My aim is to understand the process in sufficient detail so I can write it up then get my brother, who lives overseas, to trial it. He created a route in RWGPS when we were together last week and it routed us through a farmyard and onto an impassable footpath. C.T produced a perfect route.

I use GPX and TCX. GPX just gives you a breadcrumb trail and TCX tells you road names and 30m prompts etc. If I’m feeling lazy the advance prompts are handy, but I’ve never made an error using breadcrumb trails. I am just more alert. TXCX takes up more memory and uses more battery but that has never been an issue for my Elemnt.

Nomadski

I Like Bikes
I'm genuinely pleased your 830 is working so well. When my 810 is working properly, it is brilliant - OK, not as quick as you describe the 830 to be, however it navigates well and saves data as it should. Trouble is, it is prone to sulking. It seems to me that when considering a Gormin device, you have to decide if you feel lucky. If I heard nothing but good things from many people I'd consider another Gormin unit, however spent a week cycling with my brother last week. My 810 switched off twice, froze once, randomly changed fields on the display once, refused to pair with my phone. Brother's Elemnt worked perfectly. Sorry to rant a bit.

Edited to add, Gormin deliberately mis spelled to prevent this website turning the Gormin word in to a link against my wishes.

I never owned an 810 but a mate does and he had no end of problems with it. The 800 and 820 never switched off as you described but they did both have their own issues which were frustrating. Between them all the 800 was by far the most reliable. Still no where near justifying it's cost.

Don't want to go on about it as this is clearly a wahoo focused thread but the 830 (at least in my experience with my unit) is brill. Btw It took just 48 seconds to find my new location in the UK having been switched off near Gibraltar.

PaulSB

Legendary Member

I suspect the farmyard and footpath issue is more to do with the planner than RWGPS. It's difficult to make RWGPS deviate from cyclable routes.

For example locally we have two sections of abandoned road which are now footpath and cyclepath. To route on to these it is necessary to switch from cycling to walking as RWGPS simply will not route on to these sections in cycle mode.

I've never used cycle.travel and have always found RWGPS simple and adequate for turn by turn navigation. If you want to use Dropbox in Wahoo simply go to:

Connected Apps
Select Dropbox

As an aside I just tried routing from my home in to my local town using cycle travel. It sent me down an inaccessible footpath, along the canal, up steps from the towpath on to an A road and though the back streets of a local housing estate thus putting in unnecessary turns across busy dual carriageway and A roads. RWGPS doesn't do this on the same ride!! My usual route requires three right turns, cycle travel put in more than I could be bothered to count!!!!

If you want to use a Wahoo I suggest going with RWGPS. It's simple and works every time.

Last edited:
I suspect the farmyard and footpath issue is more to do with the planner than RWGPS. It's difficult to make RWGPS deviate from cyclable routes.

For example locally we have two sections of abandoned road which are now footpath and cyclepath. To route on to these it is necessary to switch from cycling to walking as RWGPS simply will not route on to these sections in cycle mode.

I've never used cycle.travel and have always found RWGPS simple and adequate for turn by turn navigation. If you want to use Dropbox in Wahoo simply go to:

Connected Apps
Select Dropbox

As an aside I just tried routing from my home in to my local town using cycle travel. It sent me down an inaccessible footpath, along the canal, up steps from the towpath on to an A road and though the back streets of a local housing estate thus putting in unnecessary turns across busy dual carriageway and A roads. RWGPS doesn't do this on the same ride!! My usual route requires three right turns, cycle travel put in more than I could be bothered to count!!!!

If you want to use a Wahoo I suggest going with RWGPS. It's simple and works every time.

Thanks for that.

I guess none are perfect, all have to be operated appropriately and we all have our favourites.

C.T will route for short distances down paths to avoid busy road sections, for example, and shows the path in green on the map. It is possible to select paved only, should that be desired.

I do find that routing idiosyncrasies in all routing websites are often the result of errors and / or omissions with the Open Source Map and when I find them, I correct them. Daft things like a cycle path simply not being linked at one end on the map even though it is on the ground will prevent it being routed.

OP
OP
Domus

Domus

Guru
Yet another question.
If while using turn by turn I change my mind and want to go home for example and I know where I am, do I stop the ride or ignore the beeps and flashing lights? If I do stop the ride will It still record?

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
Yes, you can stop the route. It'll still record the whole ride.
On an Elemnt, it is the left button 'ROUTE', and you get the option to quit the route.

Edit: Or just ignore the red LED's. They'll stop after a while, anyway!

Top Bottom