Wahoo Silent Kickr/Kickr Core Faults

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ajsn

Great to hear that! I'll have the flywheel balanced on August while out on vacation. Will report back with the outcome.

So far, thank you very much for all the information and resourses!

Have you solved the issue with your Kickr? I'm also from Brazil and have a Core that started with some noise and vibration two days ago.
Hope you solved it and that you may give me some hints on how to get the parts here.

theboxers

TheBoxers on Cycle Sim sw
Well the 3rd kickr18 has now developed a severe vibration. A year off of the bike due to medical problems has caused me to end up with a £1k paperweight :cursing:.

I've been going through this thread to pick up all the relevent info. I'm putting an order list together to try and repair it. I'll continue to use it, as I am currently in covid19 isolation from travelling so can't ride outside :cry:

Wish me luck :sad:

OP
OP
CXRAndy

CXRAndy

Guru
All the best Boxer's with your repair.

I would try and find a company that can do dynamic balancing for a reasonable price.

Then after that is done replace the bearings. Did I post what size they were? I might have a spare unused pair-they weren't expensive to buy.

From memory the flywheel rotates around 1000-3000 rpm depending on gearing and cadence.

theboxers

All the best Boxer's with your repair.

I would try and find a company that can do dynamic balancing for a reasonable price.

Then after that is done replace the bearings. Did I post what size they were? I might have a spare unused pair-they weren't expensive to buy.

From memory the flywheel rotates around 1000-3000 rpm depending on gearing and cadence.
Thanks @CXRAndy.

I have ordered everything, bolts, washers, bearings etc. I'm replacing everything I can. Came to about £28. Most of the money went on loctite and lead tape. The bearings, all 3, came to £8 iirc.

I'm gonna be trying to balance the flywheel myself using the video in this thread as I don't have the money to get it done by someone else.

I may have to invest in a few tools to get the bearings out and in. I'll know once I've taken it apart.

OP
OP
CXRAndy

CXRAndy

Guru
You can use a cheap bearing slide hammer kit to remove or even cheaper a piece of rod and tap the bearings out from the other side

Last edited:
OP
OP
CXRAndy

CXRAndy

Guru

Yes, I have something similar with a slide hammer attachment.

The bearing press I used a thread bar and correctly sized washers.

You will probably find that the bearing nearest to the heavy flywheel is floating,(loose) and the one on the other end is firmly sat in its housing. It didn't take much effort to pull out with my slide hammer. You might see a fair bit of black/brown powder from the fretting corrosion. There could be also damage to the flywheel shaft if badly worn. (see my pictures).

Re balance of the flywheel- set the flywheel up on a homemade jig which allows the least friction, so that any weight imbalance can hopefully be seen by the flywheel wanting to repeatedly rotate to the heavy bottom position. Very gently rotate the flywheel and see if it settles back to a point. Temporarily stick small weights until the flywheel sits stationary no matter what position you rotate it to.

The important bit is making a jig with sharp mounting points on the shaft. Check out YouTube and engineering forums for examples of jigs. I saw a few made with angle iron for the frame and X pattern with very sharp bladed steel to support the flywheel shaft. You could counterbalance the flywheel weight by mounting a new bearing on the opposite end and add strapping to hang the same weight around the outer race of the bearing.

Hopefully there isnt too much stiction to stop gentle free rotation of the flywheel.

Id be surprised you could balance the flywheel whilst mounted in the turbo- I would expect the bearing stiction would prevent the flywheel from moving especially if its only a few grams out of balance

Good luck :okay:

Last edited:

theboxers

@CXRAndy Having looked at your pics in the first post again I'm wondering if the vibration is down to the bent/dished washer. This could allow a back and forth movement of the shaft along its centre-line (iyswim). Not something that would be very obvious initially, due to tolerances. But as the dish gets worse there would be more room for movement leading to more dishing etc. etc.

I haven't dismantalled mine just yet, waiting for parts to arrive. But it'll be interesting to just nip the shaft up on the original bearings with a new washer and flanged bolt to see if the vibration reduces.

They will be both replaced before serious sessions begin.

