Waiting for Red lights in London.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Red light on any crossing means STOP, not stop if you feel like doing so.
A common misconception. Read the regulations, or try complaining to the highway authority about crossing timings that don't comply with transport policies that claim walking and cycling get priority. It is not an offence to cross on red if you can see it's safe to do so - you could even argue that triggering a push button crossing unnecessarily is obstruction.

classic33

Leg End Member
A common misconception. Read the regulations, or try complaining to the highway authority about crossing timings that don't comply with transport policies that claim walking and cycling get priority. It is not an offence to cross on red if you can see it's safe to do so - you could even argue that triggering a push button crossing unnecessarily is obstruction.
Everything read says Red means STOP. Not stop if you feel like stopping.

Added
http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/1997/2400/regulation/23/made

Last edited:

mjr

Could you quote the part which supports this?
Can I quote the bit that doesn't make it an offence? Not easily! It's not made an offence anywhere in TSRGD or any other legislation. The strongest is that people walking or cycling "should" not cross on red. Can you quote the part which makes it an offence?

Tim Hall

Can I quote the bit that doesn't make it an offence? Not easily! It's not made an offence anywhere in TSRGD or any other legislation. The strongest is that people walking or cycling "should" not cross on red. Can you quote the part which makes it an offence?
Please post reasons instead of useless noise!

mjr

Are you talking about pavement cyclists crossing the carriageway, or cyclists travelling along the carriageway?
Neither. Cyclists crossing between cycle tracks or greenways at toucans or puffins.

Lonestar

Veteran
Exactly. I don't do it my car so I don't do it on bike.

Faulty lights however ...

The CS 3 has appallingly phased lights that's if they work at all in the early mornings.Luckily for me I take car dominated routes which generally have traffic lights that work properly.

There were less RLJers in the 90's as opposed to what there are now.(IMHO)

Last edited:
Top Bottom