Waiting for Red lights in London.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Lonestar

Veteran
The worst thing about a Fnrttc from Hype Park Corner was getting to the start. The dedicated Cs3 lights in Parliament Square seemed to ignore cyclists completely. Have they improved in the last year?

I don't generally cycle that far up....only really throwing a left onto Westminster Bridge from the easterly direction.when I use that route as I avoid it when it's busy.Then again the layouts on the CS 2 weren't much better although I use very little of that now.

Dan B

Disengaged member
Exactly. I don't do it my car so I don't do it on bike.

Faulty lights however ...
I don't know why I'm arguing the toss here, other than that this seems to be a red light jumping thread and precedent demands it, but you said upthread that you'll dismount and walk your bike across a junction if the lights are badly phased. Why is this OK to do on a bike, but "get out and push" is not OK in a car?

I'll give you my answer and see if you agree: because bikes and cars are not the same as each other. Whether or not it's "OK" to ride a bike through a red light at a deserted junction at dark o'clock in the morning is a valid[*] discussion and should probably be decided based on whether it's safe, considerate, sensible and socially responsible to do so in whatever circumstances, rather than on whether the same act would be OK when driving a motor vehicle. False equivalence.

[*] notice I don't say "interesting" here

subaqua

What’s the point
I don't know why I'm arguing the toss here, other than that this seems to be a red light jumping thread and precedent demands it, but you said upthread that you'll dismount and walk your bike across a junction if the lights are badly phased. Why is this OK to do on a bike, but "get out and push" is not OK in a car?

I'll give you my answer and see if you agree: because bikes and cars are not the same as each other. Whether or not it's "OK" to ride a bike through a red light at a deserted junction at dark o'clock in the morning is a valid[*] discussion and should probably be decided based on whether it's safe, considerate, sensible and socially responsible to do so in whatever circumstances, rather than on whether the same act would be OK when driving a motor vehicle. False equivalence.

[*] notice I don't say "interesting" here

Ok for clarity.

I cross on the pedestrian crossing if its quicker than waiting at lights. It has been known for me to get off and use crossings to turn left as its quicker.

on the olympic park theres a set of lights that there has a cycle lane taking you onto shared use crossing or you can use the road. i choose which ones giving me the "green light" . sometimes its the road, sometmes its the cycle track/lane

you want to ignore red lights on your bike feel free. but don't whinge when you get squished because you didn't stop , or look properly . and i know the next response will be some smart ass one about green not being a free for all to go. and drivers should be able to stop in the distance they can see to be clear. that will be a great comfort when you get wiped out I am sure

when I get vitriol from whanquers using 4 wheels about cyclists jumping lights and yer all the farking same it does peeve me somewhat.

my favourite game at the moment is catching and passing FKW light ignorers on my trekking/tourer with loaded panniers . without giving it beans.

Dan B

Disengaged member
In summary, your (quite understandable) reasons for not going through red lights on a bicycle have approximately nothing at all to do with whether or not you'd do the same thing in a car

subaqua

What’s the point
In summary, your (quite understandable) reasons for not going through red lights on a bicycle have approximately nothing at all to do with whether or not you'd do the same thing in a car
Incorrrct

The reason I don't go through red lights is that it is illegal .

If there were special lanes for cars that meant I could do what I do on bike then I would .

Sometimes I even carry my bike . Impractical in a car . Even a g wiz

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Sometimes, when I am approaching a pelican crossing on my bike and the person who pressed the button has already crossed the road and gone, if there's no one else in sight I cycle through the red light. I know, bad me, put me in prison.
And given that pelicans wait a while after a button press (at least 6 seconds IIRC) and then start looking very conservatively for a gap with no motor vehicles over a sensor and if there are any, it only changes where it gets to the maximum permitted 66 seconds... quite often whoever pushed the button has crossed and is long gone by the time the light bothers to change. Unless they can't move quickly enough to cross regardless but apparently it's OK to discriminate against disabled people when it's enshrined in Department for Transport LTNs and TALs.</rant> :evil:

mustang1

Legendary Member
I do what the politicians do. ,
Exactly. I don't do it my car so I don't do it on bike.

Faulty lights however ...
You don't filter in your car so you don't filter on your bike? Whut whut? Ok so we are talking about lights, but just because you don't do something in a car doesn't mean you can't do it on a bike.

If the lights are red, the traffic is gridlocked, then why shouldn't a cyclist go in red? Similarly, it no pedestrians are crossing, and you don't cause a nuisance to other drivers, why shouldn't you go?

If we can't push the boundaries, how will the Idaho stop ever make it to the UK?

mustang1

Legendary Member
Ok for clarity.

I cross on the pedestrian crossing if its quicker than waiting at lights. It has been known for me to get off and use crossings to turn left as its quicker.

when I get vitriol from whanquers using 4 wheels about cyclists jumping lights and yer all the farking same it does peeve me somewhat.

I also get off the bike and take a left. Sometimes people just turn left without getting off their bikes, I'm fine with that too so long as they do not interfere with pedestrians. I do not see much wrong with just riding the bike turning left rather than going thru the rigmarole of getting off, walking, getting on again. It's just a bike, ride at walking speed when turning left is fine too.

If I get rubbish from drivers about "all cyclists being the same bunch of RLJers", it wouldn't bother me coz I do not stay at red lights to please them. My bike riding makes me happy; I do not ride in order to make drivers happy.

mustang1

Legendary Member
For anyone who says you absolutely must not go on red, how do you deal with as stuck red traffic light (like I was the other day)? Like do you just sit at the lights hoping they'll change within the next 30 minutes or do you go? And if it's ok to go on a stuck red light, why do you not go on a normally functioning red light?

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
I have on occasion been guilty of jumping the odd red light, but its down to the fact that either I dont realise the lights were going to change so quickly or i was going too fast at the time to come to a stop so I have no choice but to power right through it, I have however locked up the wheels a few times in an attempt to stop rather then rolling to a gradual stop and thats something I try to avoid doing.

99% of the time I stop. I see I commute to and from central london so I see cyclists from every walks of life jumping a red. Some are bicycle couriers & some are food delivery like Uber, Jinn or Deliveroo etc etc etc are some are just regular office folk on their way home.

Every few months around my area of work. The MET's Safer Cycling Team or whoever comes out and has a little crackdown on cyclists who cycle like tw@ts. Hand out a few warnings and FPNs then move to a different area.

Im not sure if its just a money grab though

Dan B

Disengaged member
I also get off the bike and take a left. Sometimes people just turn left without getting off their bikes, I'm fine with that too so long as they do not interfere with pedestrians. I do not see much wrong with just riding the bike turning left rather than going thru the rigmarole of getting off, walking, getting on again. It's just a bike, ride at walking speed when turning left is fine too.
Right. One of my bikes (actually, it's my wife's but I ride it sometimes) is a Christiania trike. How is getting off it and pushing it round the corner any better or worse[*] for anyone than riding it around the corner? If I have to get off, should I get the kids out as well? Just the two older one sat on the bench, or the baby in the car seat too?

[*] Actually, I know this one: it makes it less manageable on any kind of incline and more awkward to use the brake. But it will mean passing car drivers don't judge me, you say? Woop de fricking doop

Top Bottom