Wahoo Silent Kickr/Kickr Core Faults

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
CXRAndy

CXRAndy

Guru
Read this entire thread. Own a 2018 Smart. Used and not covered under warranty. The two fixes have decreased sound and palpable vibrations. But i believe the bearings are shot and need replacement. Wahoo charging $320 for parts and labor. Plus shipping on my dime. Anyone know what size bearings are required? They dont want to sell me the parts

Olomana

Yes
Bearings are NSK 6003DDU Rubber Sealed Deep Groove Ball Bearing 17x35x10mm (6003DDU-NSK)
Cost less than £20.
You will probably find that flywheel side bearing is loose in its housing whilst the drive side tight. A slide hammer bearing puller easily removes them. If you see lots of brown powder around the bearings, its most likely 'Fretting corrosion' caused by flywheel imbalance

olomana

Thanks. Ordering a few. Anyone having issues with bearings near the cassette? Maybe I’ll swap them all out?
Olomana

theboxers

TheBoxers on Cycle Sim sw
Mudderfudder :cursing::cursing::cursing::banghead:.

ToW Stage 7 has done for my Kickr18. I've got a vibration and pulsing noise, not the key way problem, from the flywheel.

Will be contacting Wahoo later :cry:

m.PC

Thanks. Ordering a few. Anyone having issues with bearings near the cassette? Maybe I’ll swap them all out?
Olomana
Have you replaced the bearings, and if so, has it fixed the noise and vibrations? My KICKR 2018 has been making horrible noise and vibrations. I replaced the keyway, but that didn't seem to reduce the noise at all, if anything it seems to be worse now...

OP
OP
CXRAndy

CXRAndy

Guru
Have you replaced the bearings, and if so, has it fixed the noise and vibrations? My KICKR 2018 has been making horrible noise and vibrations. I replaced the keyway, but that didn't seem to reduce the noise at all, if anything it seems to be worse now...

From my experience, I changed both sides of the flywheel bearings, which temporarily cured the vibration. The issue seems to be flywheel balance causing fretting corrosion damage to the flywheel shaft. Tell tale sign is brown dust around the bearings once flywheel removed. If you read the thread you will see pictures I posted of damage

Here saved you searching https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/wahoo-silent-kickr-kickr-core-faults.241225/post-5510591

Last edited:

theboxers

You should still be inside the window for a replacement. Mine started a minor vibration about a month ago, it kept shaking the flywheel hub cap out, but it really went bad a week or so ago. I contacted Wahoo and a replacement for my replacement, I had the keyway issue on my original kickr18 and chose a swap rather than kit, is being sent out.

You'll be off of the trainer for 10 days or so but will have a tested one without faults again.

m.PC

From my experience, I changed both sides of the flywheel bearings, which temporarily cured the vibration. The issue seems to be flywheel balance causing fretting corrosion damage to the flywheel shaft. Tell tale sign is brown dust around the bearings once flywheel removed. If you read the thread you will see pictures I posted of damage

Here saved you searching https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/wahoo-silent-kickr-kickr-core-faults.241225/post-5510591

Thanks for the link! I did notice a lot black dust outside the bearings when I was doing the keyway replacement. I'll see if there's brown dust on the inside, too, once I remove the flywheel shaft.

Another question, if you don't mind... Do you remember if the belt guide on the flywheel shaft was smooth on both sides? The side towards the bearings on mine seem to have jagged edges on it while the external side towards the bolt and washer are smooth. I was just curious if this was typical - I'd think it would have been machined smooth like the outside.

m.PC

You should still be inside the window for a replacement. Mine started a minor vibration about a month ago, it kept shaking the flywheel hub cap out, but it really went bad a week or so ago. I contacted Wahoo and a replacement for my replacement, I had the keyway issue on my original kickr18 and chose a swap rather than kit, is being sent out.

You'll be off of the trainer for 10 days or so but will have a tested one without faults again.

Unfortunately this unit has no warranty, so it's all DIY repairs for me. I had originally thought the units were only experiencing the keyway issues.

OP
OP
CXRAndy

CXRAndy

Guru
Thanks for the link! I did notice a lot black dust outside the bearings when I was doing the keyway replacement. I'll see if there's brown dust on the inside, too, once I remove the flywheel shaft.

