Waiting for Red lights in London.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dan B

Disengaged member
Because that would be insane, even if it's legal.
You seem to be suggesting that cars and bikes are in some way not the same

Milkfloat

An Peanut
and that we mustn't cycle across zebras (legalised in general 2016 and occasionally beforehand).

Legalised in 2016? Can you expand on this please, are you saying it is legal to ride across a Zebra from pavement to pavement, I thought it was only allowed on a Toucan?

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Legalised in 2016? Can you expand on this please, are you saying it is legal to ride across a Zebra from pavement to pavement, I thought it was only allowed on a Toucan?
Again my short summary wasn't the whole story. Sorry. Technically, it's always been legal to ride over a zebra (the painted bit is just carriageway which you were allowed to ride on anyway as long as basically not hitting pedestrians) but there's now a version with slightly different markings where the carriageway traffic should stop for cycles too, as seen at http://cycle.st/p84611

Milkfloat

An Peanut
Again my short summary wasn't the whole story. Sorry. Technically, it's always been legal to ride over a zebra (the painted bit is just carriageway which you were allowed to ride on anyway as long as basically not hitting pedestrians) but there's now a version with slightly different markings where the carriageway traffic should stop for cycles too, as seen at http://cycle.st/p84611

Ahh ok, I get you. I thought that these had been around before 2016 though?

mustang1

Guru
Yes, the name isn't helpful. I deliberately said "some form of Idaho stop" in recognition of the variations that have been implemented elsewhere. Eg Wikipedia mentions the Paris implementation, which allows cyclists to pass red traffic lights.

If introduced in the UK there would have to be a campaign of driver education first. Actually, most UK drivers need educating...
If the drivers need educating, it's only to stop them getting annoyed about cyclists going thru red lights. A PR thing. But you're right, they need educating on a whole host of road-related issues and they can start with the "they don't pay road tax" brigade.

mustang1

Guru
Call me old-fashioned but I stop at red lights.

In fact, I'm probably one of the few people (in a car or on a bike) who comes to a stop at this type of sign too.
Most seem to treat it as optional.

View attachment 364541

I always stop at those lines too coz it was drummed into me thats what I must do while I was in USA but only coz they're are cops nearby waiting to ticket you.

There wasn't nearly as much pressure to stop at red lights as there was at stop signs.

Tim Hall

Yes, the name isn't helpful. I deliberately said "some form of Idaho stop" in recognition of the variations that have been implemented elsewhere. Eg Wikipedia mentions the Paris implementation, which allows cyclists to pass red traffic lights.

If introduced in the UK there would have to be a campaign of driver education first. Actually, most UK drivers need educating...
Just imagine what would happen if everyone had their own interpretation of an Idaho Stop. Everyone would be living in their own private Idaho.

Wobblers

Euthermic
For anyone who says you absolutely must not go on red, how do you deal with as stuck red traffic light (like I was the other day)? Like do you just sit at the lights hoping they'll change within the next 30 minutes or do you go? And if it's ok to go on a stuck red light, why do you not go on a normally functioning red light?

I know where are a few lights that will not change for you - but do so instantly when a car appears. They just don't detect cyclists, so you could wait there forever. I must confess I treat those as a give way, the scofflaw that I am...

KnackeredBike

I do my own stunts
I know where are a few lights that will not change for you - but do so instantly when a car appears. They just don't detect cyclists, so you could wait there forever. I must confess I treat those as a give way, the scofflaw that I am...
The ones around here wait fifteen seconds then change the lights. So they do detect you, they are just programmed to piss everyone off, most of all cyclists, by making them stop.

Reactions: mjr
Top Bottom