Wahoo Silent Kickr/Kickr Core Faults

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

JhnBssll

Veteran
I used my Kickr18 Platinum for the first time in a while last week and was pleased to find it's still running silently with only a few minor vibrations that were there from new :okay:

Portoga

Hello guys!

Greetings from Brazil!

I was wondering if there is some sort of fretting/vibration resistant bearings that can be used to replace the original bearings on the 2018 Kickr?

OP
OP
CXRAndy

CXRAndy

Guru
Hello guys!

Greetings from Brazil!

I was wondering if there is some sort of fretting/vibration resistant bearings that can be used to replace the original bearings on the 2018 Kickr?

Im not aware of particular bearings. You could try a pair of angular thrust bearings. I found a supplier but didn't order, each bearing was £100!

The underlying issue seems to be flywheel imbalance. Try and find a company to dynamic balance flywheel and refit new original bearings

Portoga

Im not aware of particular bearings. You could try a pair of angular thrust bearings. I found a supplier but didn't order, each bearing was £100!

The underlying issue seems to be flywheel imbalance. Try and find a company to dynamic balance flywheel and refit new original bearings

Luckily, there are lots of places in Sao Paulo and surronding cities that perform dynamic balancing. If I do that and refit new bearings, do you think the vibration issue will be permanently solved?

OP
OP
CXRAndy

CXRAndy

Guru
Luckily, there are lots of places in Sao Paulo and surronding cities that perform dynamic balancing. If I do that and refit new bearings, do you think the vibration issue will be permanently solved?

There was one chap who posted from the USA having had his flywheel balanced. He commented it was vastly improved with no vibrations. Good luck-report back if you get your flywheel done and the results.

Portoga

Great to hear that! I'll have the flywheel balanced on August while out on vacation. Will report back with the outcome.

So far, thank you very much for all the information and resourses!

OP
OP
CXRAndy

CXRAndy

Guru
Sorry to bring this up again but do you know where I can get the K118 kit (apart from Wahoo) I have bought a second hand Kickr with the knocking problem.

Have you tried asking Wahoo to sell you a kit? Alternatively, you can remove this bolt, take pulley off and apply a small amount of loctite 641 to pulley shaft and Woodruff key. Replace the washer with slightly thicker one, because its usually cupped due to tightening. You dont need to apply lots of torque to tighten the bolt, nip it tight and just a little more. The loctite will do the rest

To get the belt off, unwind the tensioner bolt(count how many turns you make). Refit is opposite counting turns back on to apply same tension

vwcamper776

Have you tried asking Wahoo to sell you a kit? Alternatively, you can remove this bolt, take pulley off and apply a small amount of loctite 641 to pulley shaft and Woodruff key. Replace the washer with slightly thicker one, because its usually cupped due to tightening. You dont need to apply lots of torque to tighten the bolt, nip it tight and just a little more. The loctite will do the rest

To get the belt off, unwind the tensioner bolt(count how many turns you make). Refit is opposite counting turns back on to apply same tension View attachment 490662
Thank you so much for the info excellent. I haven’t contacted them as yet. Thought I could get it from somewhere else but I will try. Thank you

Poopydoop

Hello, just joined after reading this thread.

Just bought a brand new Core a few days back in the UK. So November 2019 and it has vibration issues when pedalling. I can feel it through my feet and the bars, no associated odd noises though. No vibration when coasting funnily enough...

If it was imbalance of the flywheel wouldn't it vibrate when not pedalling too?

Thanks for the info guys!

OP
OP
CXRAndy

CXRAndy

Guru
Hello, just joined after reading this thread.

Just bought a brand new Core a few days back in the UK. So November 2019 and it has vibration issues when pedalling. I can feel it through my feet and the bars, no associated odd noises though. No vibration when coasting funnily enough...

If it was imbalance of the flywheel wouldn't it vibrate when not pedalling too?

Thanks for the info guys!

Which cassette did you use? The supplied 105 I had on my Kickr was very noisy and did create a little vibration. I changed it to my Ultegra cass and the turbo was much quieter.

Best way is to post a video showing your issue.

Poopydoop

Hiya.

It's got the 10spd 105 cassette fitted straight from the Arkose 3 that is used on the trainer. Nice and quiet on the actual bike.

Tried my ht mtb a little earlier with a 1x11 Eagle setup (shim fitting NX cassette) which it's almost new. Again, felt the horrid vibrations through my feet and hands.

Not looking good...

JhnBssll

Veteran
If its brand new and it vibrates I would be speaking to customer services. By now they should be well versed in dealing with the issue and should be able to tell if it's a defective unit or another problem. These things aren't cheap, they should just work!

OP
OP
CXRAndy

CXRAndy

Guru
Turbo- Does sound suspect. I would have hoped Wahoo had sorted this by now. Go back to supplier. They should just replace, dont accept it going for repair. If supplier is awkward, contact Wahoo direct

Top Bottom