Another question, if you don't mind... Do you remember if the belt guide on the flywheel shaft was smooth on both sides? The side towards the bearings on mine seem to have jagged edges on it while the external side towards the bolt and washer are smooth. I was just curious if this was typical - I'd think it would have been machined smooth like the outside.

Black dust/brown dust will be the flywheel shaft damage. The issue you possibly will encounter when trying to slide the flywheel out of the unit. The shaft will have a worn lip next to the bearing. This will stop the shaft easily sliding out.

flywheel removal method if jammed. Buy a spare bolt correct size and 3 washers larger than shaft diameter. Fit bolt with washers spaced between head and flywheel surface. Hit bolt head with large hammer to drive shaft through bearing. The large washers will stop flywheel coming fully out of unit. Then remove bolt and washers. You will end up with picture of one bearing on flywheel.

With a file smooth away lip on shaft and second bearing will then slide off.

Clean up and refit new bearing s

Re the belt guide, having marks on it. Not experienced that but its vital to get pulley aligned with bigger pulley or it will squeak as belt travels around.

m.PC

Black dust/brown dust will be the flywheel shaft damage. The issue you possibly will encounter when trying to slide the flywheel out of the unit. The shaft will have a worn lip next to the bearing. This will stop the shaft easily sliding out.

flywheel removal method if jammed. Buy a spare bolt correct size and 3 washers larger than shaft diameter. Fit bolt with washers spaced between head and flywheel surface. Hit bolt head with large hammer to drive shaft through bearing. The large washers will stop flywheel coming fully out of unit. Then remove bolt and washers. You will end up with picture of one bearing on flywheel.

With a file smooth away lip on shaft and second bearing will then slide off.

Clean up and refit new bearing s

Re the belt guide, having marks on it. Not experienced that but its vital to get pulley aligned with bigger pulley or it will squeak as belt travels around.
Thanks for the advice!

I received the bearings today, so I plan to take it apart in the next couple days once I gather the tools - fortunately the auto parts store loans out a slide hammer and blind bearing removal tools. I will take some pictures of what the parts look inside just for overall documentation purposes to add to the thread.

Did you use the slide hammer to install the new bearings or use a bearing press?

OP
OP
CXRAndy

CXRAndy

Guru
Did you use the slide hammer to install the new bearings or use a bearing press

I pressed them using a long bolt, nut and washers-slightly bigger than bearing diameter, very easy to do. On my Kickr, it was the drive side which needed pressing.

The flywheel side bearing was loose! Not sure if that was intentional or just poor design tolerances.

Behind the flywheel side bearing is a spring thrust washer next to the speed sensor chequer plate, when reassembling don't push the flywheel too hard into the mechanism- else the chequer plate gets scratched(fortunately not where the pick up sensor is located) I took note of how far the flywheel shaft projected out from the bearing, so has to get the correct position on reassembly.

I have some more videos/ photos if you want to see?

m.PC

I pressed them using a long bolt, nut and washers-slightly bigger than bearing diameter, very easy to do. On my Kickr, it was the drive side which needed pressing.

The flywheel side bearing was loose! Not sure if that was intentional or just poor design tolerances.

Behind the flywheel side bearing is a spring thrust washer next to the speed sensor chequer plate, when reassembling don't push the flywheel too hard into the mechanism- else the chequer plate gets scratched(fortunately not where the pick up sensor is located) I took note of how far the flywheel shaft projected out from the bearing, so has to get the correct position on reassembly.

I have some more videos/ photos if you want to see?

Hmm, I hope I didn't damage the chequer plate when I inserted the keyway since I put it as far back as possible as the instructions said from Wahoo, but still left the documented 2mm flywheel gap size - I guess I'll find out when I remove the flywheel. That was the one part they didn't include much of a picture for in their instructions - just as an arrow with key location...

I haven't removed it yet, still have to stop at the auto store. I like your method to press the bearings in - I'll pick up a similar setup. Some sites said to use the slide hammer for install, too, of bearings, but it seemed a bit rough.

Thanks again for following up!

OP
OP
CXRAndy

CXRAndy

Guru
Pressing bearing with suitable sized washers is much kinder on the bearing

Attachments

• 20190611_090054.jpg
    20190611_090054.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 107

theboxers

New Kickr18 Platinum is up and running. No vibrations or keyway noise. Back to silent running, for the kickr.

Now it's the bike with the issues, not of my making. A bent hanger and mech that need replacing :cursing::banghead:. Parts ordered just waiting for them to arrive.:cry:

Top Bottom