:unsure:

OP
OP
CXRAndy

CXRAndy

Guru
It would be nice if it was as you describe. I think it is a balancing issue, due to the design with having a heavy weight on the end of a shaft, as it go out of balance a lever effect pivots the other end of the shaft ever so slightly thousands of times per minute. This loads up the bearing causing it to wear more rapidly, increasing the play of the lever effect-starts eating into shaft. Until at a certain point the wobble becomes heard as vibration. If there was close examination of the so called sorted kickr to see what Wahoo did to resolve the issue.

The Tacx and others use a flywheel mounted more centrally to reduce this lever effect. Saying that the early Kickrs didnt have this issue. So I can only put it down to poor tolerances in the flywheel balance. I changed my bearings, even glued the races to the shell housings, and whilst it temporarily cured the vibration is came back quickly- I was using a worn shaft and questionable flywheel out of balance.

post pictures of any damage you find:okay:

theboxers

Will get pics as I go through the process.

I do agree that there is a balance issue, I hope to cure most of it with some lead tape.

These however

20181002_165819-jpg.jpg

20181002_100117-jpg.jpg

are different to this

img_20181012_061252471-jpg.jpg

The allen bolt has been replaced by a wider hex bolt that, to me, would seem to be an effort to prevent the dishing of the washer.

Edit: Didn't realise it was a core, but I think the same applies

This is the route I am going to go down.

Thanks for you help in this. I'll report the outcome, good or bad :unsure:

Last edited:
OP
OP
CXRAndy

CXRAndy

Guru
The shaft has a shoulder for the slotted pulley to sit against. The pulley is slightly longer, so a thin washer cups when torqued down. When you remove the pulley, see if you see any brown powder around the shaft and bearing surface. This will be the first clue to the extent of damage.

At this point you could see if the flywheel will rotate when gently pushed and settle on the heavy side(put a sticker or mark the flywheel to see if it returns)

You could remove the rubber seals from the bearings, this is where most of the stiction drag comes from on bearings, along with washing the bearings in solvent and reapply a thin oil as opposed to grease. If these two methods help the flywheel rotate in the turbo then there might not be need to build a jig.

. Also listen very carefully when the belt is off for a tiny click or knock as the flywheel is gently rotated by hand. It will tell you that there is a flat spot in the bearings.

JhnBssll

Veteran
Urgh, I said the other day my Kickr has been working well so of course now it has started making some nasty noises :sad: I've sent a mail over to Wahoo customer services to see what they say but am not expecting much as its about 9 months out of warranty.

Video of my issue here: https://photos.app.goo.gl/o982PZJYUNLXks7JA

It's intermittent, and I've got no accompanying vibration - so worst case I'll take it apart and work out whats rubbing I guess :rolleyes: Frustrating - these things aren't cheap, you'd think they'd be more reliable!

OP
OP
CXRAndy

CXRAndy

Guru
Urgh, I said the other day my Kickr has been working well so of course now it has started making some nasty noises :sad: I've sent a mail over to Wahoo customer services to see what they say but am not expecting much as its about 9 months out of warranty.

Video of my issue here: https://photos.app.goo.gl/o982PZJYUNLXks7JA

It's intermittent, and I've got no accompanying vibration - so worst case I'll take it apart and work out whats rubbing I guess :rolleyes: Frustrating - these things aren't cheap, you'd think they'd be more reliable!

Check the black plastic cowling to the right side of the flywheel, it can catch. One of my replacements did it. I tried a hairdryer and some force to lever it away. Also you could try cut away part that is catching with sharp scalpel or its a disassembly job to access cowling fully

Last edited:

JhnBssll

Veteran
Check the black plastic cowling to the right side of the flywheel, it can catch. One of my replacements did it. I tried a hairdryer and some force to lever it away. Also you could try cut away part that is catching with sharp scalpel or its a disassembly job to access cowling fully

Cheers Andy. I suspected the same. I'll wait to hear back from Wahoo and go from there. If they don't offer any help I'll trim the plastic down, but really shouldn't need to do that on such an expensive piece of kit :sad:

JhnBssll

Veteran
I heard back from Wahoo today - they've offered to replace the unit with a new one :okay: They also apologised sincerely for the fact that this will now be my fourth trainer, having had 2 faulty Kickr Cores prior to the problems with this Kickr 2018. Fair play to them, they didnt have to replace it, but it does seem like the right thing to do under the circumstances :laugh: I'm now awaiting returns details and a TNT collection slot :okay: Hopefully the replacement won't take too long as it'll mess up my Sufferfest training plan :laugh:

Top Bottom